cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Converter Fried

Elkhunter
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, so my Cedar Creek converter died last fall during the last trip out and I am getting ready to replace the lower unit in the converter. Upon taking it apart to inspect, the circuit board was fried and has moved on to another life. So here's my question......I have found a replacement lower unit for it.....it is a Parallax 7355, so one option to replaced is the 7355R which is the lower unit only. That would be replacing with the exact same lower unit it has in it. From what I can find, another option would be the Progressive Dynamics PD4655. Pricing is not the issue as they are both comparably priced. My question is, which is a better unit? We use our fifth wheel most every weekend all summer long, so it stays plugged in to keep the battery up and the refrigerator cold. Most of our camping is dry with no electrical other than my genset. Any recommendations?
Bill, Lisa, Ethan, Graycen and Whitney

2010 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie Mega Cab Cummins Turbo Diesel (Loaded to the hilt)
2002 Cedar Creek 36RLTS Custom
19 REPLIES 19

Atom_Ant
Explorer
Explorer
Elkhunter wrote:
I took it up for a week of archery hunting last year and we ended up with MICE everywhere. I ended up removing 11 of the little monsters before the week was out.

Don't want to drift off topic too far, but did you try those plug in sonic things for the mice? If you had them and still got mice, that blows my hope these actually work.
2008 Ford F350 2014 Redwood 36RL - Our Rig
Onan 5500, Splendide Ariston W/D, 8K axles, disk brakes, G614s, tri-glide pin box,
6-pt leveling, dual heat pump, dual awnings, Trav'ler SK-1000 Dish

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Another vote for the PD9260. I removed a perfectly healthy 7355 for one and it has proven to be a great choice.
FWIW, the 9260 fits perfectly inside the lower compartment of the 7355.

Elkhunter
Explorer
Explorer
Not positive what caused the converter to die, but it has had a rough life. It spent most of its life plugged in 24/7/365 and did that until I bought the unit in 2011. Again it stays plugged in with me all summer. I took it up for a week of archery hunting last year and we ended up with MICE everywhere. I ended up removing 11 of the little monsters before the week was out. It kind of looked like maybe a mouse had peed on the circuit board but I never could figure out how it would have gotten into the box as that thing is sealed up pretty tight. Don't know for sure.
Bill, Lisa, Ethan, Graycen and Whitney

2010 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie Mega Cab Cummins Turbo Diesel (Loaded to the hilt)
2002 Cedar Creek 36RLTS Custom

Atom_Ant
Explorer
Explorer
I haven't heard great things about the Progressive Dynamics either, which is what I have, so not sure you are gaining very much. I would probably take the easy route and replace like for like. These don't go out very often.
2008 Ford F350 2014 Redwood 36RL - Our Rig
Onan 5500, Splendide Ariston W/D, 8K axles, disk brakes, G614s, tri-glide pin box,
6-pt leveling, dual heat pump, dual awnings, Trav'ler SK-1000 Dish

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Progressive Dynamics for sure IMHO. Do you know what caused the problem? My Cedar Creek is still on the original converter with zero issues.