Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Convert ST tires to LT tires

Red_wing
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everyone

How do you convert ST tires size to LT tires size? For example 235/80R/16 load range E to a light truck tire size.
23 REPLIES 23

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
Red wing wrote:
Hi everyone

How do you convert ST tires size to LT tires size? For example 235/80R/16 load range E to a light truck tire size.

Google is your friend..:C

Enter: "tire size conversion" (etc) -
several sites avail to enter size of tire you have -vs- tire size you are considering.

Results are in inches.

Handy for your example, as there are few (if any) LT tires available in 235/80.

You will have to go to 235/85 - check the diameter of the new tire size for clearance (between tires) via the conversion site.

Remember an inch larger in diameter results in loss of 1/2 inch per side - one inch total between the tires.
(235/85 is an increase of 1" in diameter over 235/80)

If it's inadequate - go to a different size, ex: 245/75
(which will be the same diameter, but 1" wider).

Be sure to check the wheel pressure rating - usually stamped on the back side of the wheel.

~

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
B.O. Plenty wrote:
My old Tow Masters were like bicycle tires compared to the Michelin Ribs I now have. You could grab one of the Tow Masters and wrinkle it up with one hand. In addition the Michelins weigh about 20 pounds more.B.O.

I found the same thing when I replaced my no name China bomb ST tires. They were very light and the sidewalls felt thin and flimsy. However, I too had heard that ST's were stiffer walled but in practice I find that completely false.

The only 2 ST tires I've had good luck with and no blowouts have been Maxxis and Hercules. That latter is one of the few ST's made in USA. All others I've tried, Greenball, Tow Master, Carlisle, Master Track have all blown out with low mileage and all had very thin weak sidewalls.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
The 245 is LT245/75R16! Chris

I typed that before my morning coffee! Corrected!

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
mileshuff wrote:
There are online sources that will tell you your tire dimensions. For ST235/80R16's you have 2 LT choices unless you can/want to go to a much larger or smaller size or change rim sizes.

The LT245/80R16's are very close to the same height and about .25" or less wider. The LT235/85R16's are about 1" taller and about the same width.

I went with the LT245/80R16 Michelin XPS Rib. My existing tires are on 6.5" rims. The Ribs manufacture width lists them at .25" wider but thats using 7" rims. When mounted on my 6.5" rims the width is just barely wider than the ST's. A very close match.

ST tires generally have a higher load rating than LT's but its difficult to compare. ST tires show the absolute max rating not to exceed. The LT tires typically are underrated by 20% to allow a safety margin.

The 245 is LT245/75R16! Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
waltbennett wrote:
The numbers and ratings are the same. Only change is the letters. Truck tires have more flexible side walls as they may be on steerable wheels, trailer tires have stiffer sidewalls as they won't be steering.
If you compare them side by side (I have) you will find you have that backwards. My old Tow Masters were like bicycle tires compared to the Michelin Ribs I now have. You could grab one of the Tow Masters and wrinkle it up with one hand. In addition the Michelins weigh about 20 pounds more...The weight ratings are less with an LT tire over an ST tire but don't let that stop you. I replaced a 235/80/16 load range E ST tire with a 235/85/16 load range E LT tire. Mine have been trouble free for thousands of miles.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

waltbennett
Explorer
Explorer
The numbers and ratings are the same. Only change is the letters. Truck tires have more flexible side walls as they may be on steerable wheels, trailer tires have stiffer sidewalls as they won't be steering.
'06 F350 TD, Softopper, airbags, AeroShield, coolant filter
'10 3665RE Hickory edition, wetbolts, Firestone LTs, Trimetric Battery Monitor, 4x100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking.

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
There are online sources that will tell you your tire dimensions. For ST235/80R16's you have 2 LT choices unless you can/want to go to a much larger or smaller size or change rim sizes.

The LT245/75R16's are very close to the same height and about .25" or less wider. The LT235/85R16's are about 1" taller and about the same width.

I went with the LT245/75R16 Michelin XPS Rib. My existing tires are on 6.5" rims. The Ribs manufacture width lists them at .25" wider but thats using 7" rims. When mounted on my 6.5" rims the width is just barely wider than the ST's. A very close match.

ST tires generally have a higher load rating than LT's but its difficult to compare. ST tires show the absolute max rating not to exceed. The LT tires typically are underrated by 20% to allow a safety margin.

sdetweil
Explorer
Explorer
Red wing wrote:
Hi everyone

sorry, what do you mean 'convert'.

Sailun's S637 LT is 235/85/16 (LR G)
Goodyear's 614 RST is 235/85/16 (LR G)

if you mean 17.5.. its 215/75/17.5 (LR H)
2012 Ford F350 DRW, 6.7 diesel.
2013 Keystone Alpine 3720FB

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
I'd do that by going to a couple different tire stores and discussing the matter with the tire guys. They have reference charts that give data such as rolling diameter, weight limits, etc. that you will be hard-pressed to find otherwise. Those details are more important than any mere size designation. What's more, you need to understand that tire sizes are not quite as standard as say wrench sizes. Sometimes changing tire brand requires a different size to get a better match.