cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

best method of washing rubber roof?

nofish
Explorer
Explorer
I know this has been covered many times in the past but I've been away for awhile. Seems I recall scrubbing with a large brush & some soapy stuff & then spraying a protectant on. This roof is only two years old so I want to get it done correctly. (not by me-too old)
Larry G
13 REPLIES 13

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Same stuff that is used for sides & doing the truck, Meguires vehicls wash & soft brush followed by 303 protectant twice a year.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Goostoff
Explorer
Explorer
I just use my power washer and my head. Next weekend will be my last camping trip for the year then it is roof washing time and hopfully get it buffed before it gets too cold. This is unless the wife talks me into trading before it gets cold.
1993 Chevy C3500
2005 Cedar Creek 34RLTS

nofish
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all, these recommendations are well taken, especially about being careful.
Larry G

PatnRich
Explorer
Explorer
Dicor rep at a ralley I attended stated to wash with original Dawn (blue) dish washing detergent.
2010 Montana 3400RL, 2011 Ford F350,CC,SB,16K Pullrite SuperGlide

TNRIVERSIDE
Explorer
Explorer
I use Dicor roof cleaner. Much easier that spic n span. Does a great job and no damage to the roof. No stain on the TT sides. Workers for me.
2014 Coleman CTS192RD. 2009 F150 4X4, 5.4, 3.31
Jeff

Triker33
Explorer
Explorer
On my 18 year old roof. I do the same as topjimmy almost.
I use a electric 1700 P.S.I. power washer twice a year with no soap or protectant used.

Twice a year gets that green FL. mold off good. I will do it sometime this month and again in April before my summer trip.

I like to have a DR Pepper as my choice. ๐Ÿ™‚

OH!! All the sides, front & back get washed after the roof twice a year also if needed or not.
Larry Full Time Since 99
1999 34Q Discovery DP ISB 275HP 6 Speed Allison
VMSpc | Pressure Pro
14 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost Toad

Click here to see where I am

topjimmy
Explorer
Explorer
While all you folks are washing and scrubbing and treating with this and that I will be done in 20 min with my ELECTRIC 1700 P.S.I. power washer and back down sipping a beer, have been doing this for 3 5th wheels for 10 years and Once a year works GREAT and NO it does not strip the caulking off just the dirt and mildew DO NOT use a Gas powered 2500 P.S.I. + power washer or you will
2015 Montana 3735MK Legacy,2007 3500HD GMC Dually LBZ Duramax/Allison ,Pacbrake,Firestone Airbags Bullydog Tuner

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
All or any of the above suggestions are correct. I'll add, use a soft brush and be VERY careful while up there. It gets really slippery and it's a long way to the ground.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I apply the protectant by simply pouring some on the roof and then using a squeegee to spread it. It doesn't take much and the squeegee leaves just enough behind to fill pours and dimples without caking up and drying streaked. Yea, it does mean getting up there and crawling around. But the end result is worth it.

MinnCamper
Explorer
Explorer
I've used Dawn dish soap for years. Like all have said use lots of water too.

nremtp143
Explorer
Explorer
After cleaning with a brush, and the recommended cleaners( I know, some use a Clorox mixture), once it's dried, you can either spray the protectant on with a sprayer(bug sprayer type) or roll it on with a decent nap roller. I've done both and both cover much better than mopping the protectant on as it leaves streaks.
2016 Montana 3790RD, Legacy Edition, G614s, TST TPMS
2008 Thor Vortex 26FS
2013 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4, Edge CTS, B&W Companion, Viair 10007 Air System, Firestone Air Bags
2001 Excursion Limited 7.3L 4x4, V/B Springs
2001 Silverado 3500 DRW CCLB 8.1L/Allison 4x4

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Spic N span powder and stiff long handled brush. Lots of water to rinse. Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Coach-man
Explorer
Explorer
TSP, plenty of water and some elbow grease! TSP will not hurt your rubber roof, but will be very good at cleaning it! Get some plastic, to protect the sides of your rig, as you wash the dirt may slide off the roof and stain the sides! When you are satisfied rinse, rinse and then rinse some more. You should get all the soapy stuff off the roof, use a hose if you can! Good Luck!