cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Disc Breaks

rmoparman
Explorer
Explorer
I was kicking around installing disc breaks on my Fox. Have a heavy 35Z Arctic Fox. The price is step but everyone that has them love them.

3K for install is step, but safety is everthing.

Please give me some pros and cons.

Thanks Ron
22 REPLIES 22

Splashers3
Explorer
Explorer
I'm getting mine installed next week - and my trailer is only 3 months old!

I've not seen anybody say that they are disappointed with disc brakes and wished they had not converted...most with, say they won't have another trailer without them.

They are expensive....your call OP.

Mike
2017 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali, C/C, D/A, DRW, w/40gal Aux tank, 18K B&W Patriot.
2019 Cedar Creek Hathaway, 34RL2 - w/Bells & Whistles and disc brakes
Traded 2009 Cedar Creek Silverback, GII, 32 WRL

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
DO you have trailer braking issues?

Does that FOX have Dexter Nev-R Adjust Brakes....that self adjust when moving forward and braking?

Disc Brakes do provide better braking power BUT drum brakes will stop effectively when properly adjusted.

DO you FT and therefore the disc brake upgrade/cost is truly beneficial OR just camp seasonally and WANT disc brakes?

We FTd 7 yrs...towing 14K 5vr (scaled weight) with drum brakes and NEVER had a situation where I felt the braking was lacking...slow stop, quick stops and few emergency full on hard braking.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
I broke my breaks two.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
"steep"
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

pcm1959
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of threads on here and other sites about disc. I would never been without them. Have them now and on past rig.
Stopping is ALWAYS predictable - stop after stop.
Get them. You will love them.
2018 GMC Sierra 3500 DRW 4x4 Duramax/Allison
2014 Lifestyle LS36FW
St Augustine, FL

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
My trailer max's at 19,000 lbs and the drum brakes work fine for me. No desire for disc.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thats over a grand for labor. If your handy you can do it yourself over a weekend with simple hand tools. You may have to buy or rent a tube bender and a double flare tool, but otherwise its fairly simple.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
"Brakes"