cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Better Made?

praisetoGod
Explorer
Explorer
Is there a better/best made toy hauler? I'm not looking to start a fight but I'm wondering if there is a toy hauler that is just constructed better. I'm also not talking about luxury, but more along the lines of frame, walls, roof... Also, is there a brand of toy hauler that you would stay away from.

I currently have a 27ft Wolf Pack from Forest River, and we're looking to upgrade to a bigger and possibly 5th wheel toy hauler. Thanks in advance for your info.

Scott
31 REPLIES 31

pipers_family
Explorer
Explorer
We have the 350 Grand Design 350 Momentum. Have been thousands of miles in last 6 months- loving it. Amazed at how well it had survived rough roads, snow, ice, Texas heat. Have no regrets. The 388 is same floor plan, just longer and another axle. Customer service and support have been wonderful from manufacturer.

praisetoGod
Explorer
Explorer
jlhogs wrote:
Out of all the research we have done. I would say that DRV has the best made frame. No we have not seen it in person, just doing research, but I do know they are expensive.

Never heard of DRV. Looks like a really nice toy hauler.

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
Our first TH, so not an expert, but our Sandsport from Pacific Coachworks seems strong enough and the systems all work.
Not a perfect layout, but usable. Hasn't been back to the dealer for anything.
I fixed two assembly mistakes.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
In my opinion the L frames on most toy haulers are only built to a minimum spec and not designed for long term road use. I also like the frame on the Full House but they probably aren't mass produced to throw them out the door as fast as they can. After looking at an L frame I've seen several things that I feel could greatly improve stiffness and spring hanger support. Not an engineer but I've worked in the steel industry for 36yrs and know what we were required to do to an I-beam when hanging something from the bottom flange and frame manufacturers don't have a clue. I personally would be willing to pay a little more for a hauler that had a decent frame under it...having that piece of mind while towing and one less thing to worry about.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
The 388M is a new M class toyhauler from Momentum...not sure of construction quality compared to the 385 but they are lighter and shorter.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

pg_rider
Explorer
Explorer
jlhogs wrote:
...the Grand Design Momentum 388 that we looked at was a big disappointment.

Mind if I ask what gave you that impression?
Paul G.
2016 Grand Design Momentum 350M
2010 Ford F350 PowerStroke SRW
20k PullRite SuperGlide

2BLAZERS
Explorer
Explorer
BadDogPSD wrote:
Y-Guy wrote:
Good to see them expanding the Desert Fox line up. Now they just need to hire a good website designer ๐Ÿ˜‰

Agreed!

I second 3rd that thought.
2016 Dodge Ram 3500 CC Dually Cummins,Aisin,Laramie,4*4,4.10,14K
2017 Stealth WA2916 Toyhauler
2011 Arctic Fox 1150 Drybath
2017 Polaris 1000 XP Sportsman
2009 Polaris RZR w/fun parts
2014 Polaris 850 HO Scrambler
1977 K5 Blazer 1ton'd
2005 Pace Enclosed Toybox

jlhogs
Explorer
Explorer
Out of all the research we have done. I would say that DRV has the best made frame. No we have not seen it in person, just doing research, but I do know they are expensive.
So we are now deciding between the Fuzion and Cyclone. But the fuzion that best fits us has the corner shower and we don't like those, so we are leaning towards the cyclone, larger showers with curtain no glass. We plan on being full time.
the Grand Design Momentum 388 that we looked at was a big disappointment.

Doughboy12
Explorer
Explorer
praisetoGod wrote:
Steve76eb wrote:
praisetoGod wrote:
Where would you rank these brands in terms of quality?

Middle of the road. I don't believe there is such a thing a a high quality, mass produced toy hauler or RV for that matter. Those two terms are mutually exclusive.

I understand your feelings, but certainly one or more brands have to shine next to their competitors. Right?

No, not really. Why would you think that?
one might be better at one thing while the other sells on something different.

praisetoGod
Explorer
Explorer
Steve76eb wrote:
praisetoGod wrote:

Middle of the road. I don't believe there is such a thing a a high quality, mass produced toy hauler or RV for that matter. Those two terms are mutually exclusive.

I understand your feelings, but certainly one or more brands have to shine next to their competitors. Right?

Steve76eb
Explorer
Explorer
BadDogPSD wrote:
Desert Fox is bringing back their 5th wheel toyhaulers. I believe they plan on two models, a 32-5 & 35-5.

For somevreason I can't post the link on my phone, but go to northwoodmfg.com, click on toyhauler/desert fox, then click on the brochure.

I wonder if they have any more built than those 2 I found on RV trader up there in Oregon. I heard they were prototypes. After seeing the pictures there are still a few options I would like to see them incorporate. They still seem to be 5 years behind the ball as far as design and features. I loved my Nash trailer and it was well built. If they could come up with a 5th wheel toy hauler that at least has some options from 2013, I would dump this Fuzion in a heat beat and be back into a Northwoods product.

Steve76eb
Explorer
Explorer
praisetoGod wrote:

praisetoGod
Explorer
Explorer
I have expanded my search and we're now looking at Voltage 3970 (by Dutchman) and a Raptor (by Keystone). Because the Raptor is lighter by 1,000 lbs and a 42 foot instead of the 44 ft Voltage, I'm leaning towards the Rapture. Where would you rank these brands in terms of quality?

Eskimo
Explorer
Explorer
We purchased a 2015 Prime Time Spartan 3210 5er in January. So far we've had no problems with it at all. Well built, all the systems have worked like they are supposed to. The wifes happy, life is good.