cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

battery vent box

rainmanrv
Explorer
Explorer
hello fifth wheelers I have a 2011 heartland sundance and would like to change from 1 12volt battery and go to 2-6volt battery.I did this before with my travel trailer with no problem.my front compartment were they will go is seal right now. I need vented and sealed battery box camping world says there is no such box for deep cell 6volts battery. Can i use the standard deep cell battery box and vented it with some 2in hose. I am concerned about the gas it could give off because these box are not sealed. any ideas would be helpful.
12 REPLIES 12

Chandalen
Explorer
Explorer
Lear: I did see that site, and I built my fan off that idea. I'm using a 12v dc fan that's 'sparkless' (found on a marine forum)
It's just just a tad smaller than a computer power supply fan. It does look suspiciously like one too.

4x4: I think blowing in world be a very bad idea. Instead of pulling the trace gas out, i would be pushing it into an otherwise closed compartment. Even with a proper hole on the floor of the battery compertment, hydrogen gas is lighter than air by a good bit.

I think all a fan blowing in will do is help to keep the hydrogen -inside- the camper.
'08 Sierra 5th wheel bunk house
'04 F350 6.0L (bulletproofish now)
470ah GC2 battery bank, 500w Solar /w TS-45 Controller, 2k Pure Sine Inverter
Active Duty Army

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
are you can use a purpose built ventilator here link...............
2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, Onan 5500, Disc Brakes, 17.5" tires
B&W Ram Companion

4x4FF
Explorer
Explorer
Chandalen wrote:
I built a box for mine... (four 6v GC2 batteries)

I added a fan to the vent tube to assist in pulling air out... because I have that kind of time.

You may want the fan to be blowing in instead of pulling out. The vent is on there for hydrogen gas (read...hindenburg) which is highly flammable. If you are pulling out you are running the hydrogen across the fan which can create a spark. Some use a bilge blower for a boat to blow in for added safety.

Steve
'07 39' Pilgrim Open Road 5th Wheel
'18 F350 Platinum 6.7 Powerstroke

Chandalen
Explorer
Explorer
I built a box for mine... (four 6v GC2 batteries)

I added a fan to the vent tube to assist in pulling air out... because I have that kind of time.
'08 Sierra 5th wheel bunk house
'04 F350 6.0L (bulletproofish now)
470ah GC2 battery bank, 500w Solar /w TS-45 Controller, 2k Pure Sine Inverter
Active Duty Army

4x4FF
Explorer
Explorer
As others have replied I just used the following NOCO box for my 2 6v batteries. I just did the switch last weekend.

allbetterysalesandservice HM426

Is the best price I have found. I just modified the top to accept the vent hose. Actually I cut the vent 'lip' out of my old box and sealed it to the new box with silicone adhesive cauls and some screws. Very happy with this box.

Steve
'07 39' Pilgrim Open Road 5th Wheel
'18 F350 Platinum 6.7 Powerstroke

rainmanrv
Explorer
Explorer
just purchased the flooded and I will stay with that maybe next time thanks

taken
Explorer
Explorer
Why not just get better batteries that don't need vents? I went with Lifeline 6V AGM batteries. No vents needed as they are sealed. The best 6V batteries out there too. More money but something to consider...
Regards, Rodney
TV - 2017 F350 SRW CC SB 4X4 6.7
TH - 2015 FR XLR 395AMP

clotus
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2015 Sundance and ran into the same problem when I upgraded from the 12v to two 6v batteries. What I did was steal another members idea and simply cut the factory battery box around the vent, then cut the new box's lid and glued the vented portion into the new battery lid. Here is a overview photo, I do not have a close up.

Current: 2017 Winnebago 31K
(Sold): 5th wheel: 2015 Heartland Sundance XLT 245

SkiSmuggs
Explorer
Explorer
Allbatterysalesandservice.com carries NOCO and another line of GC2 battery boxes. Venting them just requires a hole in the top and bottom plus a vacuum cleaner or other type hose. They even have a four GC2 box.
2015 F350 XLT PSD 6.7 Crew Cab, Andersen Ultimate hitch
2012 Cougar High Country 299RKS 5th wheel, Mor/Ryde pinbox, 300w of solar

rainmanrv
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks RoyB for the info on my battery box went on amazon and found a box called Quick Cable 6volt GC2 box its perfect for my application.And only @10.00 each plus shipping and i dont have to run around town looking for it. Disappointed in camping world not much help at all.thanks again rv.net friends

Darryl_Rita
Explorer
Explorer
Contact your local battery store.
***UPDATE 2006 3500 SRW MegaCab pulling a 2007 fleetwood 5'er

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Check out the NOCO brand of battery boxes on-line- They use to have a couple of models designed especially for the GC2 GP24 DUAL 6VDC Golf Cart Batteries. You can modify almost any of the lids for these boxes for venting to the outside using hoses and a vent head. Lowes carries such items... If you find a suitable NOCO brand dual battery box you like you can probably purchase this thru AMAZON...

Batteries do vent fumes when being charged that needs to vented to the outside of the trailers..

My fifth wheel uses a depressed area just inside the front door of the basement area. It has two battery vents on both side. It also has a rail where the batteries are that will drain to the ground if the battery boxes fill up with water or battery fluids... My 5th wheel bedroom is just above this area so it was very important to me to have vented battery compartment as well as the Propane compartments mounted on both sides of the trailer in an enclosed area in the same area.

Never really liked the idea the batteries and propane were almost directly under the sleeping beds.

My other pull trailer has the propane tanks and the batteries on the outside tongue area.

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS