cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

disk brake conversion

lem55
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone converted over to disk brakes? Do they sell complete kits and can regular person do this? I also have read about going with oil to lube the wheel bearings instead of grease any pros or cons?
21 REPLIES 21

is_it_friday_ye
Explorer
Explorer
ORbiker wrote:
is it friday yet? wrote:
I have the clear dust covers over my wheel bearings but have them greased with a zerk fitting instead of the oil bath.

Was installing the Zerk fitting a special adaptation?

Could you go into a little more detail?

Thanks, KEN

I believe I used the one that was already on my spindle. I'll double check though. My trailer was brand new when I did the brake conversion.
2007 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins SRW, Airlift airbags, Bilstein shocks, Smarty Jr., stainless turbo back exhaust, B&W Patriot 18K

2015 Grand Design Momentum 328M, disc brakes, Progressive Industries 50 amp EMS

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
I camp in the winter and my truck and RV set idle for 9+ months, no problem. When I was trucking, I bought used trucks and trailers that sat in Iowa fields for years and didn't have problems. Guess what lubricates the transmissions, axle and diff bearings in all trucks, cars and most equipment... oil! We'd have a world wide epidemic of bearing failures if oil didn't work. Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

ORbiker
Explorer
Explorer
is it friday yet? wrote:
I have the clear dust covers over my wheel bearings but have them greased with a zerk fitting instead of the oil bath.

Was installing the Zerk fitting a special adaptation?

Could you go into a little more detail?

Thanks, KEN
Backpacker and tent camper all my life. Motorcycle trips with a tent too 1978 to Present. 2016 Grand Design 380TH as of 10-29-2015. Now a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude as of 3-16-19. 10-19-18-traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Crew Cab 4x4 Long Box.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Did those oiled bearings sit for 6-8 months at a time?
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
I grew up with trucks and had my own business and I never heard of rust problems with oiled bearings. I doubt if oil would be so popular if they had problems like that. It was because of my good experience with oil on my semis that I went with oil on my 5er and the Kodiaks. As far as the question about adding the magnets vs. more electronic gadgets to make the IBC work, I'd rather have the magnets... Cheap and simple. Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
Thanks for the invitation, Banjo. You really are CENTRAL Texas. We come down that way on the way to the Texas Hill country usually in April. Maybe we can plan it so as to find the Pearl Community Center.

And I have to be honest about it; I had never heard of Pearl or the Bluegrass programs before.

I'm still working on the brake controller/actuator and hope to have everything working within a week.

banjo
Explorer
Explorer
Padre, i have seen both "adapters" on a Hydrostar Actuator.

If you are wandering around Central Texas with nothing to do come see us. Show is free. RV spots are $15.00 The first Saturday every month.

http://www.pearlbluegrass.com
Banjo
2011 3500 DRW D/A CC LB 4X4
2011 Cameo 34SB3

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Helped my Dad do the Kodiak conversion on his HH Premier. It was a fairly easy job. He really loves the disks!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
Hi Banjo, I see you are my neighbor. I had this work done in Weatherford and came back (without brakes) through Cleburne, Ennis, and on to Canton. I lived in Palestine and served a district that went as far west as Teague and Fairfield.

Since I have the HydraStar 1600 actuator, I think the HBA-CAM must be comparable with the Titan you mention.

Here is a web page of the use of the CAM with the HydraStar:

HBA-CAM adapter

Let me know what you think. BTW, I did get an answer from a fellow HitchHiker owner on the NuWa forum who is using the HBA-CAM for the same reasons I need an adapter.

banjo
Explorer
Explorer
padredw,

The "Titan Adapter" in my post is what you need.
Call Bill Halasyn
(813) 363-4685
Banjo
2011 3500 DRW D/A CC LB 4X4
2011 Cameo 34SB3

JTrac
Explorer
Explorer
padredw wrote:
I am still hoping for a direct response to my plea:

Here is my urgent request: Is there anyone who has actually used the HBA-CAM adapter in a GM truck? That would be my choice if I knew that it would work as advertised.

Thanks ๐Ÿ™‚

I had the same issue when we bought our Excel in 2012. I had a 2012 GMC 3500 at the time and the integrated controller would not work with the trainer's disc brakes. The Excel dealer installed the magnets and it worked like it was supposed to do. Not a problem in the 3 years we had that truck. The 2015 GMC'S corrected that issue but I left the magnets in place and it still works just fine. I have no experience or knowledge of the adapter so can't help you there.
JimT
2020 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, 2020 Ford F350, Platinum, 6.7 diesel, 4X4, CCLB, SRW, 12,400 GVWR

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
I am still hoping for a direct response to my plea:

Here is my urgent request: Is there anyone who has actually used the HBA-CAM adapter in a GM truck? That would be my choice if I knew that it would work as advertised.

Thanks ๐Ÿ™‚

is_it_friday_ye
Explorer
Explorer
I also bought from Stop Your Trailer. It was right around $1500 for my trailer also. I had a friend help me and it took us a few hours to install. The part that took the longest was running the brake lines and wiring to the pump. I do have an exhaust brake and that is not a replacement for going to disc brakes. I did have to buy a new brake controller that was compatible with hydraulic brakes. I have the clear dust covers over my wheel bearings but have them greased with a zerk fitting instead of the oil bath.
2007 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins SRW, Airlift airbags, Bilstein shocks, Smarty Jr., stainless turbo back exhaust, B&W Patriot 18K

2015 Grand Design Momentum 328M, disc brakes, Progressive Industries 50 amp EMS

rjsurfer
Explorer
Explorer
Best thing I have done for my camper, no more squealing, grabbing and constant adjustment of the brake controller.

We just came back from another cross country trip this time with disc brakes and even my wife noticed the difference. Those 8-9% downhill sections went by uneventfully.

Yes many people on this forum will come back and say get an exhaust brake instead. Sure an exhaust brake would be of equal help but there is more to braking than just slowing down on steep stretches. Exhaust brakes don't eliminate that jerkiness and occasional locking up that traditional drum brakes can exhibit when overheated or wet.

Ron W.
03 Dodge 2500 SRW,SB,EC
2018 Keystone 25RES
DRZ-400SM
DL-650