cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Can I use this thermostat in my 5er ?

Bigmoss
Explorer
Explorer
I have a hydroflame thermostat in the 5er I bought in April and the off/on switch on the bottom jams really bad when turning it off and on and I am sure it is going to break any day so I want to order a replacement now.

Just wondering of anyone can confirm I can use this replacement. Mine is heat one nothing else. I am not good with electrical so I wanna try and get one where wires match up perfect and I can just plug and play.

Existing Switch:

Replacement

2016 Ford F-150 Screw Lariat Short Box
2015 Jayco Eagle HT 27.5 RLTS
Reese 30051 Hitch with Revolutionary Pin
24 REPLIES 24

Bigmoss
Explorer
Explorer
Finally got back to the trailer to start hunting and set the stat to 3 and all works perfect furnace comes on and off with a nice break !

Bigmoss
Explorer
Explorer
So I will want to raise to three then right ?

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
http://www.hunterfan.com/uploadedFiles/Support/Owner_Manuals/42999b.pdf

SPAN Setting
Your thermostat is set at the factory to cycle at 1ยฐF (0.5ยฐC) above
and below the set temperature. (Span = 2) This setting has been
designed to provide a comfortable room temperature under most
all conditions. However, if you find your system cycling too fast or
too slow, then the Span can be adjusted to modify the cycle time.
โ€ข Press and hold BOTH for three seconds. The
display will flash, and SPAN will be displayed
on the LCD.
โ€ข Press to raise the Span to 3. This setting
INCREASES the cycle time by allowing your
system to run LONGER.
โ€ข Press to lower the Span to 1. This setting
DECREASES the cycle time by causing your
system to run SHORTER.
The Span settings remain the same for both HEAT and COOL, and
can be changed in any System Switch position.
When batteries are installed in the thermostat, or the Reset key is
pressed, the Span is reset back to setting 2.

doughere
Explorer
Explorer
The unit is cycling too fast, I'm sure there are settings that can be changed to eliminate that. You ought to get it to cycle about 4 or 5 times an hour for best comfort and equipment life.

I'd go over the installation/configuration manuals and read them very carefully concerning cycle rate (ought to be 5 to 8 times per hour)if they use that, deadband/sensitivity or something in that area (decrease sensitivity or increase deadbane, I don't know what Hunter might call these), min off times (ought to be 5 min or so).

Regards,
Doug

Doug

Bigmoss
Explorer
Explorer
Just wanted to say thanks my new hunter thermostat came in on Friday and I wired it in and installed it with no issues. I like the look and yes way better than that old manual one.

The only thing I found was being its more sensitive the furnace comes on and off WAY more than before which I hope is ok being its a 1997 unit I just want to make sure it wont run the furnace down. It will reach temp and click off and some allot of times 90secs click on again without a long rest.

rsg63
Explorer
Explorer
I just replaced my Coleman Mach with this one and we are very happy, runs the A/C, Heater, programable, illuminated, and SUPER easy to install:
Lux TX9000TS Touch Screen.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000I7MANA/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edit: Sorry just noticed you only needed the heater. This is the one we have for our bedroom heater-only that replaced the same unit you had:

LuxPro PSD010B Digital 2 Wire Heat Only Thermostat

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002SR9PHM/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
2016 Bighorn/Fuel Rims/Michelin LTX's/MorRyde SRE4000 w/wetbolt kit
4-200AH LiPo batteries/MS2812 inverter/Prog 50A Surge/
8-100 Watt Renogy PV panels/60A Renogy Rover Converter/Reese Sidewinder/
2016 RAM 3500 Cummins MegaCab/45 aux tank/Hensley TS-3 hitch

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
Programmable thermostat ... turns the heat up before you get out of bed in the morning! Very nice.

Did the change myself in about 5 minutes. Too easy.

Both our fifth wheel and the camper now have Honeywell programmable thermostats.
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

Explorer II
Explorer II
double post
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

Explorer II
Explorer II
For an extra $20 I went with the Coleman digital RV Comfort HC. Direct wire replacement, no mods, no battery's, works like it should.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
I installed this one in a "heat only" rental condo.
I think it would have worked great for what you need.

LuxPro PSD010B Digital 2 wire $27

doughere
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-TH5110D1006-Focuspro-Non-Programmable-Thermostat/dp/B000GGPMO2/ref=pd_sim_sbs_hi_1

This is a link to the thermostat that I've used in my RV for about 5 years; it has worked flawlessly.

Dpig

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
Bigmoss wrote:
I just ordered a Hunter 42999 Digital thermostat seems like thats what allot of people are using and has battery operation.

Will give it a shot I guess, hope the wiring is easy !

That model handles cool and heat so you'll only use the heat mode and ignore all wiring for A/C, Fan etc. Your trailers furnace turns on when the two wires are shorted together and turns off when opened. So all the thermostat does is connect those two wires as needed to control temperature. On the Hunter these would be screw terminals RH and W. Should work far better than any mechanical thermostat.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

Bigmoss
Explorer
Explorer
I just ordered a Hunter 42999 Digital thermostat seems like thats what allot of people are using and has battery operation.

Will give it a shot I guess, hope the wiring is easy !