cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Curt q20

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
See an ad for a Curt Q20 and no rails. Guy said he sold camper and hitch was used one time. Opinions.

I have a Reese Slider and never use the slider. Will the Reese rails fit?
Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan
2013 Prime Time Crusader 330MKS
2018 Chevy 2500 D/A Z71 4x4 Offroad
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 33SKT-40,000 trouble free miles-retired
2006 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
2013 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
23 REPLIES 23

maniac007
Explorer
Explorer
Brand new Curt 16130 Q20 from Amazon is only $427.99. This one fits the standard rail.
02 F350SD 7.3 CC 4X4 DRW, 06 Cougar 314EFS Eastern Edition

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the comments. Seller wants $500. Only information he provided was a picture and that it was a Q20. I have asked for the series #. I have seen prices from around the $425.00 to near $1,000.
Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan

Greene728
Explorer
Explorer
Happy Prospector wrote:
I guess it would be too hard to call Reese to see if the Curt would fit or if the rails are even heavy enough to tow with the Curt. Good Grief!!

It's people like you that ruin what is normally a very useful and friendly website. Happy huh? That's debatable at best!
You do realize he also asked for opinions on the hitch don't you? Good grief x 10!

Op... Yes, the Curt will fit standard rails. And the Curt is a highly regarded hitch. Only complaints I have heard about them is they can be finicky to unhitch and are heavy!
2011 Crossroads Cruiser 29BHS ( Traded )
2017 Grand Design 303RLS ( Sold )
Currently camperless ( Just taking a break )
2016 Chevy Silverado 2500 4x4 6.0 and 4:10โ€™s
Me and the wife and our two daughters. Life's good!

Hiking_Hunter
Explorer
Explorer
stro1965 wrote:
I have a Q20 and it's a great hitch. It will mount to standard rails. Hitching and unhitching is a little bit different than what you're used to though. You don't set the trailer low and lift it up with the truck as you're backing in, you almost need a sliver of daylight between the hitch and the pin (I hope that makes sense).

I agree with this. My Q20 has been great for around 25K miles now with just routine cleaning and lubrication. And yes, I also think it will fit standard rails. With regards to what stro1965 said, I agree with him about the hitching. Here is a quote from several months ago about the Q20. I am quoting myself here...

"The Curt Q20 is a different kind of hitch and is not hitched up like other hitches. Some people who have had other brands of hitches have trouble with this. I did too, until I realized the reason.
Most fifth wheel hitch plates โ€œfall backโ€ at an angle to provide a โ€œrampโ€ for the trailer hitch plate to ride up on when hitching. This doesnโ€™t work very well for the Curt hitch because of the way it is made. The Curt hitch has a solid steel shank that is affixed to the hitch plate that extends down into a thick, rigid, rubber mount. This mount provides damping and prevents most โ€œchucking and buckingโ€ prevalent in many hitches. When the hitch is not coupled, the "resting" or "static" position of the hitch plate is parallel to the ground instead of tilting back like most hitches. The plate does have a slight bevel at the trailing edge of the hitch plate. When you are hitching to the Curt hitch, I have found it is best to elevate the trailer pin so that the hitch plate is almost at the same height as the truck hitch plate โ€“ within ยฝโ€. Most other hitches are a little more forgiving on the height because they will elevate the trailer 1-3 inches with the โ€œRampโ€"

If the hitch looks like it's in good shape and has a good price.... go for it.
Amateur Radio WA4GIY
2015 Montana High Country 305RL
2013 RAM 3500 4x4, crew cab, long bed, 6.7 CTD, Aisin trans.
CGVW 20460 Lbs.

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
stro1965 wrote:
I have a Q20 and it's a great hitch. It will mount to standard rails. Hitching and unhitching is a little bit different than what you're used to though. You don't set the trailer low and lift it up with the truck as you're backing in, you almost need a sliver of daylight between the hitch and the pin (I hope that makes sense).

Yes, it makes sense. I have the Reese Pro Series 15K with the slide bar like reppoc12 has.. Didn't know any better when I bought my first rig but it has served me well for over 40,000 miles but the bar is showing wear.. I always leave a slight gap between the hitch and pin when hooking up and unhooking.

Happy Prospecter-Didn't mean to ruin your day but did ask for opinions about the hitch.
Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan

stro1965
Explorer
Explorer
2018 Ram DRW 3500 6.7
2019 Keystone Alpine 3021

reppoc12
Explorer
Explorer
We also have a q24, it will fit in standard rails. On a previous vehicle, we went from an inexpensive Pro Series 15K to the q24 using the same rails.

dhboise
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Q24. Great hitch. No issues except it is really heavy. Rails are pretty standard these days. I'm pretty sure they will fit.

Happy_Prospecto
Explorer
Explorer
I guess it would be too hard to call Reese to see if the Curt would fit or if the rails are even heavy enough to tow with the Curt. Good Grief!!
Kevin
Retired, Fulltime RV'er, 1999.5 F350 4X4 CC Diesel Flatbed
2007 Alpenlite Defender Toyhauler, 2019 Polaris Ranger
Bob, the Yorkie Terrier helping me prospect til the money runs out