Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bunkhouse 5th wheels...suggestions

Txfirerescue77
Explorer
Explorer
Hi to everyone,
For the past 5 years my family has done well with our old trusty Four Winds 29Q TT, but as of 3 days ago we finally sold her with intentions of upgrading to a 5th wheel, We have 4 kids ranging from 1 - 14 so we definitely need something that sleeps at least six with out having to fold something out every day. So far I have found the Montana Mountaineer 345DBQ and we really like the set up with 4 bunks in the back with two rear slides, but that really seem to be all I have found so far. It seems most 5th wheels have the living room in the back and are set up for couples to live out of them. Any other models other than mentioned about with this set up? We like the Montana but have a hard time finding ones for sale, also they are pretty pricey to boot for even a decent used one. I would really like to stay under the $30k mark. I look forward to the advice
32 REPLIES 32

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Brutus Buckeye wrote:
Lantley wrote:
I currently have a 39' Bunkhouse with dual opposing rear slides that creates a great bunk room. However I am intrigued by the mid bunk units that allow for a rear living room area. Avoid models with the additional 1/2 bath. The 2nd black tank is more trouble than its worth unless you are full timing.
Also be sure the bunk room is large enough for the kids to do more than just sleep. Give them a place to call their own and hang out.
Lastly the kids are going to grow be sure the beds are big enough to accommodate them getting bigger. They won't be toddlers forever
As my kids have gotten older my bunkhouse days are winding down.
I look forward to buying a rig that won't be a bunkhouse....LOL

Can you please explain why it is not a good idea to have a second bathroom? It sounds like there is a separate black water tank, which will I was not aware of. I have decided on a fifth wheel of the second bathroom because I have a wife and two daughters and thought it would be a great idea.

You hit the nail on the head. I am adamantly opposed to the 2nd black tank. Maintaining the tank becomes more trouble than it's worth. Instead of having one relatively full tank I end up with 2 relatively empty tanks. There is really no upside. The line to the bathroom is shorter but really there is no line.
If I really have to go I am 1st in line over the kids every time.
As in a stick house having a 2nd bath is convenient. However there is no black tank in a stick house to infringe on that convenience.
The black tank is the deal breaker. Not only is there a 2nd tank there is also a 2nd discharge pipe which mean manipulating the sewer hoses in some fashion. Either using a wye to connect the pipes or moving the sewer hose between connections.
Eliminate the 2nd bath and all the additional work goes away. The space used by the 2nd bath can be put to better use.
My family of 4 can easily survive a week on a 40 gallon black tank. It's the grey tank that fills having additional black tank capacity is generally not beneficial.
I imagine if you have a family of 6 or larger or full time the 2nd bath may be beneficial. If someone else is maintaining/dumping the tanks maybe there is no issue.
However I am the tank dumper/flusher of my crew I get zero additional benefit from having a 2nd black tank except the opportunity to dump it and rinse it.
While we all know tank dumping is one of the necessary evils of the RV life. Why double the duty with a 2nd black tank unless you absolutely have to? Dumping the additional tank quickly eliminates
any advantages/conveniences of having the 2nd 1/2 bath.
Face it the 1/2 bath is a amenity not a necessity. However it is an amenity that can be eliminated without changing the function of the RV at all. I see it as a convenience for the kids not the adults.
I have removed the toilet from my 1/2 bath and created a nice outdoor accessible closet.
In hindsight there are plenty of single bathroom bunkhouse floorplans unless you have a specific need for 2 black tanks do yourself a favor and only purchase 1 😉
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

Brutus_Buckeye
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
I currently have a 39' Bunkhouse with dual opposing rear slides that creates a great bunk room. However I am intrigued by the mid bunk units that allow for a rear living room area. Avoid models with the additional 1/2 bath. The 2nd black tank is more trouble than its worth unless you are full timing.
Also be sure the bunk room is large enough for the kids to do more than just sleep. Give them a place to call their own and hang out.
Lastly the kids are going to grow be sure the beds are big enough to accommodate them getting bigger. They won't be toddlers forever
As my kids have gotten older my bunkhouse days are winding down.
I look forward to buying a rig that won't be a bunkhouse....LOL

Can you please explain why it is not a good idea to have a second bathroom? It sounds like there is a separate black water tank, which will I was not aware of. I have decided on a fifth wheel of the second bathroom because I have a wife and two daughters and thought it would be a great idea.

Sorry, I was too quick to jump on and ask this question for realizing it had been answered a couple of times. Please disregard, I could not find out how to delete this

Txfirerescue77
Explorer
Explorer
Fineline1 wrote:
We just got a Cougar 320QBS last fall. We only got one weekend trip in but it seems good so far. It has quad bunks in the back and the two on the drivers side are bigger.
I would check the Cougar 32BHS. It looks like a good floorplan with 4 bunks and has the extra crapper/sink only in front for Ma and Pa. KZ has a similar floorplan but it only has three bunks.
I would check out Jayco as well.
What do you currently have for a truck? It would be nice not to have to trade.

I have a 2006 GMC 2500 with the LBZ Duramax/Allison 6 speed. I’m not really too worried about my truck. I plan on putting airbags and maybe a stock tune with a turbo break tune added to it.

Fineline1
Explorer
Explorer
We just got a Cougar 320QBS last fall. We only got one weekend trip in but it seems good so far. It has quad bunks in the back and the two on the drivers side are bigger.
I would check the Cougar 32BHS. It looks like a good floorplan with 4 bunks and has the extra crapper/sink only in front for Ma and Pa. KZ has a similar floorplan but it only has three bunks.
I would check out Jayco as well.
What do you currently have for a truck? It would be nice not to have to trade.

zell66
Explorer
Explorer
We just purchased the 2012 a few weeks ago, so far we are in love with it. It tows like a dream with my F350, and the family cant wait for this white **** to be gone so we can use her.

Txfirerescue77
Explorer
Explorer
zell66 wrote:
Sandpiper 365saq!!!

This is the first one I have seen that is now in direct competition with the Montana 345DBQ. Thanks for the suggestion, it’s exactly what I have in mind

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
The 1/2 bath w/2nd dump is a hassle, for sure. But the good far outweighs the bad. Not having to hear my wife complain about my kids' practices in the bathroom is worth it. For some reason the whole bathroom thing and RVs freaks my wife out. I guess I messed up in telling her we sometimes carry our waste with us in tanks. My wife is a college educated, very smart women but for some reason I guess she just thought RV poo "vaporized" 🙂 🙂

Anyway, finding a way to dump at home has REALLY made life easier and I highly recommend it to anyone even considering it. Not having to mess with tanks before packing up and having a functional bathroom while rolling home is glorious compared to dumping at camp.

zell66
Explorer
Explorer
Sandpiper 365saq!!!

Txfirerescue77
Explorer
Explorer
mekkerl wrote:
We are a family of six...four kids ages 5-10 right now. We are about to start our third season with a 2012 Cedar Creek Silverback 35QB4...dual slide bunk-house in the back, with a TON of storage in the kids room for their clothes, toys, books, etc. Each has their own large drawer and closet. And there are a few spare drawers and closets in that same space.
We have the 1/2 bath...and LOVE it. My rig has five holding tanks, but has only one drain outlet...which is by far the best way to go. No need for multiple sewer hoses, or 'y's and 't's.
I went to an RV show over the weekend in Syracuse...and there are no fifth wheels that can match up to ours with the amenities that we currently have. That's unfortunate, but at the same time, makes us feel really good about what we have!
When looking for our rig, one rule was that each kid had to have their own bed...no folding out sofas or tables, etc.
Hope this helps!

That’s exactly what we want, with 4 kids I want each to have their own bed and I don’t want to make it up everyday into a couch. I like them to have dedicated beds. I also really like the idea of a second bath. I feel like it will be worth the hassle to keep them at their own end of the trailer. I really like the dual rear slides giving a large area in the back. Storage is a huge factor with six people always campus. I can’t believe we made it this long in a 29 foot TT with no slides. Last years spring break trip to the TX hill country sealed the deal, we all agreed we officially outgrew it.

mekkerl
Explorer
Explorer
We are a family of six...four kids ages 5-10 right now. We are about to start our third season with a 2012 Cedar Creek Silverback 35QB4...dual slide bunk-house in the back, with a TON of storage in the kids room for their clothes, toys, books, etc. Each has their own large drawer and closet. And there are a few spare drawers and closets in that same space.
We have the 1/2 bath...and LOVE it. My rig has five holding tanks, but has only one drain outlet...which is by far the best way to go. No need for multiple sewer hoses, or 'y's and 't's.
I went to an RV show over the weekend in Syracuse...and there are no fifth wheels that can match up to ours with the amenities that we currently have. That's unfortunate, but at the same time, makes us feel really good about what we have!
When looking for our rig, one rule was that each kid had to have their own bed...no folding out sofas or tables, etc.
Hope this helps!
Luke & Carolyn
2012 Cedar Creek Silverback 35QB4
2013 Sierra 3500HD Duramax CC SRW SB 4x4
Andersen Ultimate Aluminum 2 Gooseneck Mount

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
ependydad wrote:
Honestly, most manufacturers have some kind of bunkhouse model.

Sabre had quite a few. My 2013 36QBOK is setup very similar to what you saw- bunk house with dual opposing slides in the rear. They also had a model with only 1 slide in the bunkhouse to save on weight.

Back when we were shopping in 2011/2012, I made a spreadsheet of all of the bunkhouse models that I could find. Ironically, my camper isn't on the list as my wife found it as they were releasing the 2013s. We literally bought it based on pictures of their pre-production model.

Here's the spreadsheet. Maybe it'll help you.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1afeTxzIhLnZGdKOFiUEU87rmIUqGOW9EaSiK2r44Crk/edit?usp=sharing

And, Lantley and I have very different opinions on the 1/2 bath. Even before we fulltimed, I love having it. Keeps the kids (and guests) and their mess out of my space.

I hear you on keeping them out of your space. But I don't consider the toilet my space. ...LOL But I do understand your point.
I just don't think the convenience of having a shorter line at the bathroom is not worth the additional work it takes maintaining the tanks. I understand Dumping is a necessary evil, but dumping 1/2 empty black tanks vs. full tanks is a waste of time.
All of us on this forum enjoy RV'ing, but wee know RV requires lots of effort. That 2nd black tank tilts the effort scale for me. Which is why I eliminated it. My 1/2 bath closet has become a great additional storage space. I should patent my new custom floorplan
From a broader perspective I come to believe that duplication in a RV is a waste. With that in mind the 1/2 bath space could be put to better use.
Outdoor kitchens are questionable because I don't need:2 stoves, 2 microwaves, 2 fridges.
I prefer to use that space for something else vs. duplication.
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

Humpty
Explorer
Explorer
Txfirerescue77 wrote:

What makes the second tank such a pain?

For us (family of 4), the half bath is definitely worth it. Yes - Having an extra tank to dump with a separate outlet does add a little "Complexity". I started out using a y-fitting. That was more trouble than it was worth.

With FHU, I use 1 hose connected to the main outlet. If the rear blank needs to be emptied before we leave, I move the hose. Having enough water is never an issue. The sink drains to the same tank.

When it is time to empty all, I empty rear black first, move the hose, then dump main black tank followed by the 2 grey tanks.
2007 Challenger 33DBB parked on the Coast

2016 GMC Canyon Diesel

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
Honestly, most manufacturers have some kind of bunkhouse model.

Sabre had quite a few. My 2013 36QBOK is setup very similar to what you saw- bunk house with dual opposing slides in the rear. They also had a model with only 1 slide in the bunkhouse to save on weight.

Back when we were shopping in 2011/2012, I made a spreadsheet of all of the bunkhouse models that I could find. Ironically, my camper isn't on the list as my wife found it as they were releasing the 2013s. We literally bought it based on pictures of their pre-production model.

Here's the spreadsheet. Maybe it'll help you.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1afeTxzIhLnZGdKOFiUEU87rmIUqGOW9EaSiK2r44Crk/edit?usp=sharing

And, Lantley and I have very different opinions on the 1/2 bath. Even before we fulltimed, I love having it. Keeps the kids (and guests) and their mess out of my space.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

Txfirerescue77
Explorer
Explorer
mtofell1 wrote:
Keystone Hideout 308bhds - 9000# dry, 1/2 bath in the front bedroom, rear bunk room has a slide and can sleep 4 kids with the couch folded flat. It also has a super nice outdoor kitchen.

The Hideout is the entry level of Keystone but mine has been decent over the last 2+ years. The floor plan checked all the boxes so we went for it. I paid about 32K out the door for my 2016 model. You're going to have a tough time getting everything you list and staying under 30K is going new.

I’m not going new, it’s going to have to be used. There really no way around it.