cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Buying a fifth wheel with a tow vehicle.

jy
Explorer
Explorer
A friend of mine is looking to but a fifth wheel and a tow vehicle.I have seen a few times where someone is selling there trailer with there tow vehicle.Are there any specific sites that advertise 5th wheel/tow vehicle combos?
2016 wildwood bunkhouse,2018 f150 5.0.Camping with the grandkids now.
13 REPLIES 13

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
I'm thinking that when the time comes, I will market my truck and fifth wheel as a combo. My trailer is older and the overhang height is too low for the newer trucks. I could see the merit in a turn-key purchase. Much time and money went into making the duo a comfortable, safe, and reliable tow.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
My inlaws bought that way. Worked great for them.
I think the key is having enough knowledge to understand how well the two are matched. I would not automatically assume all rigs are mismatched. From what I see in CG's, that's a fairly rare occurrence.

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
I've seen several over the years on RvTrader.com How to search that, I'm not sure.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

michael621
Explorer
Explorer
Advertising is not allowed on these forums. Post removed according to ourForum Rules

stripit
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased a combo from a couple out of California, medium duty truck and 5th wheel, they purchased both units new. I flew in from Detroit, bought them and drove them back to Michigan. Years later I sold the combo to one person. Bought them right as a combo, and sold them right as a combo. If you kind of know what it is your looking for and are able to wait for the right one, they can be found.
Stacey Frank
2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40AP
2019 Tesla Model X
2015 Cadillac SRX we Tow
1991 Avanti Convertible

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nicely setup combos are out there but you have to be diligent, patient & willing to travel to get the right one if you are specific on what you want.

We got lucky & found exactly what we wanted after only a three month search. The catch was that it was a full day, FLYING, away in Austin, TX. We live in Bermuda. Yes the triangle Bermuda, so we were all but committed before we got on the first plane to go look. That was late 2006.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
BurbMan wrote:
Buying truck and trailer at the same time is often a good deal vs. buying separately, assuming that: 1. the previous owner did their homework and the truck is a good match for the trailer, and 2. the truck has all the features that would want. Also considering that HD trucks are in very short supply right now, your friend may have trouble finding what they want and if they do are likely to pay a premium from a dealer.

It might be a good deal...or it might be a bad deal:
- 1: I would assume they didn't do their homework. A poor match may be what is pushing them to just get out of RVing. If it's overloaded and feels uncomfortable, they may think to just sell it all and let you deal with the problems. Do your own homework.
- 2: Again, it may more may not have the features you want.

I wouldn't object to checking out a combo but I would be doing all my own homework to see if the truck is suitable. I certainly wouldn't be locking myself into only looking at combos.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
escapees.com. Check their ads if they still exist. Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good advice aboveโ€ฆfind the 5er first and then match an ADEQUATE TV to itโ€ฆability to carry and pull.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are a couple of Facebook groups for folks selling 5ers, and a lot of ads are for the truck/trailer combo. Search for 5th wheel for sale, there are 2 or 3 national groups that we joined when shopping for ours.

A lot of folks got into RVing when the pandemic hit and found out it wasn't for them, and don't have a reason to keep the HD truck if they're not pulling a trailer. Selling the combo is the easiest way to get rid of both at the same time.

Buying truck and trailer at the same time is often a good deal vs. buying separately, assuming that: 1. the previous owner did their homework and the truck is a good match for the trailer, and 2. the truck has all the features that would want. Also considering that HD trucks are in very short supply right now, your friend may have trouble finding what they want and if they do are likely to pay a premium from a dealer.

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
You have to be careful buying a rig with a tow vehicle. I have often seen rigs with an undersized tow vehicle.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
I had a Montana 5er and a member of the Montana Owners forum. And I also followed the Montana Owner page on Facebook. It is not unusual for owners to post on one or the other or both of a truck and trailer combo for sale. Likely other brand specific forums/Facebook pages to the same.
Don't know of any non brand specific site that regularly posts combos for sale.

way2roll
Navigator
Navigator
I don't think there is a specific site that sells combos. Check all the usual places to buy FW's (CL, RV Trader, FB etc. ) Personally I don't think shopping for a combo is the right approach. You are severely limited to a small percentage of the market compared to the FW's and trucks for sale separately. And in the end you have to love both at the same time. My advice, Find a FW they like with the floorplan etc they want, and then find a suitable truck to pull it. That way you get what you want instead of just settling for very small market of combos that's available.

Jeff - 2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS