cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Electric Brake Performance Issues

LarryDSLA
Explorer
Explorer
I recently changed the brake pads (12" X 2" 6K Axles) on my 2007 Cedar Creek Fifth Wheel trailer and adjusted as per manufacturer recommendations but the brakes are now week. Prior to the change, I could hold the manual slide and attempt to pull off and the trailer wouldn't move but now the trailer will move with some drag. I have approximately 50% of braking capacity that I had prior to the change of pads. I am using the 2011, F-250 integrated controller that came from the factory. What would you suggest I check and/or do from this point?
I tried listening for the magnets pulling into the inner drums but only heard humming at each wheel. The wheels were static and not free spinning at the time of this observation. Do the wheels need to be in rotation before hearing the magnets actually engaging with the drums or should I have heard them hit the inner surface even in a static situation?
1) I re-inspected and compared before and after photos taken in the duration of this task to verify all parts were re-installed correctly.
2) I re-adjusted the tension (more drag) on the brakes but I am not comfortable with the latest adjustment but it did increase braking slightly but not where they should be. My concern is they will run hot with the current tension.

2011 Ford Super Duty F-250
2007 Cedar Creek Fifth Wheel Travel Trailer 34RLTS
21 REPLIES 21

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
the bear II wrote:
donn0128 wrote:
What was their adjustment recomendation?
With the wheel free to spin adjust till you cannot rotate the tire. Then back off 3-4 clicks. You shoule feel some drag, otherwise you will have weak brakes.

X2 this is the technique I use to adjust my brakes. When I spin the tire/wheel I can hear the brake shoes scraping as the wheel spins.

X3

That and turning the drums
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
With the wheel free to spin adjust till you cannot rotate the tire. Then back off 3-4 clicks. You shoule feel some drag, otherwise you will have weak brakes.

X2 this is the technique I use to adjust my brakes. When I spin the tire/wheel I can hear the brake shoes scraping as the wheel spins.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bill1374 wrote:
Were the drums turned when you installed the new shoes? It will take a bit of driving for the new shoes to seat against the drums.

Bill

X2

Replacing shoes without turning drums, or replacing them is not a good practice.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Dayle1
Explorer II
Explorer II
The hum is the sound your brake controller makes when it is activating the magnets. Most use pulsed DC voltage to adjust the amount of braking force. The magnets click once when activated by the break-away switch or sometimes 100% power from the controller.

Agree with others, the shoes need time to adjust to the drums.
Larry Day
Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders since '01
'13 Silverado 3500HD LT 2wd CCSB SRW, custom RKI bed
'19 Starcraft Telluride 292RLS
Rig Photos

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
You need to burnish them.

Bill1374
Explorer
Explorer
Were the drums turned when you installed the new shoes? It will take a bit of driving for the new shoes to seat against the drums.

Bill
KZ Montego Bay in Florida
Rockwood lite up north
2016 HD Street Glide, 12 Fatboy for cruisin