cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Does this sound right?

blue_trawler
Explorer
Explorer
I had a new motor put in for my landing jacks on my 5er. Before I had a 30 amp fuse. They said they put in a larger motor and now requires a 40 amp fuse? I am confused?

Thanks

bruce
11 REPLIES 11

Memphisdoug
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
The legs I've seen use a screw system to raise and lower the legs. There's no way for this system to drop the trailer unless the gears on the leg broke loose from the leg, and on both sides. I'd be really curious to see how this could happen. If someone knows, could they post an explanation please.

On the ones I've seen the motor drives a shaft witch has bevel gears on it. The bevel gears turn a screw that does the actual raising/lowering of the legs. The screws certainly shouldn't turn without power due to the friction involved. This keeps the legs from moving even if the gears, or motor, or both, fail.

I thought the same thing and that was why I was confused on how this could possibly happen. This is especially true since the OP said they were able to secure the broken motor and crank the trailer back up manually. The catastrophic failure of the landing gear required to have the trailer drop would not allow it to be cranked back up without major repair.
2006 Silverado 3500 Crew Cab
2006 Crossroads Paradise Pointe 36RL

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
The legs I've seen use a screw system to raise and lower the legs. There's no way for this system to drop the trailer unless the gears on the leg broke loose from the leg, and on both sides. I'd be really curious to see how this could happen. If someone knows, could they post an explanation please.

On the ones I've seen the motor drives a shaft which has bevel gears on it. The bevel gears turn a screw that does the actual raising/lowering of the legs. The screws certainly shouldn't turn without power due to the friction involved. This keeps the legs from moving even if the gears, or motor, or both, fail.

I had to change the spelling of "witch" to "which". Sorry. Lousy proofreader: me.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

blue_trawler
Explorer
Explorer
I think they said it was a gear! Thinking the motor was working, making noise but nothing was moving? A bolt broke off and the motor was moving around! Guys at the Rv park put a band around it and a shim to hold it still and we finally got the hand crank to move the Rv up a little to get it on the truck!

Bruce

Memphisdoug
Explorer
Explorer
I'm trying to figure out what failed in your landing gear that let the trailer fall "all the way down" as you said. That is not a motor problem. It doesn't even seem possible to me for that to happen.
2006 Silverado 3500 Crew Cab
2006 Crossroads Paradise Pointe 36RL

blue_trawler
Explorer
Explorer
Yea u can use the 40 amp or the 30 John did an amp draw test. Said 30 will just make it pop quicker your total draw was 35 amps at first then drops under 30

This is what one of the techs said. He called the guy who worked on it!

Bruce

blue_trawler
Explorer
Explorer
The motor just quit working! Rv fell all the way down after I got it off of truck and moved truck. Started to level it and BAM all the way down.
I'm thinking they said the gears in this motor are different will allow for more weight! It's slow. I asked today and they said I could use a 30 amp fuse if I wanted too?

Bruce

tdsxt51
Explorer
Explorer
B.O. Plenty wrote:
Chances are it's the same motor. If they're the std electric front jacks i don't know of any different motors. 40 amp fuse won't blow as easily. I wouldn't worry about it.

B.O.

If they up-graded the motor and didn't up-grade the wire size, YOU BETTER WORRY ABOUT IT! Won't blow as easliy?!? Eegads! I don't think that's very good advice!
2014 RAM 2500 CTD 6.7 CCLB Auto
2015 Forest River Rockwood Signature Series Ultra Lite 8289WS w/ Diamond Pkg.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Why did they replace the motor? Did it quit or just get really slow?
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
Chances are it's the same motor. If they're the std electric front jacks i don't know of any different motors. 40 amp fuse won't blow as easily. I wouldn't worry about it.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

blue_trawler
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Txiceman, I will call and find out? I haven't a clue!

bruce

TXiceman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Fine as long as the wire is sized for 40 amps as well.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot