cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Brake pads for TV

prairiedog
Explorer
Explorer
Getting ready to replace the pads on the TV. What are the best composition to use?
Time to go...On the commode again :R
21 REPLIES 21

prairiedog
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the great information and a lot to digest.
Time to go...On the commode again :R

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
Shrek51 wrote:
When you put ceramic pads on you need to replace rotors with drilled and slotted rotor upgrade or they will over heat and warp the stock rotors.

TO add to that , if you have the cash, replace with new calipers when you upgrade.

http://www.powerstop.com/

That whole drilled and slotted rotor thing is a farce also... Those are just to look cool, and the high end cars use them becuase people are misimformed.

People think it means performance so the car makers add them for sales thats all..

Just look at what the racing industry uses and youll get your answer.
Here is a rotor on an F1 formula car..

Here is what happens to drilled rotors from the heat..

Drilled and slotted rotors were used years ago for old technology pads ( aspestos)to release the gas coming off the pads to prolong the life of those pads.. Thats it.

We have come a long way since then. Drilled rotors today often crack because the holes promote cool/hot spots on a rotor.

Slots on rotors and thier use are for brake dust. This is already built into the pad hence the slot in the pad...

Dont buy into the hype...

Just my opinion.. Google it if you dont believe and make your own assumptions..
Mike L ... N.J.

2006 Silverado ext cab long bed. 3:42 rear. LM7 5.3 motor. 300 hp 350 ft lbs torgue @ 4000 rpms
2018 coachmen Catalina sbx 261bh

justafordguy
Explorer
Explorer
I use Hawk Performance LTS pads on my F250 and the difference in stopping power was amazing.
2015 Heartland Gateway 3650BH
2017 F350 CCLB KR FX4
2005 F250 CC FX4
77 Bronco, 302,C4,PS,PB,A/C,33" KM2s,D44/Lock-Right,9"/Grizzly locker

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
I use brown box Ford pads, not Motorcraft. My truck stops, and the pads last a long time.

I do believe you can get 3rd party pads that stop faster, but only at the expense of life span. Not what I need on this truck, but I can understand those who do.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
OEM direct from my Chevrolet parts department. You get what you pay for.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
Ceramic pads are well known to fade when towing. They are fine if you don't tow or on a passenger car. I prefer semi-metallic pads for my tow vehicle. That's just been my experience in over 20 years of towing.

That said I've been happiest with the premium line of pads from NAPA. They have always outperformed OEM pads that I've had. Granted they do not last as long as OEM, but my goal is better performance, not how long they last. If I change them every 30k or 40k I'm not concerned.

Currently my truck has a set of Adaptive One pads which are a hybrid of semi-metallic and ceramic. After one year I can say they are simply excellent. My only nit is that they claim they are dust free. Not true. Low dust, but not dust free.
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
Original OEM should be fine. But, if you do "a lot" of mountain driving and tend to use your brakes "a lot", you "may" consider a pad that is more "fade" resistant. You may want to consider a semi-metallic or a ceramic! memtb
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

JustLabs
Explorer
Explorer
OEM here
2011 Chevrolet 2500HD LTZ 4x4 CCLB Duramax/Allison
2007 Keystone Cougar 289BHS Fifth Wheel.

Fulltimer50
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
lawrosa wrote:
Stock AC delco here,,

If ya all buy into those brake claims then I have some volcano insurance to sell you ...:E

Stick with OEM...

Has nothing to do with claims (what claims?). Has everything to do with actually trying something else and gaining some experience.
Like everything else on vehicles, the brake pads are built for a price and then performance. Going to a specialty company that has no such limitations nets a better product but at a higher price - which is well worth it.
Another thing, when you go to the dealer to get "OEM", you are not getting what came on the truck. You are getting a cheaper substitute that makes them even more money. This goes for all of the big three.
Not only do premium pads take less pressure to stop the vehicle, they will stop a loaded rig faster than the stock parts.
In a panic situation, the feet you save can make all the difference.

Perhaps your experience is different from mine, but when I buy OEM pads for my truck I get the original quality pads, not Motorcraft.
George

2011 F350 PSD CC LB 4X4 DRW Lariate
2015 Mobile Suites 41RSSB4 5th Wheel

Mortimer_Brewst
Explorer
Explorer
Look up brake pads for your vehicle at RockAuto.com. They will have a section for towing/heavy duty applications. This should give you an idea of the best options for pads for your circumstances.
If ethics are poor at the top, that behavior is copied down through the organization - Robert Noyce

2018 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2019 Coachmen Chaparral 298RLS

Shrek51
Explorer
Explorer
When you put ceramic pads on you need to replace rotors with drilled and slotted rotor upgrade or they will over heat and warp the stock rotors.

TO add to that , if you have the cash, replace with new calipers when you upgrade.

http://www.powerstop.com/

George_H
Explorer
Explorer
I fell for the hype and tried ceramic pads, NOT THE ANSWER. They work fine when cold, although back up stop can be noisy when wet. Get those pads hot, like down the mountain pass, and they will shudder to the point where it is scary.
George, Juanita and Mandie (boss Shar-Pei)
01 F350, PSD, DRW
05 Carri-Lite 32RS3

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
lawrosa wrote:
Stock AC delco here,,

If ya all buy into those brake claims then I have some volcano insurance to sell you ...:E

Stick with OEM...

Has nothing to do with claims (what claims?). Has everything to do with actually trying something else and gaining some experience.
Like everything else on vehicles, the brake pads are built for a price and then performance. Going to a specialty company that has no such limitations nets a better product but at a higher price - which is well worth it.
Another thing, when you go to the dealer to get "OEM", you are not getting what came on the truck. You are getting a cheaper substitute that makes them even more money. This goes for all of the big three.
Not only do premium pads take less pressure to stop the vehicle, they will stop a loaded rig faster than the stock parts.
In a panic situation, the feet you save can make all the difference.

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
Stock AC delco here,,

Stick with OEM...
Mike L ... N.J.

2006 Silverado ext cab long bed. 3:42 rear. LM7 5.3 motor. 300 hp 350 ft lbs torgue @ 4000 rpms
2018 coachmen Catalina sbx 261bh