cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you jump your 5’er with your truck?

Mondooker
Explorer
Explorer
Hi guys, If I’ve seen this before I don’t remember it. Can you jump your 5’er batteries from the truck?
32 REPLIES 32

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
hornet28 wrote:
GEEZE My first impression was you were talking about jumping the 5er like the Dukes. Maybe I need more coffee.

"Can you jump your 5'er with your truck?"

From the side would be best.

Calculate the required speed & a launch ramp of appropriate length..:W

Check with Robbie Knievel.

All kidding aside, if you "jump" your 5'er *batteries* with your truck, chances are the trlr still won't start.

hotpepperkid
Explorer
Explorer
hornet28 wrote:
GEEZE My first impression was you were talking about jumping the 5er like the Dukes. Maybe I need more coffee.

That were my thoughts to. You know how many of those cars they crashed making that show trying to make that jump. I dont remember the exact number they told us but it was a bunch they trashed figering out where to put the weight, speed, ect
2019 Ford F-350 long bed SRW 4X4 6.4 PSD Grand Designs Reflection 295RL 5th wheel

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
If you are jumping the truck to the 5er or vice versa, just make sure if you have 6-volt batteries in series/parallel, get across 12-volts and not 6-volts.

Sure fire way to mess up an alternator ,,,

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
strikeu wrote:
I was always under the impression that you get all the power you need from the 7 pin to charge batteries or use 12V for any purpose. is that not correct?

strikeu,

It is rare that the 7 pin provides decent voltage to charge the house batteries.

One reason is length of wire and that causes voltage drop. The wire needs to be beefed up.

The best solution may be a dc to DC charger placed in the line. Placed near the house bank--but not in the same compartment.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Anyone figured out the take off ramp angle & the speed needed yet?
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

strikeu
Explorer
Explorer
I was always under the impression that you get all the power you need from the 7 pin to charge batteries or use 12V for any purpose. is that not correct?
2018 RAM 3500 DRW 6.7L Cummins (daily driver RAM 2500 same engine)
2017 Forest River Crusader
1 wife, 2 Cats
Fly Navy

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
I've had to do it both ways: jump the trailer from the truck when the battery ran down overnight from the furnace; jump the truck from the trailer (actually I started the generator and plugged in my battery charger to the trailer).

dedmiston
I've done it tons of times over the years. It's the #1 reason that I always unhitch from the truck (so I can turn the truck around to jump the gen if I need to). I don't really worry about it anymore with solar, but it's still a habit for me.

Keep in mind that you want to jump from the truck to the gen, not to your trailer batteries. If you have a large battery bank, it will take too long for the batteries to charge up enough to crank the gen. But you can connect directly to the hot side of the gen and the ground, and then it cranks right up.

It's always a shameful moment when you have to jump like this, but it happens a couple times a year in our groups (not to the same person though).

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
schlep1967 wrote:
It's funny that people think heavy gauge jumper cables are going to get hot.
Yeah, that is strange. They're designed for hundreds of amps. The clamps that connect to the batteries may get hot, over time, and transfer that heat to the cable.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
It's funny that people think heavy gauge jumper cables are going to get hot. Look at the wires going into the landing gear motor. Not exactly heavy wiring.
I had switch problems on my landing gear. I used my jumper cables that are 20 foot of 4 gauge wire. I clamped directly to the wires coming off the motor. The landing gear motor runs much faster when using the jumper cables than it ever did using the factory wiring.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Mondooker wrote:
My unit has two 6 volt batteries, four 6 volt batteries actually. Hopefully the solar will keep the batteries up? But great to know the truck batteries could be used if necessary.

Thanks guys

Don't try jumping if you don't understand the difference between a 6v system and 6v batteries wired to produce 12v.

But yes, you can power your RV 12v system by connecting into the truck battery:
- Leave the truck running, so you don't wind up with a dead truck battery (don't do this for long periods).
- You aren't "jumping" as that implies starting an engine...or using a big ramp to leap your truck over the top of the 5er (take a video if that's what you meant).

Google 6v batteries wired for 12v and make sure you fully understand how they are wired and where you would connect before trying it.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
Bionic Man wrote:
If you are concerned about slides and jacks with dead trailer batteries you could plug trailer umbilical cord into the truck (with truck running) and have enough power to use the jacks and pull in the slides.
I guess so, but that doesn't jibe with the comment above about how cables will get hot. Hot comes from a lot of amps. Umbilicals don't carry a lot of amps.

All I can tell you is that I've needed to do it with my trailer, and it works for me.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

pyoung47
Explorer
Explorer
I’ve never done it, but I carry two sets of cables for that eventuality.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've checked the amp draw on my Momentum when running the slides in/out, and it pulls 65 amps. Yeah, I think those jumper cables will get pretty warm. 🙂 If those trailer batteries are way down, you will be pulling some pretty high amps.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"