cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Digital Thermostat Questions

Poppy_s_5th_Whe
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone changed out their OEM digital thermostat?

My unit has an Atwood A/C and furnace and are controlled by an Atwood controller but it will only allow a low setting of 60 degrees. I would like to be able to set it as low as 45 or 50.

I contacted Atwood and they said they make them that way on purpose and there was no work around. They also said I wouldn't be able to use another brand thermostat but I think that may have been "the party line" which I understand.

This isn't rocket science right? It's just a matter of sending a signal, right? You can change out home thermostats no matter what brand furnace or A/C unit you may have so why not in an RV?

I am looking for your thoughts and or experience in doing this.

Thanks
Paul "Poppy" Cervone
2016 GMC Summit White Denali 3500HD SRW CC/SB
2015 Grand Design Reflection 337 RLS
6 REPLIES 6

Tachdriver
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced mine with a Honeywell digital system. What is nice is that you can set a temperature and leave it. When I leave the trailer to go hiking or beach I set the temperature higher, when I go to bed I have a favorite setting.

The older OEM slide seemed that I could never go to bed and have the temp where I wanted it.

If you change it out, be sure you take a photo of the older installation of the wiring incase you have to reinstall the old one. I have a Dometic.

Fabguy
Explorer
Explorer
This is what I did on our old trailer. Even used the same thermostat.

Hunter Thermostat install.
Jeff

2002 GMC Sierra 2500HD 8.1/Allison/4:10/Prodigy brake controler/Pullrite Superglide
Pulling a 2015 Keystone Cougar 280RLS

Ark235B
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.makariosrv.com/coleman-digital-wall-thermostat-8330-3362/

It will set anywhere you want it.
Justin Holder
2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab SWB "600" Cummins
2010 Coachmen Chaparral Lite 270RKS Fifth Wheel
PPSEL

Poppy_s_5th_Whe
Explorer
Explorer
Mandalay Parr wrote:
My RV system is quite different than my home system. Thermostats are Niot interchangeable.
My thermo feeds a circuit board that controls both the heat and AC. Much different than home.

Yeah, that was basically what Atwood said.

Thanks
Paul "Poppy" Cervone
2016 GMC Summit White Denali 3500HD SRW CC/SB
2015 Grand Design Reflection 337 RLS

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
My RV system is quite different than my home system. Thermostats are Niot interchangeable.
My thermo feeds a circuit board that controls both the heat and AC. Much different than home.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
One post of many on digital thermostats.

Search 'thermostat' in topic subject.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman