cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Boondocking~ Simply way to add water ideas?

jayhardy
Explorer
Explorer
I'm camping at fabulous Fort Worden in Port Townsend,WA. But the water. Is off for the winter. My Montana does not have open hole, just hose connectors. Does anyone have a way to add five or 10 gallons? I have a 5 gallon plastic jug but it's connected end is bigger than a hose female end
22 REPLIES 22

Stefonius
Explorer
Explorer
My fifth wheel will suck water directly into the tank when the lever is set to "Winterize" and all faucets are closed. I use that to refill my tank from a 55 gallon plastic drum when boondocking. You may have similar results. It's fairly time consuming at 3 GPM, but it sure beats having no water.
2003 F450 Crew Cab, 7.3 PSD "Truckasaurus"
2010 Coachmen North Ridge 322RLT fiver "Habitat for Insanity"
I love my tent, but the DW said, "RV or Divorce"...

rekoj71
Explorer
Explorer
My winterizing system would be like Flyfishig48 stated, as in it sucks up from the winterizing hose straight into the lines, bypassing the tank, but I still think this might be all the OP might need to get by for a short time assuming he has this setup. It doesn't fill the tank but would still supply the RV, just from a jug or bucket instead of the on board tank.

Some RV's might have an extra valve available to send the water to the tank this way but I only have one valve and it only determins where the water comes from, either the tank or the winterizing hose. I don't even have a way to fill the tank other than gravity inlet. I might mod that soon.

magic43
Explorer
Explorer
When I turn the valves in my wet bay correctly, the onboard pump will suck a 5 gallon jug of water into my holding tank. Just the way it was designed to do.
magic43

flyfishing48
Explorer
Explorer
If you put the winterizing hose into a jug of water it will be pumped into the water lines just like the antifreeeze would But I don't think it would go into the tank because of a check valve in the suction side of the pump or the because the valve that allows the pump to pull from the jug shuts off the line to the tank. Or am I not think this correctly?
But this set up will pump all of the water out of the jug or tank. So for 5 gals or so at a time it would work. Right?
Gloria & Tom::R
Chevy 2500 Crew Cab Duramax
Cougar 24 RDS
B&W Companion Hitch

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Guys, the OP does NOT have a gravity fill option unless he's willing to add plumbing to his existing tank; a =lot= more work than what he needs for just adding a few gallons.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

shepstone
Explorer
Explorer
Might be slow but for 5 or 10 gallons it could work. Funnel Hose?
2017 F350 Ruby Red Super Cab Dually 6.7 3.55 gears. B&W Companion 25K. BackRack. Gatorback mud guards. AUX65FCBRG aux tank. 2021 GD 380fl
2010 GMC Savanna 3500 extended 6.0

Minermark
Explorer
Explorer
jayhardy:
Must be your lucky day!
Saw this thread yesterday and could NOT think of anything anyone else was not already stating.

Surfing the Bay for some new table legs, found them and then surfed his site,
and came across this thingy!

eBay item number:
gravity fresh water fill thingy
https://www.flickr.com/gp/115497253@N02/0X91g9

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
I would have a second RV water pump. Make a custom adapter hose to pump from your container. Will also serve as a back-up pump if existing pump fails.

If you are already camped.... you may need to pull the trailer close to the water supply to fill. I have 300' of that flat hose to reach an extended distance to a spigot as needed. Has served well in Yosemite and Death Valley.

Good luck if you are stuck with just a funnel and a hose to pour water in.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
jayhardy wrote:
Thx again for all the tips. There's water at the Campground I just need to get it into my Montana that a only has a hose filler

A guy at our church, who's also a Home Depot manager, carries about 200' of hose in his TT and has =zero= problems, at least in his own mind, with running it across a campground to get water. CG hosts can have problems with it, though. ๐Ÿ™‚

Lyle
1936 John Deere Model A

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
jayhardy wrote:
I'm camping at fabulous Fort Worden in Port Townsend,WA. But the water. Is off for the winter. My Montana does not have open hole, just hose connectors. Does anyone have a way to add five or 10 gallons? I have a 5 gallon plastic jug but it's connected end is bigger than a hose female end

One of the many totally f'n =dumb= things mfrs have done the past few years. 'Bout the only way I can think of is to use either a drill-powered pump or a 12v pump off your RV or your truck from jugs or buckets.

Lyle
1936 John Deere Model A

jayhardy
Explorer
Explorer
Thx again for all the tips. There's water at the Campground I just need to get it into my Montana that a only has a hose filler

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Add a water holding tank either to the bed of truck or FW. Fill it with just what you need. Take your pick they come in all sizes.

https://www.horseloversoutlet.com/Water_Tanks_for_Truck_Trailer_s/60.htm

Here is just a few of MANY different portable water tanks available.

truck water caddy for 5'er and goosneck. 63 gals.

half moon fits up against a 'wall'. 48 gals.

slant load 39 gal fits in 'corner'.

bench caddy 25 gals.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Paluka44
Explorer
Explorer
tried the cheap drill pump and they are almost worthless.
Frank & Kathy

:C:C

2015 Columbus 320RS

reddwar
Explorer
Explorer
A funnel in the back of your truck may help, or get one of those little pumps you put in your cordless drill? If your going to boondock you may want to take a spit bath or use baby wipes to save water, & use paper plates, cups to save on water.