cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best way to clean/shine up a 5er

4bearhug
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking for the best way to clean and shine the outside of a 5er. Also want to know how best to remove those black streaks. Someone recommended a product called Newglass2. Anyone familiar w/ this product and how does it compare w/ regular wax.

Thanks for all your ideas.
23 REPLIES 23

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
ksg5000 wrote:
I use Zep wet look floor finish - it's acrylic polish akin to Poly Glow - popular in boating industry. Makes an old rig shine like new - much easier than any wax I have used. Lots of threads on the subject.

Search - "Red Max Pro" (Red Max Pro #3), and/or "Zep".

RMP "evolved" into Zep (same mfgr) when RMP no longer available.

Don't limit the search to 5th wheels.

If you're not a believer, do the same in the archives.

*LOTS* (and lots) of threads - many with pre-application cleaning & "prep" instructions, before and after pics, etc.

*MORE* threads with "year after" info...:C

~

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
ford truck guy wrote:
Veebyes wrote:
There are lots of good products out there, Rejects being one of them. The thing to remember is that all of them take about the same amount of labour to use. The difference is the quality of the product. A really good, expensive, product will give a full year except on the front cap. A not so good product may have to be used twice a year using twice the product & twice the labour.

What is your time & effort worth?

The cleaner waxes are not going to be anywhere near as durable as the expensive pure waxes or sealants like Mequires Flagship.

If the surface is chalked it will need a cleaner wax first to restore the surface then the sealant.

I had 25 years of saltwater kept boat maintenance before even thinking of RVs.

Did you use the Mequires on the boat ? I swear by Rejex but have had some minor issues finding it and was think of switching././

Been using Mequires Flagship on the boat & trailer for many years. The Mequires cleaner wax is not bad either but I like the 3M cleaner wax better for minor chalking & stains.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Veebyes wrote:
There are lots of good products out there, Rejects being one of them. The thing to remember is that all of them take about the same amount of labour to use. The difference is the quality of the product. A really good, expensive, product will give a full year except on the front cap. A not so good product may have to be used twice a year using twice the product & twice the labour.

The cleaner waxes are not going to be anywhere near as durable as the expensive pure waxes or sealants like Mequires Flagship.

If the surface is chalked it will need a cleaner wax first to restore the surface then the sealant.

Did you use the Mequires on the boat ? I swear by Rejex but have had some minor issues finding it and was think of switching././
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Rob8484 wrote:
ksg5000 wrote:
I use Zep wet look floor finish - it's acrylic polish akin to Poly Glow - popular in boating industry. Makes an old rig shine like new - much easier than any wax I have used. Lots of threads on the subject.

Do you use it over the decals? I don't wax over the decals as most everyone here has informed not to do, just wondered about Zep? It's a pain in the butt to wax mine with all the decals on it!

Yes - I use it over the decals.
Kevin

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

cpaulsen
Explorer
Explorer
Use NuFinish a couple of times a tear.
cpaulsen

Paul_Clancy
Explorer
Explorer
I use a good quality wax twice a year and protect all between waxes after wash. Roof gets a soaping and rinse twice a year. 303 aerospace on the toppers and awning.

alboy
Explorer
Explorer
I did our 07 35 foot Newmar Cypress with Mcguires Fiberglass and boat wax, expensive stuff, but hands down the best i have ever put on.I had detailers do it the past 3 years at 300.00 bucks a shot,the stuff they use does not compare to it.I used a 4 ft floor mop with a foam end as the applicator,worked fantastic,took the wax off with a cheese cloth on the end of the foam mop and then lightly buffed with a power buffer. 1800 mile trip home thru lots of rain and took it off with my power sprayer, no soap, ,really impressed.

Seattle_Lion
Explorer
Explorer
remdog*1 wrote:
Read article here awhile back and owner used product called Rejex. I just ordered some. It's a type of polymer coating that has to cure for several hours with no rain. Initially used it for nose cone on fiver and liked it so much did the whole camper. Just google Rejex, they have lots of products and cleaners.

I used that on my sports car. I swear by it.
2014 Heartland Bighorn 3160 Elite
2014 Ford F350 diesel, 4x4, SRW, crew cab, short bed

Happily camping with my wonderful wife Bobsgirl and our timid golden retriever Daisy Sweetpuppy

Life's a journey. Make it fun!

our new blog

therink
Explorer
Explorer
I have been using Nufinish on everything including graphics for years with no peeling and minimal fading.
Steve Rinker
Rochester, NY
2013 Keystone Sydney 340FBH 5th Wheel, 12,280 lbs loaded (scale)
2015.5 GMC Sierra Denali 3500, SRW, Duramax, CC, Payload 3,700 (sticker- not scaled yet)

Take my posts for what they are, opinions based on my own experiences.

stro1965
Explorer
Explorer
Rob8484 wrote:
ksg5000 wrote:

Do you use it over the decals? I don't wax over the decals as most everyone here has informed not to do, just wondered about Zep? It's a pain in the butt to wax mine with all the decals on it!

Why no wax over the decals?
2018 Ram DRW 3500 6.7
2019 Keystone Alpine 3021

Rob8484
Explorer
Explorer
ksg5000 wrote:

Rob 33(me) Kristi 31(wife) Kenedi 5 (daughter) and our 2 dogs (Molly & Wayne) (RIP Molly)
2008 F250 Super Duty
2008 Forest River Cardinal 33LE
G14 Yamaha golf cart

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
We wash our fiver before every trip, about 8 times a year. I use McGuires car wash and Demco black streak remover. Keep your roof clean and make sure your gutters don't have any cracks that are not sealed and you will keep black streaks to a minimum.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

therink
Explorer
Explorer
I use NuFinish on everything but the roof. Hand applied once/yr. NuFinish on front cap 3 to 4 times/yr. Between polishing, I wash as needed with soft brush and Dawn. The trick is to keep black streaks from forming and I found this to be the best preventative step.
Also, I wash roof using Dawn and same soft brush. Keeping roof and gutters clean helps minimize black streaks on side walls.
Its a never ending job to keep a rig looking new. I'm pretty anal so I just don't let myself fall behind and my rig always looks good.
Steve Rinker
Rochester, NY
2013 Keystone Sydney 340FBH 5th Wheel, 12,280 lbs loaded (scale)
2015.5 GMC Sierra Denali 3500, SRW, Duramax, CC, Payload 3,700 (sticker- not scaled yet)

Take my posts for what they are, opinions based on my own experiences.