cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changed the rear springs

Road_Phantom
Explorer
Explorer
(My 2018 diesel Ram 4x4 2500 has coil springs front and back. I'm overloaded on my 5th wheel (2000lb hitch weight) and total GVWR by 800 lbs after everything is loaded up for travel.
My local spring guy claims a heavier duty coil spring upgrade would solve the overload problem, since everything else on the 2500 is heavy duty. I would like to know if anyone else did the same to their similar truck and recommend it. Thanks.)

That was my last post. Today, I got my truck back from the local spring shop with new heavier duty rear springs. They ride great, if not better than the worn in originals. The next thing is to test the load from the fiver, but have to wait for some snow and ice to melt in the storage lot. Hopefully, the lights in the faces of oncoming traffic will be fixed. If not, then I'll have to install a pair of airbags.
21 REPLIES 21

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
StirCrazy wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
" If not, then I'll have to install a pair of airbags."

IMHO bags should have been the first choice.

bags are a bandaid, springs are probably the best choice but also the most expensive. having had bags before I would buy timberans before I waisted money on bags again.

Steve

Not really. Two whimpy full length springs to hold things together and then the air bags do all the work. 9,750# on the rear tires. Nice ride loaded or not.

YES this ia Factory Rear Air Ride but the same applies with standard springs.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

StirCrazy
Navigator
Navigator
Cummins12V98 wrote:

bags are a bandaid, springs are probably the best choice but also the most expensive. having had bags before I would buy timberans before I waisted money on bags again.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

I replaced my broken air bags with Timbrins. The air bag cradle broke the welds to the frame.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Agree...if you needed anything at all, bags should have been first consideration.

Jerry

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Road Phantom wrote:
(My 2018 diesel Ram 4x4 2500 has coil springs front and back. I'm overloaded on my 5th wheel (2000lb hitch weight) and total GVWR by 800 lbs after everything is loaded up for travel.
My local spring guy claims a heavier duty coil spring upgrade would solve the overload problem, since everything else on the 2500 is heavy duty. I would like to know if anyone else did the same to their similar truck and recommend it. Thanks.)

That was my last post. Today, I got my truck back from the local spring shop with new heavier duty rear springs. They ride great, if not better than the worn in originals. The next thing is to test the load from the fiver, but have to wait for some snow and ice to melt in the storage lot. Hopefully, the lights in the faces of oncoming traffic will be fixed. If not, then I'll have to install a pair of airbags.

Well you are still overloaded, by GVWR, and wondering just how close you are to tire and axle ratings. Don’t know what 5er you have but if you are at 10,800# GVWR unless you carry a ton of stuff in the bed your pin is closer to 2,500#. Otherwise math says your truck less pin weighs 8,800#,’which is 200# more than my 2016 Ram 3500 DRW base weight.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Thanks for the update.

How deep did you have to dig into your pockets?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.