cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cord rubbing on tailgate

nano
Explorer
Explorer
Aside from mounting a receptacle in the box of the truck, how can you keep the cord from rubbing on the tailgate of the truck?
2013 Keystone Cougar 333MKS
42 REPLIES 42

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
you could google Bargman adapter cord and see how easy it would be to have that plug in the bed.

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
I have draped over the tail gate for the last 8 years without rubbing paint off or rubbing a flat spot on the cord. In fact it very seldom moves while going down road or on turns.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have the factory tail gate with back up camera. I drape the cord over the tailgate. I apply a strip of blue tape along the upper edge horizontally where the cord rubs. It works great. When I unhook I stick the tape to the bottom of the overhang of the RV.

Some day I may add the Mopar plug at the back side of the bed.

All a bit redneck but it works!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
You can get a tailgate protector, plastic or metal, for under $100. Personally, I got a 6' extension cord. Because it's so long, I run it up around the front of my Companion hitch and back over the tailgate. Works perfectly. Would I to do it again, I'd put an in-bed plug, though.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

CANAMKID
Explorer
Explorer
After a $350.00 trip the body shop for paint we also put in a bed plug
CanAmKid

rattleNsmoke
Explorer
Explorer
The paint damage to the tailgate was the catalyst for me to install an in-bed plug. They are cheap and an easy install.
2010 Cedar Creek 34SATS (The Beast) & 20k Curt Q20 roller slider hitch
2006 Ford F350 SRW,SC Powerstroke diesel Lariat

2003 Harley Heritage Softail (Hogzilla)
and a wifey with tons of patience....

River_Sand
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know of anything that you can put over the cord as anything will collect road grit and rub on the tail gate. The only choices is to hang so it clears the tail gate, install a plug in the bed or buy a 5th wheel tail gate. I tried the hanging thing once but couldn't get to stay completely off of the tail gate at all times.
River&Sand
05 Chev Ext.Cab K3500, Dmax/Alli, DRW, Reese Signature 18k, HappiJac, Jordan 2020
05 Lance 920 Truck Camper
06 Weekend Warrior LE3305, 5th Airborne, Dexter E-Z Flex ๐Ÿ˜„
01 HighJumper SandSprite 3 Dune Buggy :E

nano
Explorer
Explorer
We may eventually decide to run it in the box, but for now we'll try one (or more) of the above mentioned fixes.
2013 Keystone Cougar 333MKS

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
I've not seen any ill effects from running ours over the tail gate. We have the 5th wheel gate with a rounded top so maybe that has something to do with it.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
nano wrote:
Aside from mounting a receptacle in the box of the truck, how can you keep the cord from rubbing on the tailgate of the truck?

When I bought my 5ver back in 2001 that was part of the throw in package to entice me to make the purchase. Kind of a freeby. Never gave it a thought until I saw others haviing the cords hanging up on the tailgate and damaging the cords. However, on my Alpenlite the cord appeared too short to reach to the back.

MC9
Explorer
Explorer
With the tailgate part way open it should fit under the tailgate.

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
You could hang it from the trailer frame with a bungee cord.

HappyKayakers
Explorer
Explorer
Steal one of the kids pool noodles. Make a slice down the middle and put it on the cord. Use cable ties at each end of the pool noodle to keep it from sliding.
Joe, Mary and Dakota, the wacko cat
Fulltiming since 2006
2006 Dodge 3500 QC CTD SRW Jacobs Exhaust brake
2017 Open Range 3X388RKS, side porch