cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Electric break controller not working

Hardcandy
Explorer
Explorer
I have working lights ony fiver and on the break controller but I have no breaks on the fifth wheel. I've tried both plugs the one in the bed of the truck and on the bumper and still no trailer breaks. Any input will be appreciate.
TV: 2004.5 Chevy Silverado CCLB 6.6L 3500 DRW, K&N, EFI Live 60hp economy/tow tune, 4" magnaflow exhaust, B&W gooseneck W/ B&W Companion
S&W M&P 40cal in the door pocket...
2012 28.5' Jayco Eagle RLS w/super slide
Ruger 45cal on the nightstand
6 REPLIES 6

Miles_Away
Explorer
Explorer
All the above information is good advise. It would however been helpful if you had indicated what type of brake controller you are using. Given the age of your truck we cannot assume it is an OEM set up, so please specify.
M & M :C On the road again!
2007 GMC 3500-SRW-Duramax-longbed-4X4
2008 Keystone EVEREST 348R 5th wheel
2002 SUNDOWNER gooseneck horse trailer

fitznj
Explorer
Explorer
Check voltage at the Truck socket first;
Check for humming at each brake with the controller on
Check the breakaway cable and make sure its engaged
Check for voltage at each wheel (if you can get to the connectors)

Finally - check for a GOOD ground at each wheel (this was my problem when
I had similar issues) All grounds were connected together and then grounded
to the chassis - the chassis connector was bad thus each brake was inoperative.

Gerry
Gerry

Dave2001
Explorer
Explorer
Check your brake light switch in the truck. When mine died, I had no trailer brakes. I'm not sure if this is true on all brake controllers, but suspect that it is. The brake light switch is an input that initiates power from the brake controller. I have the Prodigyยฎ P2 Electronic Brake Control.
2005 Holiday Rambler Alumascape 32SKD
2001 Dodge 2500 Quad cab, 4x4, HO, 6spd, 4:10

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
If you break it, then it is broke. But, if you have no brakes, I would start with a good battery and pull the breakaway cable, and listen for the distinctive hum. Then try to pull it with the breakaway cable pulled.
Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Hardcandy wrote:
I have working lights ony fiver and on the break controller but I have no breaks on the fifth wheel. I've tried both plugs the one in the bed of the truck and on the bumper and still no trailer breaks. Any input will be appreciate.

Standard 7-pin connector shows pin 2 (usually blue) as the brake power wire. If you have power there when the controller manual handle is moved, then you likely have a wiring problem in the FW. First place to check is good ground wire. Second, make sure the wires in the plug are good. If you can jack each wheel, you can see if you have =any= braking at all. If you have no power at the truck, then check fuses, then start checking truck wiring. If you have another truck available, plug in to that and see if you have brakes. That can narrow it down to your truck, too. Any thing else, and you're having to chase wires on your FW.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

ramgunner
Explorer
Explorer
Is the battery in the trailer charged?

Is there a fuse in the truck for the TBC output?

Checked the brake and ground pins on the trailer electrical connector?
Editor - http://www.RamGunner.com / http://www.MomentumGunner.com
2014 Ram 3500 Tradesman/CTD/AISIN/4.10/4WD/CC/LB/DRW/VHF/UHF/APRS/CB/SCANNER
Grand Design Momentum 385TH (Polaris RZR800/VHF/UHF/HF)