cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Considering going from a TT to FW

kep5niner
Explorer
Explorer
I currently have a 2014 Spree Connect C290IKS. Nice enough trailer, but looking toward the future (more immediate than I anticipated), and we're looking to go to a 2014 Wildcat (FR) 327CK.

Looking to off-load a 2014 TT (purchased June 2014), I can expect a loss to an extent. In speaking with a few dealers already, they offer in the neighborhood of 50% off MSRP for trade. Now I paid about 30% less than MSRP, but I am not willing to accept a 20% loss for 6 months of use (5 trips, ~1,000 miles), so a trade option may be off the table.

What would be the best way to mitigate the loss? Sell the TT privately, then find the FW? Is there anything I'm missing, or the situation is what it is?
2016 Salem Hemisphere 368 RLBH / 2014 F250 Platinum 6.7 Powerstroke / 2011 Bayliner 315 / T/5.0 MPI
24 REPLIES 24

Dakota98
Explorer
Explorer
wclement1248 wrote:
Dakota98, I missed the post where he asked if his truck would pull it. My 2014 F250 crew cab has a sticker that says the cargo weight is 2762. I assume his is about the same, so he should be ok.

Hopefully so,

Just seems to me that a 38' FW is lot for a F250. The power is there without problem.
I'm an expert in only one field....I believe it's somewhere in Kansas.

2000 / 22' SKYLINE NOMAD LITE
1998 DODGE DAKOTA / 5.2L= 8mpg.
2006 POLARIS ATV
1500/1200 Watt Champion generator
Yada Wireless Back Up Camera
1998 Dyna Wide Glide
USMC 68-74

wclement1248
Explorer
Explorer
Dakota98, I missed the post where he asked if his truck would pull it. My 2014 F250 crew cab has a sticker that says the cargo weight is 2762. I assume his is about the same, so he should be ok.

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Not a good idea. Not only will you lose big on depreciation in spite of the 30% off you saved at initial purchase you are not likely to get 30% off the new one when trading. You will take it in the shorts both ways.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
MSRP around $31,000.
30% off $21,700
50% off $15,500
Payoff $6200

Is it worth giving up $6200 for a new 5er. If the answer is yes then go for it.
You may be payload challenged with the Platinum F250 6.7. I read a test report a year ago on an F250 King Ranch 4x4 6.7 CC SB. It only had 1972lbs of payload. Tires very well could be the culprit. If your a RAWR guy then all bets are off.

guidry
Explorer
Explorer
If I was looking to buy a 6 month used TT, I'd be wondering what's wrong with it and it would have to be $worth if to buy it vs brand new one with a warranty. I'm sure nothing is wrong with yours but you will take a loss and it depends how long and how aggressive you will need to be to sell it privately. I've done very well selling both a boat and my old TT on Craigslist by posting lots of pictures and showing them very clean and well maintained. The photos brought the potential buyers to me, the obvious maintenance, cleanliness and price is what sold them. You can take less loss by selling it yourself of or a bigger loss by trading it in. Either way, expect a loss and enjoy your new rig. Good luck

mpfireman
Explorer
Explorer
If you are a buyer, this time of year is a good time to shop. But if you are a seller, not the right time, to cold, VERY few people camp in the winter months up in the snow belt states. You should wait until early spring for your best price.
But check weight and other factors prior to buying again.
1998.5 Dodge Ram Quad Cab Cummins
1998 Sunnybrook 27RKFS Fiver

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Dakota98 wrote:
Dry hitch weight @ 1815 lbs. Is your F250 up to it ?

And then there is that to consider...good thought.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

Dakota98
Explorer
Explorer
Dry hitch weight @ 1815 lbs. Is your F250 up to it ?
I'm an expert in only one field....I believe it's somewhere in Kansas.

2000 / 22' SKYLINE NOMAD LITE
1998 DODGE DAKOTA / 5.2L= 8mpg.
2006 POLARIS ATV
1500/1200 Watt Champion generator
Yada Wireless Back Up Camera
1998 Dyna Wide Glide
USMC 68-74

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
If bottom line you are only going to eat 20% to depreciation...you are doing great.

Once you drive it off the lot, even before you get home, you are going to lose that much.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
It pretty well is what it is- you're going to take a bath on a 6-month old new unit.

You'll always make more money selling it outright than trying to trade it. But, that money comes at the cost of convenience. What's more important to you?
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page