cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bug Stains on Front Cap

wildbyon
Explorer
Explorer
Once I clean the bugs off there are stains in the fiberglass. What do you do to get the bug stains off your front cap?
'01 Ford F350-7.3l PS Diesel, Lariet, Crew Cab, 4x4, Dully,
BTS transmission, Air bag suspension, exhaust brake, post gauges,
performance chip, 4" exhaust, remote start
'11 5th Wheel 38'Forest River Cardinal
'15 RZR 900 50" Trail, S x S
15 REPLIES 15

stetwood
Explorer
Explorer
I use fast orange hand cleaner or anything else that mechanics use. It takes bugs, dirt AND WAX off. It works well on those black streaks and brightening up the trim and cleaning up moldy calking.

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
WrightOn wrote:
I keep it washed, then before leaving on a trip, I put a thin coat of baby oil on the cap. When I arrive, the bugs come right off. Pretty slick.

I like that idea. Why didn't I think of that? :B
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

WrightOn
Explorer
Explorer
I keep it washed, then before leaving on a trip, I put a thin coat of baby oil on the cap. When I arrive, the bugs come right off. Pretty slick.
Out numbered 4:1
2011 F350 PSD 6.7L Dually
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS
Empty Nest'n with our Rott!

Rascally_Road_W
Explorer
Explorer
Just remember that whatever you use, don't forget to re-wax as these chemicals will take off any protection that was on there. Rejex is a good sealant to use.

botts12
Explorer
Explorer
We got the stains off with Greased Lightning. You can get it a Lowes or Home Depot.

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I use toilet bowl cleaner on the hull of my fiberglas boat when it's been in the water for awhile and gets a nasty stain on it. I see no reason why it wouldn't work on a 5er. I would be careful on the decals. And be sure to re-wax after.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

ChadHinton
Explorer
Explorer
I just used Bio-Kleen black streak remover on mine. Washed with Mequire's auto wash and followed up with the Bio-Kleen. Used a second wash brush and very little elbow grease.
Chad & Susan and the Pugs (Ozzie and Mad Max)
2004 Dodge Ram 3500 QC, PacBrake PRXB
Prodigy
2007 Grand Junction 35TMS

Duck
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
I keep the front cap well waxed. I also carry a soft washing brush on an extendable handle with me all the time. I will wash as soon as the 5er is setup. I don't as if washing the 5er or truck is allowed in the park I just do the front cap. I will also do the front do the TV Grill and bumper.

X2
Don
08-FORD F350 PSD
13 Bighorn 3055RL {For Sale}

KSadler1
Explorer
Explorer
You can also buy rolled plastic coating to put on your front cap if you know you're going to be in an area like that. When you get home you just peel it off bugs and all. I've never used it but others swear by it. I think 3M carries it.....
2008 Ford F250 XLT Super Duty SB Crew Cab 6.8L V-10 4x4 4:10
(former 5er owner)

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
I keep the front cap well waxed. I also carry a soft washing brush on an extendable handle with me all the time. I will wash as soon as the 5er is setup. I don't as if washing the 5er or truck is allowed in the park I just do the front cap. I will also do the front do the TV Grill and bumper.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

wildbyon
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all. I'll try a boat cleaner/wax.

Boy do I remember "love" bugs. I grew up in Houston and remember a red Intergra I had w/ spotted front end and mirrors. They DO remove paint when left on, I became a believer.
'01 Ford F350-7.3l PS Diesel, Lariet, Crew Cab, 4x4, Dully,
BTS transmission, Air bag suspension, exhaust brake, post gauges,
performance chip, 4" exhaust, remote start
'11 5th Wheel 38'Forest River Cardinal
'15 RZR 900 50" Trail, S x S

SandSOrrell
Explorer
Explorer
We got back in late May from a trip to Florida. The front cap was COVERED in love bugs (grrr- hate 'em). I rinsed the bugs off some with just high pressure water while we were camped near St. Augustine. But we barely made a dent in them. We waited until we got home to really get after them. At the time I was really worried because they had been on a couple of weeks, but Bounce + elbow grease got them off. No pitting or staining. But from now on, I think we'll get after them as soon as possible and not wait. Better yet, we will stay out of Florida during love bug season! Very nasty critters.
Skip and Susan
2013 Cedar Creek 34 RLSA
2013 Chevy Crew Cab 3500 D/A DRW 4X4

USAF, Ret (63-83)
Vietnam (off and on 65-75)

Eycom
Explorer
Explorer
Hopefully it hasn't oxidized and damaged the finish. We have that problem in Florida with love bugs when, left on too long in the sun will pit both paint and chrome. Rubbing compound helps with a good coat or two of wax. Good luck.
RVn Full-time

45Ricochet
Explorer
Explorer
Dryer sheets like Bounce do a fine job. That and keeping it waxed helps.
2015 Tiffin Phaeton Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, 45K GCWR
10KW Onan, Magnum Pure Sine Wave Inverter
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig
06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
06 Grand Junction 15500 GVWR 3200 pin