cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hidden Gooseneck to new 5th wheel problems

cgrace1998
Explorer
Explorer
We have just purchased a Sprinter 269FWRLS Copper Canyon. Our tow vehicle is a 2011 Chevy 3500HD 4x4 Ext. Cab 8 foot bed. We have a B&W Hidden Turnoverball. The bed of the pickup also has a fuel tank and large tool box at the front and side tool boxes. Our problem is finding a proper (not losing our warranty) or structurally damaging the frame or fiberglass pinbox or adapters/extensions that will allow clearance of all these boxes. The side boxes are flush to the top of the bed. We need to be able to clear the toolbox and fuel tank in front, so something that extends us back from the hitch. Also, something that adapts the ball higher for clearance of the side tool boxes. Please help we have been trying to get our new 5th wheel picked up for 2 weeks. I guess we should have just stuck to travel trailers, but we fell in love with this 5th Wheel and now can not even find anyone who can figure out how we are going to tow.

Update, we have decided to go with the B&W Companion 3500 to get clearance of the fuel tank and tool box in front of bed. After HOURS of research and lots of wonderful answers from this forum, we have removed the side boxes and are looking at some under bed/body boxes to replace side boxes. Thank you to you all! Hopefully, God willing after 4 weeks we will be able to pick our new 5vr.
Has anybody heard of or used colibert rail rider or Free Ride BW?
13 REPLIES 13

cgrace1998
Explorer
Explorer
Well, we have the 5vr picked up, but not after a lot of disappointment. When we purchased the dealership assured us that we would be able to pick up the 5vr with everything (we explained repeatedly) in the bed of the truck. On 3/12/14 my husband & his employees took out the fuel tank and front tool box. Side boxes had been removed days ago. We have the B&W Companion 3500 which is a great hitch!! Looks like we can either put the front box or fuel tank back in, get under body boxes, and/or fuel tank and narrower front tool box. Right now it does not matter, have to renew Crane certification 3/17 - 3/20. Will not have time to deal with 5vr issues. Have a job site to run and a school to go to at the same time that are about 100 miles from each other. Just wanted to thank those that tried to help. Also, B&W Hitches tech service when you call them are the most professional, knowledgeable and courteous, also in America made by Americans!!!! No metric needed to install or to remove. Now on to the little issues you have when you buy a new 5vr.

oilslick
Explorer
Explorer
Either ditch the toolbox for a different one or go back to a TT.

cgrace1998
Explorer
Explorer
The tool box is 48" tall from the bed it sits on. It is 28" tall from bedrails. It is very difficult to see out the rear window, because of the headache rack and the tool box. we have about 13" of window to see out. I wish I knew how to post pictures to this website. I have a couple posted in our profile. Thank you for your input. If any of you are Keystone owners there are 9 pictures posted on the Keystone owners forum.

Dayle1
Explorer II
Explorer II
cgrace1998 wrote:
I think putting some measurements on this site will help you all better understand the issues. We only have 12 1/4" from front fuel tank to the B&W Hidden Gooseneck ball center. Front Toolbox is 48" tall sits on/above bed rails. From ball to tailgate is 48". Still looking for suggestions, but at this point we just want to get 5vr picked up. So until someone out there has a suggestion we are taking everything out of bed, and we will just have to put it back in. Thanks for your help.

With the long bed you have roughly 60 inches from the cab to the rear axle which is also the hitch center line. So, if you have about 12 inches left, that means your tool box and fuel tank are roughly 48 inches wide total. And the tool box is 48 inches tall??? Which puts it about 26 inches taller than the truck bed rails. Is that correct?? If so, how do you see out the back window to hitch up??? Anything taller than the bed rails that is closer than 48 inches from the ball center is a problem. Pics and/or more measurements are really needed for any useful assistance.
Larry Day
Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders since '01
'13 Silverado 3500HD LT 2wd CCSB SRW, custom RKI bed
'19 Starcraft Telluride 292RLS
Rig Photos

cgrace1998
Explorer
Explorer
I think putting some measurements on this site will help you all better understand the issues. We only have 12 1/4" from front fuel tank to the B&W Hidden Gooseneck ball center. Front Toolbox is 28" tall sits on/above bed rails. From ball to tailgate is 48". Still looking for suggestions, but at this point we just want to get 5vr picked up. So until someone out there has a suggestion we are taking everything out of bed, and we will just have to put it back in. Thanks for your help.

ddschuman
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 50 gallon aux fuel tank/toolbox in the bed of our truck next to cab and have no problems. The toolbox section is narrow though. It is just large enough to carry a few "toolbox" necessities. Not sure what you have. Our 5th wheel has plenty of clearance with our setup.
Escaping the real world in our "home away from home"
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS
2016 Chevrolet 3500 High Country Duramax Dually

Pipeman
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 1 ton GMC dually, crew cab 4 door, long box with a 50 gallon fuel tank in front of the 5th wheel. It sits below the bed rail. For some odd reason I'm not understanding your problem. With an 8 ft box , your 5er should not even come close to hitting your tool box/fuel tank combo unless the combo is very wide. I even put a 50 gallon fresh water tank behind the fuel tank and no problem with clearance. I have a trailer air pin box that I have to watch on tight turns so that it clears the rail that the the tonneau cover lays out on. The 5th wheel is a Reese.
Pipeman
Ontario, Canada
35 year Fire Fighter(retired)
VE3PJF

motorcycle_jack
Explorer II
Explorer II
Why not convert to a B&W Companion 5th wheel hitch (fits in the turn over hole) and remove the goose neck adapter and put on a Trail Air 5th wheel. You can then adjust the B&W and the Trail Air for the clearance needed. Lots of people run this combination.
John
"Motorcycle Jack"
Life time Good Sam Member
Blog: My RV
5th Wheel Blog

Full timing isn't "always camping". It's a different life style living in an RV.

sk734
Explorer
Explorer
Buy an under the bed tool box-you should have no clearance issues. I run an under the bed aux fuel box with no problems with my B&W. The only problems with some trucks today is the height of the truck box sides. B&W does make a Patriot hitch that is 19" high at its highest point however the tow rating is for 16K max. Good luck

nremtp143
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats on the B&W as I believe they are the best hitch on the market, plus the customer support is second to none! Take a look at the rear bed boxes for the truck like these maybe..5th Wheel Tool Boxes
2016 Montana 3790RD, Legacy Edition, G614s, TST TPMS
2008 Thor Vortex 26FS
2013 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4, Edge CTS, B&W Companion, Viair 10007 Air System, Firestone Air Bags
2001 Excursion Limited 7.3L 4x4, V/B Springs
2001 Silverado 3500 DRW CCLB 8.1L/Allison 4x4

cgrace1998
Explorer
Explorer
Well I guess I posted an update with wishful thinking... The service tech at the dealer after putting together the companion 3500 B&W says based on the pictures we sent him with a tape measure displaying measurements the B&W 3500 is not going to have enough height to get over the tool box and fuel tank in the front of the bed. So after he told me the only clearance problem was the side tool boxes and we remove them we are back to square one. No way to tow our new 5vr. After removal of the side boxes the front tool box is a must as is the fuel tank. No one out there has a Chevy 3500HD 4x4, 4 door with a fuel tank and toolbox in front? If I knew how to attach the pictures I would. Please help, I am at the point of begging.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
cgrace1998 wrote:
We have just purchased a Sprinter 269FWRLS Copper Canyon. Our tow vehicle is a 2011 Chevy 3500HD 4x4 Ext. Cab 8 foot bed. We have a B&W Hidden Turnoverball. The bed of the pickup also has a fuel tank and large tool box at the front and side tool boxes. Our problem is finding a proper (not losing our warranty) or structurally damaging the frame or fiberglass pinbox or adapters/extensions that will allow clearance of all these boxes. The side boxes are flush to the top of the bed. We need to be able to clear the toolbox and fuel tank in front, so something that extends us back from the hitch. Also, something that adapts the ball higher for clearance of the side tool boxes. Please help we have been trying to get our new 5th wheel picked up for 2 weeks. I guess we should have just stuck to travel trailers, but we fell in love with this 5th Wheel and now can not even find anyone who can figure out how we are going to tow.

Update, we have decided to go with the B&W Companion 3500 to get clearance of the fuel tank and tool box in front of bed. After HOURS of research and lots of wonderful answers from this forum, we have removed the side boxes and are looking at some under bed/body boxes to replace side boxes. Thank you to you all! Hopefully, God willing after 4 weeks we will be able to pick our new 5vr.

Hard to beat any B&W product. I have, and use, both the Turnover Ball and Companion.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

oweninthekeys
Explorer
Explorer
Take a look at the Andersen Ultimate Fifth Wheel.

Link
USAF Retired 2000
DOD Civilian to Retire 2015
2014 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4L Hemi
Andersen Ultimate Fifth Wheel Adapter Hitch
2014 Winnebago Lite Five FW30RES