cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Convection Microwave - Reliable Brands / Models?

turtlebd
Explorer
Explorer
Hi there,
I am new to RV.Net and am looking for some advice. My husband and I purchased a used 2006 Puma fifth wheel and used it last summer. We discovered that the microwave had some faulty buttons and on one of our trips the glass turntable shattered going over some terrible roads.

I am thinking instead of replacing it with just another microwave, that I would like to get a convection microwave instead. I do use our RV oven a few times on each trip, but hate having to get down on my knees on the floor and fiddle with a lighter and the oven buttons to get the thing lit! I would also love to have the extra oven capability in case I wanted to make 2 things at different temps, or make a larger quantity.

I have been trying to research and read reviews, but wondered what others thought of their brands/models and if they would recommend them.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!
4 REPLIES 4

jnharley
Explorer
Explorer
We have the Dometic brand that came with our 5th wheel and we are on our 3rd one all under warranty. The first and third one cook so off temp that it is about 100 degrees below the set temp. The second one just stopped in mid cycle. Dometic does not repair them, only replaces them. It is now out of warranty so we are going to replace it with a GE Advantium soon. For me, I have to consider the location of our current outside vent and the upward swing of my glass top stove cover. We remove the glass turntable and lay it on the bed. I used to put down a piece of non skid shelf liner and turn the turntable over. It was fine there until our trip to Alaska last summer. It came out, landing on the floor. It did not break , just a chip which is amazing. I would not recommend the Dometic brand. I think you can set up the Advantium to vent inside much like it would do in an apartment or condo,
2015 Dodge Dually
2012 NuWa Discover America 355CK

sdetweil
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Frigidaire, but the GE Advantum gets good marks see this discussion
2012 Ford F350 DRW, 6.7 diesel.
2013 Keystone Alpine 3720FB

Ed_Gee
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Sharp model R-1875-T is installed in an awful lot of motor homes. We sure like ours.
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
if the potential mounting location is up high, convection/MWs put out a lot of heat so venting is essential.
bumpy