cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

best time to buy

ChemistJason
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, new member here. Thinking about getting into the camping game with a 5th wheel purchase. Most likely something used, but less than 5 years old. The question I have is if there is "best" time to buy. I'm in Michigan, so the camping season is essentially over now. I don't know if now would be the best time to try to pick up a good deal, or if I'd be better off waiting until there is snow on the ground. I would imagine that selection might get pretty thin before too long since once folks put it in storage for the winter, they'd might be more likely just to hold onto it until spring.

There may also be advantages to waiting until next spring.

I have free storage, so there is no cost to that component, but having my money tied up in the camper over the winter is something to consider.

Looking forward to getting some great help here.
Thanks.
9 REPLIES 9

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
ChemistJason wrote:

If we like camping, we'd likely trade in/up after a year or 2 and we have a better idea of exactly what we want in a camper.

Hmmmmmmmmm - "If we like camping...."

(IMO) maybe you should wait until you're ready to go camping (whenever) - then rent a Class C.
(pretty hard to find any other kind of rental).

Then, if you don't like camping - you will still have your bucks, and have saved a lot of time looking, negotiating, getting insurance, etc. - and it won't be necessary to re-sell what you bought..;)

~

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dick_B wrote:
The best time to buy is when you find something that fits your camping lifestyle and is within your budget. Getting a good deal on a rig that you don't like later on is no deal.

Ain't that the truth. Lots of people buy because "It was a steal". A year or so later guess what is on the market. Guess who sells at a huge loss & gives somebody else "a steal".

Best time to buy is when you have the money, have done the very thorough research & picked out the model, buy this time of year when people want to be rid of their summer toys.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
The best time to buy is when you find something that fits your camping lifestyle and is within your budget. Getting a good deal on a rig that you don't like later on is no deal.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

allimax
Explorer
Explorer
I would say that if you want a boat, motorcycle or RV, the fall is the best time to buy. Talking used, of course. People want to unload them now and not have to think about winterizing or storage. And if you're informed, an educated consumer, you can find what you want for substantially less $ than you will next spring when the price will certainly be higher. Good luck with your search and do your homework. You will be rewarded.
2010 Montana 3455SA
Mor/Ride kingpin, wet bolts, Progressive Ind. HW-50C EMS,TST 507RV TPMS, GY G614's
'07.5 Silverado D/A LMM 3500HD
Extended Cab DRW 4x4 LTZ
Bilstein, Reese R20, Banks Economind tuner, Speedbrake, RamAir, Monster exhaust

ChemistJason
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the responses.

I have the money, the issue is the value obtained with it. If I can save myself a couple thousand bucks by buying something now and storing it over the winter, that's what I'd do. If I can get a similar unit for similar money in the spring, it seems more reasonable to wait. Since I don't really know exactly what I'm going to like (first time purchaser), I'm more interested in getting the best value for my money. If we like camping, we'd likely trade in/up after a year or 2 and we have a better idea of exactly what we want in a camper.

shadows4
Explorer III
Explorer III
ChemistJason wrote:

I have free storage, so there is no cost to that component, but having my money tied up in the camper over the winter is something to consider.

If your worried about having your "money tied up in the camper" it might not be good for you to buy period. It is not an investment. It is a depreciating asset. If you are not in the position to lose some money don't buy an RV of any type. The old saying "You have to pay to play!" is so true with RV ownership.
So if your ready to part with some of your money, anytime you can find an RV with a floorplan you like its a good time to buy!
Good luck, John
2016 4X4 F350,CC,SB,Lariat,6.7L diesel,
2015 Coachmen Chapparal 324 TSRK
B&W Patriot 16K hitch.

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
Great deals can come up any time. Having cash and being quick is the best. According to my MI friends, the economy is terrible there so you should find a deal. They come to Az for the winter and the last RV deal they found was at Yuma last spring. Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
I think the best time to buy is when you have the money.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
any time is the best time, you,ve got lots of them to look at don,t let distance stop you, the right rv is out there just waiting to be found , you should be able to pick up a great %th wheel just be patient.