cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

bed rail height

boingram
Explorer
Explorer
Just took delivery of a new gmc 3500 denali cc duramax 4x4. Bed rail height just over 57 inches. Never occurred to me i might have a clearance problem...I'm new to fivers.
Looking at new 36 foot fw's speced at 12500 dry...16000 gvw...2300 to 2500 pin wt. Probably grand design...am i gonna have a clearance issue...thx..bo
25 REPLIES 25

tegu69
Explorer
Explorer
I have actually been considering customizing my 2012 Sierra and taking about 3" off the top of my bed rails, now that its out of warranty.

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
boingram wrote:
Tucson Jim...seriously lookin at the 337 and the solitude...15k difference!

Howz the 337 working for u....thx...bo

bo - Sending you a PM.

Jim
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Mopar_Mudder wrote:
So I guess I better go find another job to afford a new fiver. Just going to have to live with it for now, headed to Florida in a couple weeks. So no time to start major mode to it.

Get used to it! It's a never ending cycle bigger, bigger, and yet again BIGGER!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Mopar_Mudder
Explorer
Explorer
So I guess I better go find another job to afford a new fiver. Just going to have to live with it for now, headed to Florida in a couple weeks. So no time to start major mode to it.
2008 Dodge Dually Mega Cab - Resitol Edition
1999 Jayco Designer 3710

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Mopar_Mudder wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Mopar_Mudder wrote:
Not all trucks sag. New 3500 Ram with air assist doesn't sag at all, stays full height all the time. Their is an alt trailer height mode but that only drops it 1"

Look at a 15 RAM Dually without rear air they ride higher than your truck. So you start out lower to begin with having the air ride option.

Could be but my 08 sat lower empty, plus it squatted down level when loaded. At some point they have to stop jacking these truck up so much.

It's a conspiracy! New truck means new RV!

Or if the wife wants a new RV then say honey that's fine but we need to get a new Truck to pull it!

It's worked twice for me! 15 RAM will soon be towing 16 MobileSuites we have on order.

Same for us selling the 2500 to get the new 2001 3500 dually. So as you said the wife figured if this truck would be better as I bragged about "of course I did" we could get the alpenlite she always wanted. End of this story.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

routemaster
Explorer
Explorer
I had to lift my Everest with Correct Tract because the overhang was close to hitting the bed rail on my new 2015 3500 Chevy LTZ.
2017 Landmark Arlington 365
2015 Silverado LTZ 3500 c/c LWB.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Mopar_Mudder wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Mopar_Mudder wrote:
Not all trucks sag. New 3500 Ram with air assist doesn't sag at all, stays full height all the time. Their is an alt trailer height mode but that only drops it 1"

Look at a 15 RAM Dually without rear air they ride higher than your truck. So you start out lower to begin with having the air ride option.

Could be but my 08 sat lower empty, plus it squatted down level when loaded. At some point they have to stop jacking these truck up so much.

It's a conspiracy! New truck means new RV!

Or if the wife wants a new RV then say honey that's fine but we need to get a new Truck to pull it!

It's worked twice for me! 15 RAM will soon be towing 16 MobileSuites we have on order.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

Mopar_Mudder
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Mopar_Mudder wrote:

1999 Jayco Designer 3710

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Mopar_Mudder wrote:

Mopar_Mudder
Explorer
Explorer
1999 Jayco Designer 3710

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
TucsonJim wrote:
RCMAN46 wrote:
When looking at the trailer measure the frame front and rear(determines how level the trailer is). Most dealers have them somewhat level.

Now measure from the ground to the overhang. If that distance is at least 4 inches more than the height of your truck bed rail you may have a chance.

This allows a 2 inch sag of the truck when hitched which should result in about 6 inches of clearance which is about the minimum you should have.

Back to the drawing board? If you only have four inches of clearance when you hitch up (landing gear still engaged), you still only have four inches of clearance when you raise the landing gear. The FW will go down at the same rate as the back of the truck.

I do not understand why this is difficult to understand. Raise the trailer two inches now there is a 6 inch clearance. Then when trailer landing gear is raised the truck sags 2 inches. Now everything is level with 6 inches of clearance.

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
RCMAN46 wrote:
When looking at the trailer measure the frame front and rear(determines how level the trailer is). Most dealers have them somewhat level.

Now measure from the ground to the overhang. If that distance is at least 4 inches more than the height of your truck bed rail you may have a chance.

This allows a 2 inch sag of the truck when hitched which should result in about 6 inches of clearance which is about the minimum you should have.

Back to the drawing board? If you only have four inches of clearance when you hitch up (landing gear still engaged), you still only have four inches of clearance when you raise the landing gear. The FW will go down at the same rate as the back of the truck.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
RCMAN46 wrote:

:h
2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, Onan 5500, Disc Brakes, 17.5" tires
B&W Ram Companion

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer