cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dropped Fresh Water Tank

ken_burke
Explorer
Explorer
I overfilled the fresh water tank on my Cedar Creek, and it fell. It didn't fall through the plastic underbelly, but is laying on top of the underbelly. Have you ever seen this? I will add more screws to the underbelly, and head for the Forest River factory for repairs.
ken
2011 Ford F-350 6.7 diesel, Crew Cab, LB, SRW, 4X4, White
Cedar Creek 34SB, 37 feet 5th wheel, Reese 20K Hitch
"So many questions, so little time."
15 REPLIES 15

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
ken burke wrote:
azjeffh wrote:
Dave H M wrote:
Is there a way to overfill a fresh water tank. I am not familiar with the pressure fill ones, but have always filled the gravity fill until it ran back out the fill hole.

I have an overflow tube and fill until I see water running out of it. I also don't know how one could overfill the tank.

Thanks all for your help w my fresh water tank. I don't know if it was really overfilled; it had a lot of water in it.
I will let you know what Forest River says.
ken and sue

Ken, all your tanks =should= be secured well enough to carry a full load while traveling on any normal road, and your FW =should= be spec'd to be able to carry =all= your tanks full, should the need arise. Yes, a rare scenario and fresh and grey tanks can be dumped to lighten the load, but the =design and build= should be able to carry the load, if needed. For any of your tanks to fall like this means at minimum it was a very poor build; at worst, a poor build =and= poor design.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

PapaNIes60
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info.

ken_burke
Explorer
Explorer
azjeffh wrote:
Dave H M wrote:
Is there a way to overfill a fresh water tank. I am not familiar with the pressure fill ones, but have always filled the gravity fill until it ran back out the fill hole.

I have an overflow tube and fill until I see water running out of it. I also don't know how one could overfill the tank.

Thanks all for your help w my fresh water tank. I don't know if it was really overfilled; it had a lot of water in it.
I will let you know what Forest River says.
ken and sue
2011 Ford F-350 6.7 diesel, Crew Cab, LB, SRW, 4X4, White
Cedar Creek 34SB, 37 feet 5th wheel, Reese 20K Hitch
"So many questions, so little time."

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
Your tank didn't fall because you overfilled it. It fell because there was inadequate support, probably just some plumbers straps with a couple of screws.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

Bayley
Explorer
Explorer
The issue is the brackets that hold the tank in place.

You can't "over fill" the tank......HOWEVER you can balloon and blow the tank by filling it too fast without allowing the air to escape as it fills.

NEVER wedge the hose in the fill spout and leave it!!!
Semper Fi

Tony, Darlene & the boss Bentley!
2013 Ram CTD, Ride-Rite Air Bags, B&W Turnover Ball and Andersen "Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection".
2014 Arctic Fox 29-5K 5th wheel with Reese Airborne Pin Box.

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
Total lack of quality control. Coroplast hides too many deficiencies. It should be clear so we could see what they want to hide.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

DelawareCamper
Explorer
Explorer
why would you have an xxx gallon holding tank and not be able to fill it full? is this not why we have holding tanks?

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
PapaNIes60 wrote:
Not sure how one can overfill a water tank. As for me I don't travel with more than 1/4 tank. But then I don't dry camp. Carry only enough to get us to our next camp.

I asked this same question a while ago, and =some= tanks can have a very small overflow, leading to an over =pressure=, ballooning the tank out and bending/breaking the mounts. I doubt I could do it with my Komfort, but I do know that my overflow/vent is fairly small, and I have to fill up with the faucet only about 1/3 to 1/2 open or it will blow the hose right back out the filler neck. Nice cool down on a hot day, but not always what you're looking for. ๐Ÿ™‚

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

PapaNIes60
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure how one can overfill a water tank. As for me I don't travel with more than 1/4 tank. But then I don't dry camp. Carry only enough to get us to our next camp.

jffnkrn
Explorer
Explorer
I have an overflow. as soon as i see water start dripping or running, off the fill goes. As far as the brackets, obviously an issue with that installation. make sure you inspect the other tanks also and have them extra supported while it is in the shop. If manufacture has an issue, ask them if they are willing to pay the liability for damage, injury or death in the event a tank falls out on the road. I bet they will get it fixed!
Good Luck & Be Safe ! ! !

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yeah, I have an RV service manager tell me not to over fill the tank. Uh? When it full it's full you can't get anymore in to over fill it. It comes out the breather even before its full.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

azjeffh
Explorer
Explorer
Dave H M wrote:

Jeff
Wonderful wife Robin
2016 F350 PSD Dually
2016 DRV 38RSSA

azjeffh
Explorer
Explorer
If you haven't already, I suggest draining the tank prior to towing the trailer anywhere.
Jeff
Wonderful wife Robin
2016 F350 PSD Dually
2016 DRV 38RSSA

Dave_H_M
Explorer II
Explorer II