cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Water heater question

slarsen
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2010 5th wheel, made by Keystone.

I turned off the water heater switch earlier this year because I drained the tank and didn't want to burn out the electric heater. I assumed the same switch would turn off any possibility of the gas heater, too, but on my way back from the Gulf, I walked by the trailer at some point and discovered the gas heat was running. On an empty tank.

Maybe that has happened before and I didn't notice it. I pulled a wire loose and that stopped it instantly. I recently de-winterized it and did a shakedown local camping trip; hooked up the wire and turned the switch back on. The heater worked fine on electricity.

SO . . . the question: should the gas heater work when the switch is turned off? Any thought about what is wrong, if anything?

(I should note that the sheet metal around the water heater was replaced last fall, following a tire blow-up, so the heater may have been removed during replacement.)
11 REPLIES 11

jeb5
Explorer
Explorer
You can/should pull the 12 volt fuse for the water heater when you winterize. Also the breaker for the water heater should be turned off in addition to the switches. This gives you extra protection that you will not run the water heater without it being full of water.

You can run the gas and electric at the same time if you need rapid reheat or if you are just setting up.
Ford F-350, 6.7 Diesel, 4x4, Long Bed
Newmar Kountry Star 5th Wheel

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
On my Montana, made by Keystone I have a gas sw. next to the water pump sw. All are on the monitor panel. The only electric sw. is in the outside compartment for the water heater as you describe..
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

C-Bears
Explorer
Explorer
slarsen wrote:
Old Buiscuit, I think you're right. I bet that switch isn't to warm the waste tanks, but rather, for the hot water tank. I'll have to confirm it the next time we head out, but this makes sense.

Thanks!

X2, most of Keystone models did not come with heating pads on their holding tanks. Keystone is big on dropping a 2" duct into the underbelly and calling it a "heated underbelly".
2014 Montana 3725RL (Goodyear G614 Tires, Flow Thru TPMS)

SPENDING THE WINTERS AT OUR HOME IN SW FLORIDA. THE REST OF THE YEAR SEEING THE U.S. FROM OUR LIVING ROOM WINDOW!

slarsen
Explorer
Explorer
Old Buiscuit, I think you're right. I bet that switch isn't to warm the waste tanks, but rather, for the hot water tank. I'll have to confirm it the next time we head out, but this makes sense.

Thanks!

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well.......'

I would bet that the 'heated tanks is via a furnace duct that runs into enclosed underbelly and around the tanks VS heat pads (heat pads are optional on various brands/models of RVs but have their own systems

That switch on panel with water pump........probably for the water heater propane.

You have a ON/OFF propane switch..........and the one in outside compartment is for the electric (MAJOR FACTORY SCREW UP IF NO PROPANE SWITCH>>>>MAJOR)
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

slarsen
Explorer
Explorer
Well, thanks. Every bit of info is helpful. The switch is on the lower left, and it is the only switch. I'll look, but I don't think there is a gas switch anywhere inside. Other than lights, slide outs, canopy, the only two switches are for the water pump and heating the tanks during cold weather.

I bought it new and got it very late in the year 2009.

For now, I can continue to unplug a lead to the gas valve, I guess.

C-Bears
Explorer
Explorer
I have two rocker switches inside the RV for the water heater. One is for "electric" water heat, and one is for "gas" water heat. Under the outside cover on my Suburban water heater there is another rocker switch labeled "on" "off". It is partially covered by a piece of silver protective tape so you could miss that one.
2014 Montana 3725RL (Goodyear G614 Tires, Flow Thru TPMS)

SPENDING THE WINTERS AT OUR HOME IN SW FLORIDA. THE REST OF THE YEAR SEEING THE U.S. FROM OUR LIVING ROOM WINDOW!

Wishbone51
Explorer
Explorer
My electric switch is behind the panel. My gas switch is inside the kitchen.
2017 Jayco Jay Feather 25BH
2004 Nissan Titan

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
slarsen wrote:
I only see one switch. It's a 'rocker' switch.

And the wire I pulled off was attached to what appears to be some kind of a solenoid, which I imagine is there to start/stop gas flow. There are two wires, which have two connectors each, attached to what looks like two identical solenoids or valves, side by side. There are no other visible wires or switches.

IS this rocker switch in the outside compartment lower left corner?

IF so........you have a Suburban Water heater
And that rocker switch is ONLY for the electric heating element

The wire you pulled off is probably dc power to gas valve solenoid (2 solenoids on gas valve----power wires and then ground wires)

The propane ON/OFF Switch will be INSIDE RV ...small panel with rocker switch and light

2 separate ON/OFF switches for 2 separate heating sources with 2 separate sets of t-stats..........2 independent means of heating water in same water heater.

Operating it on propane with empty tank........usually no harm/no foul provided tank is allowed to cool before filling with water.
(Electric and no water....element burns out if few minutes because they have to be submerged in water)

How long have you owned this RV?
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

slarsen
Explorer
Explorer
I only see one switch. It's a 'rocker' switch.

And the wire I pulled off was attached to what appears to be some kind of a solenoid, which I imagine is there to start/stop gas flow. There are two wires, which have two connectors each, attached to what looks like two identical solenoids or valves, side by side. There are no other visible wires or switches.

robsouth
Explorer
Explorer
Most trailers that I have seen also have a "switch" for the gas operation of the water heater. If the switch is "off", the water heater will not light and burn regardless of whether there is water in it or not. Only when the switch is "on" with the gas ignite and burn to heat water. Does yours not have a switch for gas as well as electric?
"Sometimes I just sit and think. Sometimes I just sit." "Great minds like a think."