cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dodge Truck

darr
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2006 Dodge 2500 Truck we pull a 30 ft fifth wheel...we go over 60about 65 and there is a roaring noise that seems to be coming from the rear end of truck. Any ideas what this might be...
10 REPLIES 10

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
I had a roaring sound on my 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 at speeds between above 60. Rather loud. Slower than 60 and the sound went away.

I do not remember the exact part that caused the issue but it was some plastic part on the drive shaft assembly that had broken. As the shaft rotated it caused this broken part to lift away from the shaft and strike part of the under carriage and cause the sound.

Shop replaced the drive shaft and sound was gone.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

Imaroadrunnr
Explorer
Explorer
I had a roaring caused by tread separation on my Dodge dually. The tire caused the tire next to it to go flat. Naturally, I didn't have the key to the spare tire lock and had to take one of the good tires off of the left side and remove both bad tires and put the single tire on the right side and limp back to Vegas. Luckily, I only had an trailer with an ATV heading to Utah. Having the truck up on that screw jack on the side of I15 at rush hour was quite a thrill. Keys, don't leave home without them. General tires. I replaced them with Michelins.
Stan

wcjeep
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like the middle ujoint from the rear driveline. I finally was able to isolate the problem using an infrared heat gun. The bad ujoint was 10deg warmer than the others. While on the truck everything was solid. When the rest driveline was removed the problem was obvious.

darr
Explorer
Explorer
Is it louder when towing? Is the truck level when towing? Does thenoise decrease when you take your foot off of the accelerator?

YES WATERBUG TO ALL OF THE ABOVE

jlarocca95
Explorer
Explorer
My 2012 GMC started doing this and it turned out it was the tread separating on the rear tires. The wonderful Good(for a)Year OEM tires that came on it with 30K miles. Not saying that is your problem but worth looking into. Also made my stabilitrak error light come on to.

darr
Explorer
Explorer
No vibrations, truck is level and it only does it when we tow..it does not make the noise if we do not have the fifth wheel towing...

Water-Bug
Explorer
Explorer
Is it louder when towing? Is the truck level when towing? Does thenoise decrease when you take your foot off of the accelerator?

jus2shy
Explorer
Explorer
Could be wheel bearings or the differential. Easy way to see if it's wheel bearings is to jack up a tire, take a mechanic's stethascope and spin the tire. Put the stethascope on the metal as close to the tire/brakes as you can from the inside. If you hear grinding/crunching, your bearings are due for replacement. My wife's Subaru did the same exact thing and it was her bearings.
E'Aho L'ua
2013 RAM 3500 Crew Cab 4x4 SRW |Cummins @ 370/800| 68RFE| 3.42 gears
Currently Rig-less (still shopping and biding my time)

kennethwooster
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe rear end is going out. How many miles? Maybe aggressive tires. Some tires will really make a roar.
kenneth wooster- retired farmer. Biblical History Teacher in public HS, and substitute teacher.
wife Diana-adult probation officer, now retired.
31KSLS Full Body paint Cameo
Ford F350 2014 DRW 4X4 King Ranch.
20K B&W Puck mount hitch

Gemstone
Explorer
Explorer
Any vibrations ? Could it be u-joints ?

Regards
Gemstone
'06 Elite Suites TK3, '95 KW T-600, '08 Softail Classic , '06 Softail Deuce