cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Do They Make 5th Wheels Like This Anymore??

AdvancedQs
Explorer
Explorer
Do they make new 5th wheels with a small area over the pivot point anymore?

Like this? Where there is just a bed there sort of like a truck camper but bigger?

Are there new models out that are smaller like that?

28 REPLIES 28

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
AdvancedQs wrote:
time2roll wrote:
Have you looked at any Class C converted to 4WD? Or does the camper need to be removable?

Yes, thatโ€™s the idea. The camper should be removable so I can replace either of the components when one or the other breaks or ages out.

Essentially, a bigger truck camper using a commercial truck.

A class c doesnโ€™t look great to me and itโ€™s not too handy that the power/drive base is permanently attached to the RV part and typically is a gasoline powered van body.

Iโ€™m trying to use a diesel truck.

A company I worked for in the past had traveling demo units. We had a couple class A RV's that were converted, but we also did a Renegade. Freightliner front end Super C RV. However we purchased it completely empty, Then retrofitted the inside for our needs. When they were done with it, they sold it dirt cheap to an employee who turned it into an RV. My point, maybe you can find a diesel Super C you can buy as a shell then create what you want. I think a new Super C drive train and engine will outlast the RV part.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Have you looked at these?
Scamp

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Worth a call to somebody like https://spacecraftmfg.com/

Maybe they have some plans that are easily adapted to what you need.

AdvancedQs
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
Have you looked at any Class C converted to 4WD? Or does the camper need to be removable?

Yes, thatโ€™s the idea. The camper should be removable so I can replace either of the components when one or the other breaks or ages out.

Essentially, a bigger truck camper using a commercial truck.

A class c doesnโ€™t look great to me and itโ€™s not too handy that the power/drive base is permanently attached to the RV part and typically is a gasoline powered van body.

Iโ€™m trying to use a diesel truck.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
AdvancedQs wrote:
Nobody is really getting it.

Itโ€™s a truck camper for a huge commercial truck Iโ€™m trying to do.

A new truck (not this thing) and a pre-built new truck camper.

Like this. But brand new.

See why I was asking for 5th wheels with a truck camper style bed as a cab over instead of the huge room that usually lives above the pin?

It was so it could slide up over the cab and make a 20-25ft box a heck of a lot bigger since the bed wouldnโ€™t take up all the space in it.

Does this exist off the shelf Igor is custom the only way?

You want an overlander camper...

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

AdvancedQs
Explorer
Explorer
Nobody is really getting it.

Itโ€™s a truck camper for a huge commercial truck Iโ€™m trying to do.

A new truck (not this thing) and a pre-built new truck camper.

Like this. But brand new.

See why I was asking for 5th wheels with a truck camper style bed as a cab over instead of the huge room that usually lives above the pin?

It was so it could slide up over the cab and make a 20-25ft box a heck of a lot bigger since the bed wouldnโ€™t take up all the space in it.

Does this exist off the shelf Igor is custom the only way?

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
You just described an old Born Free truck camper. :B

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 โ€˜Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
Oversize TC. Now theres a neat concept, a 12-16 ' TC Add a tag axle, behind the overhang with air ride, its an engineering possibility. Wouldnt be much different than swivel wheel trailers behind 5ers do. If the tail wagging the dog effect could be overcome.

AdvancedQs
Explorer
Explorer
Thermoguy wrote:
How about something like a horse trailer - check Featherlite, Sundowner, or I think the ATC line of trailers have a lower front for the fifthwheel or gooseneck.

Yeah. I keep seeing those. Unfortunately, I have spent too much time building things. I canโ€™t build this. I donโ€™t have it in me.

I guess Iโ€™ll keep looking around, but I donโ€™t think they make what I need. Basically I want an oversize truck camper.

AdvancedQs
Explorer
Explorer
Yes. Thatโ€™s exactly what Iโ€™m trying to get across. Itโ€™s the way the thing fits underneath the bed. How the cab is under the bed. Thatโ€™s the difficult spot. Thatโ€™s why Iโ€™m looking for a narrow section up there on a fifth wheel.

JRscooby wrote:
AdvancedQs wrote:
The overall height isnโ€™t really the main concern. Iโ€™m finding plenty of different types of things that will fit on the truck.

The concern is how an over cab would work with the truck cab. Thatโ€™s what missing here in terms of of finding a 5th wheel to fit and most likely is what will determine overall height.

Itโ€™s the height above the cutout of the forward area I need to minimize most of all.

valhalla360 wrote:
I did a quick search and couldn't find any low profile 5th wheels. The shortest I could find was the Winnebago 2405BH. With an overall height of 11.5ft, 13.5 ft is typically the max legal height. That gives you 2ft plus the height of the suspension...so if your truck puts it less than 3.5ft off the ground, it should be viable.

PS: We've had both fiberglass and aluminum siding. Unless you spend a lot of time in hail areas, I prefer aluminum. The market has moved to fiberglass mostly because it looks pretty. There's certainly nothing dangerous about it.
- My Dad's 40yr old aluminum sided trailer was in perfectly good condition when it was sold. We had a 1997 that is in the same park we are in right now...siding is perfectly fine.
- Go wander an RV park and it's rare to find a 5yr or older fiberglass unit that doesn't has at least a small area of delamination.

Bet you will also have issues with the height of cab above the frame not fitting under the overhang. Another idea would be start with the bed off a U-haul, that has cab overhang. Add doors, windows and appliances, and BANG! you got your super C.

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
How about something like a horse trailer - check Featherlite, Sundowner, or I think the ATC line of trailers have a lower front for the fifthwheel or gooseneck.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
AdvancedQs wrote:
The overall height isnโ€™t really the main concern. Iโ€™m finding plenty of different types of things that will fit on the truck.

The concern is how an over cab would work with the truck cab. Thatโ€™s what missing here in terms of of finding a 5th wheel to fit and most likely is what will determine overall height.

Itโ€™s the height above the cutout of the forward area I need to minimize most of all.

valhalla360 wrote:
I did a quick search and couldn't find any low profile 5th wheels. The shortest I could find was the Winnebago 2405BH. With an overall height of 11.5ft, 13.5 ft is typically the max legal height. That gives you 2ft plus the height of the suspension...so if your truck puts it less than 3.5ft off the ground, it should be viable.

PS: We've had both fiberglass and aluminum siding. Unless you spend a lot of time in hail areas, I prefer aluminum. The market has moved to fiberglass mostly because it looks pretty. There's certainly nothing dangerous about it.
- My Dad's 40yr old aluminum sided trailer was in perfectly good condition when it was sold. We had a 1997 that is in the same park we are in right now...siding is perfectly fine.
- Go wander an RV park and it's rare to find a 5yr or older fiberglass unit that doesn't has at least a small area of delamination.

Bet you will also have issues with the height of cab above the frame not fitting under the overhang. Another idea would be start with the bed off a U-haul, that has cab overhang. Add doors, windows and appliances, and BANG! you got your super C.

AdvancedQs
Explorer
Explorer

valhalla360 wrote: