cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DRW or SRW

moman1
Explorer
Explorer
I've read a lot of topics on here about how safe (or not safe) it is to pull a trailer that is close to the max towing capacity of the truck. What I'd like to read here is actual experience (not opinions) of those that are towing close to their limits. Here's why: I'm looking at getting into a Fuzion 422 Chrome. The tow vehicle I get is going to be my daily driver. I really don't want to drive a dually as a daily driver. The max capacity of the 2016 GMC Denali 3500 SRW is 17,100 lbs. The Fuzion with fuel, fresh water and toys is going to be right at 17k lbs. Does anyone have any similar experiences? Again, I realize a dually would be more stable. I also know these trucks are much more capable than what the limits may say.

Thanks in advance!

Kevin
80 REPLIES 80

dedmiston
I think we've exhausted any valuable insight left in the conversation. Hopefully you can make your decision.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

lincster
Explorer
Explorer
taken wrote:
lawnspecialties wrote:
Hey moman1. Just for kicks, now start a new thread and title it, "Should I get a Ford or a Ram dually?"

:B

And in that thread ask some advice on oil. Then finish it off with a good old ST vs. LT tire question. It will break the internet...

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Freggin hilarious both of you!!!!!!!
2022 F350 PSD CC 4X4 Dually to pull 2006 LE3905

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail

taken
Explorer
Explorer
lawnspecialties wrote:
Hey moman1. Just for kicks, now start a new thread and title it, "Should I get a Ford or a Ram dually?"

And in that thread ask some advice on oil. Then finish it off with a good old ST vs. LT tire question. It will break the internet...
Regards, Rodney
TV - 2017 F350 SRW CC SB 4X4 6.7
TH - 2015 FR XLR 395AMP

lawnspecialties
Explorer
Explorer

1jeep
Explorer II
Explorer II
taken wrote:
On buying new, order your truck and get it exactly the way you want. The 8 week wait is nothing compared to the length of ownership and seat time you'll spend in it.

I was right place at the right time, truck I purchased had everything and more than I ever imagined I would want or need.

Do you really need the mega cab? the ram I drove with the crew cab I thought had plenty of passenger space.
2016 Ford F350 crew cab dually 6.7 platinum with heavy tow and 4:30 gears
2015 Carbon 327 with a BMW k1600 and Canam 1k inside

taken
Explorer
Explorer
The mega has a very short bed so a slider will be in order...
Regards, Rodney
TH - 2015 FR XLR 395AMP

moman1
Explorer
Explorer
1jeep wrote:
the ram I looked at had a sticker of just over $73k, before I even got there they took $10k off it. Same with the truck I bought, sticker was just over $74k, yes as much as m first house, but I walked out with it for $62k. GMC didn't really want to play as they took $5k off and told me that was it.

Just shop around, in the northeast it was hard to find a crew cab dually that wasn't a work truck. so my choices were limited unless I ordered one. I did look at used but I was only saving about $10k and didn't like what I was finding.

I noticed the same thing. I'm going to get the Ram mega cab for the additional rear seat space. But I'm a bit concerned about having enough space for the TH to move without hitting the cab. Just need to research the heck out of it.

taken
Explorer
Explorer
On buying new, order your truck and get it exactly the way you want. The 8 week wait is nothing compared to the length of ownership and seat time you'll spend in it.
Regards, Rodney
TH - 2015 FR XLR 395AMP

moman1
Explorer
Explorer
dedmiston wrote:
OK Linc & moman1...everyone back to your corners to cool down.

Hi Moman1, I had to buy a new dually earlier this year. We upgraded to a bigger fifth wheel and there was no way we could pull it with a SRW. I panicked when I started shopping for trucks though. The price of a new dually was going to be more than we paid for the fiver, so I started shopping for a used one. The market for used heavy duty trucks here in So Cal is pretty limited. I found a great site though: https://www.texasdirectauto.com/for-sale/truck/. We picked out a truck online and then we flew to Houston to pick it up. We saved a fortune buying used and buying from a better market like Houston.

Thanks for the insight. I have been looking at both. But with the depreciation being as light as it is with these, I'm thinking I might as well buy new so I have the warranty.

I noticed you have the Aison. That's a big option. Do you find it was worth it?

1jeep
Explorer II
Explorer II
the ram I looked at had a sticker of just over $73k, before I even got there they took $10k off it. Same with the truck I bought, sticker was just over $74k, yes as much as m first house, but I walked out with it for $62k. GMC didn't really want to play as they took $5k off and told me that was it.

Just shop around, in the northeast it was hard to find a crew cab dually that wasn't a work truck. so my choices were limited unless I ordered one. I did look at used but I was only saving about $10k and didn't like what I was finding.
2016 Ford F350 crew cab dually 6.7 platinum with heavy tow and 4:30 gears
2015 Carbon 327 with a BMW k1600 and Canam 1k inside

dedmiston
OK Linc & moman1...everyone back to your corners to cool down.

Hi Moman1, I had to buy a new dually earlier this year. We upgraded to a bigger fifth wheel and there was no way we could pull it with a SRW. I panicked when I started shopping for trucks though. The price of a new dually was going to be more than we paid for the fiver, so I started shopping for a used one. The market for used heavy duty trucks here in So Cal is pretty limited. I found a great site though: https://www.texasdirectauto.com/for-sale/truck/. We picked out a truck online and then we flew to Houston to pick it up. We saved a fortune buying used and buying from a better market like Houston.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Bedlam
We travel on packed beaches and sand trails, but open washes are tough and usually require traction mats or tow vehicle.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

moman1
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:
The 19.5's have very stiff sidewalls making them great tow/haul tires, but they do not flatten when aired down. If you frequent soft sand where you need flotation, this is where these tires do poorly - They will dig down instead of float on top of soft sand. They do well in wet, mud and snow based on the tread you choose.

That could be a problem. Where we typically go camping, there are spots of sand. Usually, it's not much more than 10ft by 5ft and 6 inches deep. But sand is sand. The last thing I need is to pay for a tow truck 50 miles from the nearest road.

lincster
Explorer
Explorer
moman1 wrote:
lincster wrote:
moman1 wrote:
lincster wrote:
moman1 wrote:
lincster wrote:
I always get a kick out of folks that will wait to see the answer they want to hear and then acknowledge that one....

If you already have your mind made up against a dually, then why post?

I don't have my mind made up yet. I have to use the equity in my current truck to get out of my MH. So I'm trying to decide between a used special purpose dually with another livable daily driver truck or a really nice SRW brand new Denali 3500 that can be dual purpose. I'm just responding to the ones that share what I asked for. I asked for real experiences, not advice. So to all of those that shared their advice, thank you and no offense intended. I welcome the advice since I'm new to a fifth wheel. But, I'm mostly interested in the experiences. So why do you feel the need to troll? What's it to you?

Troll???? That is the funniest thing I have heard in a while. Check my history with this sight. I am the furthest thing from a troll. I have been preaching and giving real examples of weights and loads etc for years.

That comment just shows how little you know about the toy hauler forum.

Good observation there Captain Obvious. I already stated I'm new. And yes, if you make a comment the way you did that only criticizes, adds nothing constructive to the thread itself, and only offends someone based on assumptions, you are a troll. Why make a statement on this thread like you did above when there is absolutely zero to gain? If you have nothing to add, simply move on to another thread.

AHAHAHAHAHAHA. You can't even follow your own thread and comments.

Back a couple of pages, you actually THANKED ME for giving real world advice. Now because you focus on one post, you call me names......

Try to keep up.

Yes I did. And I meant it. But then you had to troll and make an accusatory comment that contributed nothing to the thread. That's trolling. Did it benefit you to do make that comment? Then why do it? You still haven't answered that question. And now, you're still taking focus off the purpose of the thread to troll. I'm done with this distraction and you're obviously not going to let it go. So, make your comments as you wish and I'll just choose to ignore the ones that are not constructive. Deal?

Trolling is stating facts??? I guess I am a troll....
2022 F350 PSD CC 4X4 Dually to pull 2006 LE3905

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail