cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best stabilizer help needed

6Gun
Explorer
Explorer
I have a new 31 ft. Rock-Wood and need to get the shaking under control when parked. My wife has a really bad temper when woke up in the early morning:S. There are so many products on the markets I'm not sure what works the best. I have a Side Winder king pin so I don't think a front tri-pod stabilizer will work. Maybe Wheel Locks?

I do have electric landing gear on the back it helps but its not great.

Thanks
24 REPLIES 24

ford_coupe
Explorer
Explorer
definately jt strong arms 199 from tweetys,free shipping i believe, had mine for 5 years love them.

6Gun
Explorer
Explorer
No Can Do B.O. The 5th wheel is in her name... She bought it!!! and she sleeps with a gun!! It's not the bouncing thats the problem. It's the shifting front to back thats the problem. I'm a big person so that going to happen but I can feel the shifting when she moves and even the 60 lb. Lab walking makes the trailer shift with the landing gear well planted in the back.
The problem is she stays up late and sleeps late. I get up to go hunting or fishing at the crack of dawn. With me and the dog moving first thing in the morning wakes her every time.
Thanks everyone for the input. I hate to buy something only to find i dosen't work. I'll check out the items you mentioned. I know I'll never get all the movement out but 50% would make her so happy.
Thanks again....... 6Gun

Grady23
Explorer
Explorer
I did the 6-arm JT Stabilizer set-up for $300 self installed. I'm very happy with the results.
Retired
2010 Cougar 318SAB
2012 Chevy 2500HD Ext Cab Duramax w/Allison
Grady Gulfstream w/twin 150'S
We're Just getting started

drillking
Explorer
Explorer
JohnG3 wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTLU0725CSU

These are my favorite. Winfield RV Products.

Really like your tag line!
Sheridan & Barb
2014 Lifestyle LS37CKSL
2013 F350 Lariat 6.7 DRW
"On our way to the Gloryland with scenic stops along the way"!

fly4fun
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with B.O. Plenty. Get rid of the grouch and have a happy carefree life. I did 6 yrs ago and life is sweet like peaches and cream!

newk
Explorer
Explorer
joebedford wrote:
Alley Fox wrote:
Also, when you drop the rear stabilizers, do you get them really cranked down? I bring my front LG slightly nose high and then crank the rears hard to make it level.
I do the exact opposite: front LG slight nose DOWN, lower the rear stabilizers then raise the front LG to make it level. Front LG much stronger on my rig.

Ditto!

copeland343
Explorer
Explorer
I put another set of scissor stabilizer jacks in front of the axles. Works great no bounce from tires and axles. Also use a good set of chocks, set them tight, put a set in front of tries pull forward into chock and then set rear no movement.

Buckeye_Chuck
Explorer
Explorer
The 6X6 blocks are a good idea. The shorter the front landing gear the better for movement or should I say lack of movement. I also use a Fast Jack kingpin tripod stabilizer. Another good idea is to put a little more pressure on the rear stabilizers after the unit has been sitting for a few hours. The pads, mine are on 1X6 boards, will tend to compact the soil and the tires will loose some pressure as they cool thus requiring some adjustment. That is enough to do the trick for me. Unless you jack the unit up on concrete blocks to get the wheels off the ground odds are you will never be house solid. Get it the best you can and then get used to it. Anyway you need it to rock a little bit so your friends no when NOT "to come a knockin".

-BC-
2012 F250 Lariat 6.5ft. bed, 6.2L, 3:73 Gears
2013 Sabre 33CKTS-6

fivecodys
Explorer
Explorer
JohnG3 wrote:

X2

If the trailer is an ultralight, like mine, you will never get all the movement out.
Using the Winfield and BAL Chocks sure did help.
I would buy them again.

Bill
2007 Tundra DC 5.7L V8
SuperGlide 14K
Prodigy Brake Controller
2009 Flagstaff 8528RKSS Ultralight Series
Air Lift 5000

We have enough youth.......... how about a fountain of "smart"? :S

JohnG3
Explorer
Explorer

John and Elaine. Furry ones, Bubba, Buddy, Barney and Miss Chevious
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40 SP
Know guns, know safety, know peace. No guns, no safety, no peace.

wandering1
Explorer
Explorer
When someone is walking around inside the 5er it will bounce/wiggle. Rubber tires will bounce, suspension systems are made to bounce. To eliminate the bouncing/wiggling you need to keep the weight from pushing down on the tires and suspension by making sure your stabilizers are tight between the 5er and the ground. Don’t just let them out far enough to touch the ground, turn the crank more to make sure they are tight so they will not allow the 5er to push down on the tires. Use a bipod/tripod under the king pin. Make sure it is tight between the ground and the king pin, don’t just adjust it till it touches, tighten it so the front overhang will not move. Make sure to check the stabilizers and bipod/tripod every couple of days because they will loosen up over time. Doesn’t make sense spending a lot of money on landing jack stabilizers when the landing jacks are stable and don’t bounce up and down. If you have properly adjusted the stabilizers and bipod/tripod then you shouldn’t have any bouncing/wiggling. This has worked for me over the past 15 years.

Chocks are to keep the 5er from rolling forward or backwards. They do not eliminate the weight of the 5er from pushing down and causing the bouncing/wiggling. If you park on a site that has a incline/decline then you probably want to use chocks to keep your 5er from rolling when you unhitch.

There are a lot of other options out there to “eliminate” the bouncing/wiggling if you have the extra money and want to spend it.
HR

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
Get rid of the wife with the bad temper, life's too short...Then you won't need any stabilizers..JMHO

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Any of the diagonal bracing products will do the trick. some are simpler to operate than others. I made my own JT knock offs for both our last TT and our current 5'er. On solid ground it's absolutely rock solid. On dirt/gravel it's about 90-95% solid. On both I installed the four brace system on the front and one diagonal in the rear. Wheel chocks of any kind won't take the sideways wiggle out. They help with front to back. To get the bounce out you need to make sure the rear stabs are under pressure. I do like some have suggested and that's to level up slightly nose down (1/2") and set the rears, then lift the front up to level. That puts added pressure on the rears.

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Alley Fox wrote:
Also, when you drop the rear stabilizers, do you get them really cranked down? I bring my front LG slightly nose high and then crank the rears hard to make it level.
I do the exact opposite: front LG slight nose DOWN, lower the rear stabilizers then raise the front LG to make it level. Front LG much stronger on my rig.