cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Black gung on water tank ?

Bigmoss
Explorer
Explorer
I was working on the used 5er I bought today that I winterized last week and noticed that my fresh water tank under the couch seems to have a ton of black slime or gung circles all over the inside of it.

What's the best thing to add to the tank when filing with water to help remove and get rid of this ? It's a 32 gl tank I believe

Thanks !
2016 Ford F-150 Screw Lariat Short Box
2015 Jayco Eagle HT 27.5 RLTS
Reese 30051 Hitch with Revolutionary Pin
8 REPLIES 8

Swamp_Man
Explorer
Explorer
There are several types of mold and algae which can grow in the water tank. Chlorine in the right concentration will kill algae easily. Black mold is another story. Like what Bumpy and others said, use a whole gallon. Go to a pool supply store and purchase as algaecide. Little bit will go a long ways in the tank. Make sure that you flush the tank at least three times and fill it all the way up. There are things that can get in the tank but chlorine will take care of them.
Steve & Trudy Jackson
2018 Cyclone 4005
2016 Ford F-450 6.7 PSD
AirSafe 25K hitch

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Goostoff wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
old guy wrote:
that black stuff is algae, a good strong dose of chlorine is needed. try house hold bleach first, if that doesn't work then try swimming pool shock, that will surely do it.

yep, why skimp on clorox? dump a gallon in with plenty of water and slosh it around. let sit overnight.
bumpy

X2...when we had trouble with our old Hornet I dumped a whole gallon in. Then I filled the tank half full and went for a drive to slosh it around. Then I got home and topped off the tank and left it sit over night. Drained and flushed several times and all was good. For the cost of a gallon of bleach why waste your time with a cup.

IMHO the same thing applies to those who want to spritz some on the water spigot at a campground. why dilute it? are they afraid that they will melt the spigot?
bumpy

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of strong bleach and a little bit of water. Take the camper out, drive around, let it slosh around real good, drain, fill - flush - drain a couple times to remove the bleach.

Goostoff
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
old guy wrote:
that black stuff is algae, a good strong dose of chlorine is needed. try house hold bleach first, if that doesn't work then try swimming pool shock, that will surely do it.

yep, why skimp on clorox? dump a gallon in with plenty of water and slosh it around. let sit overnight.
bumpy

X2...when we had trouble with our old Hornet I dumped a whole gallon in. Then I filled the tank half full and went for a drive to slosh it around. Then I got home and topped off the tank and left it sit over night. Drained and flushed several times and all was good. For the cost of a gallon of bleach why waste your time with a cup.
1993 Chevy C3500
2005 Cedar Creek 34RLTS

SteveB
Explorer
Explorer
If the top of the tank is accessable you could install a marine deck hatch in it. That way you could wipe it down. I put one in my old Dutchmen with the FW tank under the couch. The hatch is made to be leak proof. Check West Marine.
2015 RAM 3500 CTD Auto 4X4 CC Dually, Reese 20K
SOLD 8/2015 '01 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD HO 6sp, Reese 15K Pro w/ Kwik Slide, Prodigy

'04 Jayco Jayflight 28.5RKS

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
old guy wrote:

bumpy

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
Add some Clorox, maybe half a cup when you fill the tank. Let it sit over night and drain and flush the tank. Repeat as needed.

BK
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper