cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

buy new or used Fifth wheel

donasmocha
Explorer
Explorer
My husband and I are newbies we have been in a 30 ft travel trailer for 9 months and want to get a fifth wheel now. We bought a 2014 heavy duty Silverado 2500 z71 4x4 in Nov. now we are looking for a new or used trailer. Question which one? some have said used then some said new we are so confused! Help!
40 REPLIES 40

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
KATOOM wrote:
donasmocha wrote:
NC Hauler, Thanks for the info I do know that my husband made sure that we got a 4.0 ratio on the axle on the truck and other things cause he knows all that stuff. He's good at that kind of thing. But I am still going to MAKE SURE that he reads this and checks our truck to weights and other so when we do look we will be ahead of game. Yes money does play a role in buying. we don't want to have to buy another trailer for a long time. We got talked into this one that we have now and wish we had taken our time but was rushed into it. this is our first one. That's why we now want a bigger one but better cause we will be living in it full time.

I dont think there is any "perfect" trailer and there's nothing wrong with having more than one over the years. Picking the right one forever is impossible as your needs and wants change over time. When we started RVing we went very cheap and very old so that we could get an idea of what we wanted.....or if we even liked RVing. Years later we found we loved it and saved to get a newer larger one. We're enjoying what we have but I can see where sometime in the future we'll be looking for another one thats probably not so big because there will be less of us packed in there as the kids are older and busy with their own schedules. Just get something that you like and have fun while you still can.....

I would say it depends on age and budget...We have an 06' HR Presidential Suite with 4 slides, it looks "almost" as good as the day we purchased it new...I'm hoping to retire in a little over 2 yrs...at this time, the 5er we have now will be the "last one" we'll have.. so some may have different plans than others.....We purchased new one's for years, now we're looking towards retirement and feel the one we have now will suffice for us....So a lot has to do with what I stated in my first sentence. Some, like my wife and I plan on having this one for a very long time....if younger, thoughts would be different:)
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

KATOOM
Explorer
Explorer
donasmocha wrote:
NC Hauler, Thanks for the info I do know that my husband made sure that we got a 4.0 ratio on the axle on the truck and other things cause he knows all that stuff. He's good at that kind of thing. But I am still going to MAKE SURE that he reads this and checks our truck to weights and other so when we do look we will be ahead of game. Yes money does play a role in buying. we don't want to have to buy another trailer for a long time. We got talked into this one that we have now and wish we had taken our time but was rushed into it. this is our first one. That's why we now want a bigger one but better cause we will be living in it full time.

I dont think there is any "perfect" trailer and there's nothing wrong with having more than one over the years. Picking the right one forever is impossible as your needs and wants change over time. When we started RVing we went very cheap and very old so that we could get an idea of what we wanted.....or if we even liked RVing. Years later we found we loved it and saved to get a newer larger one. We're enjoying what we have but I can see where sometime in the future we'll be looking for another one thats probably not so big because there will be less of us packed in there as the kids are older and busy with their own schedules. Just get something that you like and have fun while you still can.....

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
donasmocha wrote:

Good deal...glad that he's got the numbers and working from there...thus the reason I mentioned it, and knowing that you are "full timing"...figure you want more storage space, thus a bigger 5er...With the 4:10, you have higher GCWR also... can tow more. Again, good luck in finding the 5er that'll fit your needs:)
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

donasmocha
Explorer
Explorer

donasmocha
Explorer
Explorer
NC Hauler wrote:
donasmocha wrote:
My husband and I are newbies we have been in a 30 ft travel trailer for 9 months and want to get a fifth wheel now. We bought a 2014 heavy duty Silverado 2500 z71 4x4 in Nov. now we are looking for a new or used trailer. Question which one? some have said used then some said new we are so confused! Help!

I will answer your question as suggested by another. I would look for a good used unit. Now for some extra information that others are trying to pass on to you or that, in your decison on what 5er to get, you should use in your equation on what 5er to purchase....You will need to look at the "numbers" on your 2014 Chevy 2500...ie, payload, GVWR(gross vehicle weight rating), GCWR (gross combined weight rating...what truck and 5er together is recommended to weigh), and RAWR(rear axle weight rating, what your rear axle can handle as far as weight goes).

You may have to nix some heavier 5er's, . Don't know what the payload of your truck is, but you will be adding approx. 200# for a 5er hitch and whatever 5er you opt to purchase, you will want to use it's GVW to try to ballpark it's "pin weight", the amount of weight you'll put in the bed of your truck when you hitch up to the 5th wheel, (usually 20% of the 5er's weight). You may not load the 5er to it's max GVW, but it's best to try to match the 5er to your truck to make sure your towing experience is a good one.

hope this helped, I know you didn't ask for this information, but it will be most important to look at the weights of the 5th wheels to make sure you match the right 5er to your truck.....good luck and safe travels to you ๐Ÿ™‚

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
donasmocha wrote:

I will answer your question as suggested by another. I would look for a good used unit. Now for some extra information that others are trying to pass on to you or that, in your decison on what 5er to get, you should use in your equation on what 5er to purchase....You will need to look at the "numbers" on your 2014 Chevy 2500...ie, payload, GVWR(gross vehicle weight rating), GCWR (gross combined weight rating...what truck and 5er together is recommended to weigh), and RAWR(rear axle weight rating, what your rear axle can handle as far as weight goes).

You may have to nix some heavier 5er's, . Don't know what the payload of your truck is, but you will be adding approx. 200# for a 5er hitch and whatever 5er you opt to purchase, you will want to use it's GVW to try to ballpark it's "pin weight", the amount of weight you'll put in the bed of your truck when you hitch up to the 5th wheel, (usually 20% of the 5er's weight). You may not load the 5er to it's max GVW, but it's best to try to match the 5er to your truck to make sure your towing experience is a good one.

hope this helped, I know you didn't ask for this information, but it will be most important to look at the weights of the 5th wheels to make sure you match the right 5er to your truck.....good luck and safe travels to you ๐Ÿ™‚
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

rkortes
Explorer
Explorer
Used if you want to save like 30 - 50 percent. RV's lose their value SUPER fast!
Truck - 2005 GMC 3500 SRW Duramax/Ali
Toy Hauler - 2008 Ragen FA3005
The Journey Is The Destination!

KATOOM
Explorer
Explorer
In regards to the OP (Original Post), as I saw already mentioned, if money is no object then its up to whatever you're looking for. But as it is with most people whereby money is an object, I would suggest looking for used. There are tons of RV/trailers out there for sale on the used market. And dealer "used" will be more expensive too. "New" is always nice and fun no matter what you're buying but honestly I cant figure out for the life of me what cost so much in the RV/trailer industry which justifies the insanely high prices these things go for. Or.....is it that people just pay it? Who can afford something almost expensive as your house but you only use two to three times a year? Plus if you're lucky enough to have room to park it at your house otherwise you have to pay more money to park it somewhere.

If you're a savvy/wise shopper then you can find some great opportunities buying used. Not all stuff is beat up or abused and stay away from anything lived in. When we were looking for a trailer, we mistakenly stopped in at the dealer and sat in some new models. Yes, they are very attractive and smell nice but the stratosphere sticker price makes them terribly ugly to me. So instead we looked around for about 2 years and found a trailer 6 years old in great condition that worked for us. And it was around 1/4 of its original sticker price. That said, we had the time to look around and were in no hurry as we had particular features in mind.

Tin_Pusher
Explorer II
Explorer II
I buy most of my bigger ticket items used. Lots and lots of good used stuff out there. Don't kow how they can sell new stuff ๐Ÿ™‚

One thing I like, no warranty hassles. It breaks, its yours ๐Ÿ™‚
Tin Pusher's Guide To Successful RV'ing: "Don't get mad, don't get in a hurry"

2002 1500HD
2002 Wilderness 265H
1997 Seadoo GTI
1952 Wife;)

MNRon
Explorer
Explorer
New or used? If money is not an issue I'd look for floor plan, build quality, and glitz/glam in that order (glitz/glam is only place new/used comes into play). If you'd rather spend less than more, you'll do much better used.

Given your first TT lasted 9 months, I wouldn't bet that you're buying your last trailer yet. Again a vote towards used, unless money doesn't matter.

We just came back from a winter month in TX and drove through Chanute KS (about 600miles from you I believe). Long story short, we're going back in a couple weeks to pick up our 2005 NuWa 5er. They have a large selection of very nice used units, and we've been very impressed with them. I'd recommend you browse their inventory online (nuwa.com) and you might find it worth a long days drive...
Ron & Pat
2022 F350 Lariat CCSB SRW Diesel
2019 VanLeigh Vilano 320 GK

donasmocha
Explorer
Explorer
First off what is OP? I'm new at this and don't know what intials mean. Next Thank you all for the input cause now I have done nothing but look on the internet at fifth wheels and my eyes see them in my sleep. lol but I am getting a lot of info! I have started a list of what we want in a 5er (see I'm learning).

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
Green728, did you read what the OP said about weight? Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

ventrman
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a used Forest River Sierra, It was in Brand New Condition. I vote for used. Just look around till you find the right one.
God Bless!

Peg_Leg
Explorer
Explorer
1st you have tires on the rear that are likely able to carry 6,000 lbs. Check the tire sidewalls for capacity at max psi. For accurate numbers, weigh your trucks rear axle with the entire family and pets, full of fuel. Then add in the weight of a 5th wheel hitch and any thing you plan on hauling in the bed. Subtract this total from your tires capacity and this is the pin weight you can safely carry.

Example, My 5er's dry pin weigh is listed as 1500 lbs. Ahh but that nice big basement, the closets, cabinets it's now up to over 2500 lbs. It would be hard to keep a 10,000 lb GVW 5er's pin weight under 2,000 lbs.
2012 Chevy 3500HD Dually 4X4
Crew Cab long bed 6.0 gasser 4.10
2019 Open Range OF337RLS
Yamaha EF3000iSE
retired gadgetman

amandasgramma
Explorer
Explorer
Explored new and used RVs (all types) at the RV show in Quartzsite, AZ this year.......After seeing what used were being sold for after 2-3 yrs, I will NEVER buy new! Some were less than 1/2 original price!!!
My mind is a garden. My thoughts are the seeds. My harvest will be either flower or weeds

Dee and Bob
plus 2 spoiled cats
On the road FULL-TIME.......see ya there, my friend