cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Champion generator

joegray
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a 2000 watt generator in 2016 to use in trailer and cabin. Well now the unit will not start with a no spark issue. I live in Canada so I phoned the number in the manual to get tech support and order parts,after 2 days of being on hold I gave up. Tried to order a new coil and parts on line at their web site, to order you have to log in. Tried that but the only two places they offer was U.S. and Puerto Rico. Phoned some local gen service people and all of them said Champion was the worst company to deal with,the dreaded one to come in for warranty. Makes me wonder if this is a disposable generator. Beware if you buy one of this companies units. Wish Iโ€™d bought a Honda or Yamaha. Sorry for the long rant but Iโ€™m really Pโ€”โ€”s. off.
30 REPLIES 30

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Been some decent reviews on the Predator generators from Harbor Freight .

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
ACZL wrote:
Cummins/Onan has now entered the small genny arena.

Anyone can do the same, just import the cheap junk from China and slap your stickers on it.

I have no idea if they are rebadged genny's or not. Didn't even know they were making/marketing them till I read the article in TL on them.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have a 10 year old Champion 3500 Watt that I use for boon docking, or storm backup, and still works great.

cpaulsen
Explorer
Explorer
My 2KChampion has worked perfect for the last 2 years....starts everytime on the first pull and runs quiet. Bought mine on sale for 300 bucks and never looked back. This has worked great for and have never looked back.
cpaulsen

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
ACZL wrote:

Anyone can do the same, just import the cheap junk from China and slap your stickers on it.

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Most common problem with no spark is either the ON/OFF switch is grounding out or the low oil sensor is grounding out. Disconnect both.

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a dual fuel from Champion also. Works great, but I have only ran it on Propane. 3rd season now, no issues. I don't use it that much, but had 3 days where I had to use AC this last month so ran it pretty hard those days.

But, to the topic - I have a great service repair place near me. After I bought the Champion, was in there with a lawn trimmer. Asked them about Champion, said they won't touch them. Didn't have an answer as to where I could take it, but also haven't had issues so haven't tried.

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I ordered a dual-fuel Champion from Costco. Used it on one trip and retirned it. First the charge port broke. I only ran it on propane for about two hours on the trip. I came home. Poured gas in.....The electric start no longer worked. Yes, the battery was fully charged (12.7v). Nothing. It wouldn't start. So, I tried pull starting it on propane. Nothing. An hour of frustration. I have a 16 year old Honda ie2000u. Starts on the first or second pull EVERY time. I took the Champion back and bought Honda eu3000i. I sold my 2000 yesterday to first person to call me. No squabbles about the price. They knew what they were getting....

shum02
Explorer
Explorer
Champion Power Equipment has their Cdn headquarters in Burlington Ontario.

I've emailed CS about a problem with my power washer and they set me up with a repair facility in Hamilton, sent parts from California for them to install under warranty. No issues with them at all.

Been very pleased with both a generator and powerwasher. Both over ten years old.

Maybe try emailing CS.
2006 F350 Lariat FX4 CC 4x4 PSD
2007 KZ2505QSS-F Outdoorsman

NJRVer
Explorer
Explorer
I have a bigger 9700 watt Champion and except for the fact it's noisy, it has been great. Bought it right when SuperStorm Sandy hit.
Every year power goes out at least for 4 or 5 days and it starts first time.

Allworth
Explorer
Explorer
I found Champion parts on E-Bay.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

RockyMt
Explorer
Explorer
I never had a problem getting work/parts for Honda Generators.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Not many places want to deal with small generators and at the prices involved, it doesn't take much before it's not worth repairing.

This includes the Honda & Yamaha generators.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure your experience with a Champion generator and the comments of โ€œsome local gen service peopleโ€ warrants โ€œBeware if you buy one of this companies units.โ€

Iโ€™ve had good experiences with this companyโ€™s equipment and people.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad