cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Electric Fire Places

Gray_Fox
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone installed an electric fire place in their F/W an are you happy with it...
Gray Fox
2014 F350 4x4 Diesel Lariat
2009 HitchHiker-LS 34.5 RLTG
Always keep moving so you don't seize up.
32 REPLIES 32

Lightning55
Explorer
Explorer
Mine was factory installed. I originally thought it was kind of a silly option but now we love it. Keeps the FW nice and warm and is very quiet. I've removed it for access to my entertainment system wiring and there was only 4 screws holding it in and some trim moldings. Simple.

Esacnj
Explorer
Explorer
We have one and like it a lot. When new it would run and not shut down on thermostat. Dealer removed it and ran it in shop and it worked fine. Turns out it is located in my slide out and the thermostat sensor is behind it in the closed cabinet. The heat could not get to it to satisfy the thermostat. Dealer cut in two vents to allow the heat to get to it and now it works.
Esacnj

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
The other thing about FP in RV's is that when it's raining out, it kind of just takes your mind off that it's raining and adds ambiance. So you can't roast marshmallows, but it's nice to have while watching tv. Plus they can be run w/ just the effect's of a fire or with heat. Ahhhhh........
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

Campinghoss
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our fiver came with one. We use it more than the heat pump when it gets chilly. It is very nice to have on those chilly mornings or evenings.
Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
MorRyde IS with disc brakes
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucie our fur baby
Lucky 9/15/2007 - 1/30/2023

thetechie01
Explorer
Explorer
We love ours! It's the main heat source for our FW. we have a small space heater that we use back in the bunk room as well, but I am thinking about putting a fireplace back there too. I like it being built in, don't have to worry about it as much with the kids. My girls love to sit in front of the fireplace and read on the cold, rainy days we are camping.
Greatest bunkhouse I've ever seen! Elkridge 38RSRT, 2012 F-350

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I got bored looking at my space heater. Fireplace is a lot more entertaining and provides ambiance.

Seriously, we also have a ceramic heater and use it too. Thing is, I have never seen any space heater that is as quiet as the Dimplex is. The squirrel fan doesn't turn very fast (long skinny type) and it moves a lot of air without noise. The stat keeps the temp dead-on as well.
So it's always the Dimplex we leave one overnight.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Had one in our first trailer, an Alpenlite 34RLE Ltd. Lost that trailer to a blowover & picked up another 34RLR that did not have the FP.

Prefer the extra storage space. Give me a real fireplace of give me a functional heater. We have the electric heater. Works fine. The coffee maker & toaster oven get stored where that stupid flame thinghy goes.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
jkwilson wrote:
MNRon wrote:
Had one in our HH. Before getting it I thought it was crazy. After using it a fireplace was a โ€œmust haveโ€ in our current camper.

They are basically a large expensive electric heater. But do add some ambiance, and we use it all the time to take the chill out in morning or evenings.

Couldnโ€™t have said it better myself. Exactly how I feel.
Me too - used to scoff at fireplaces in RVs. Even when we bought the current fifth wheel which came with one, I said - Ya see if we ever use that. First trip with it, temps got into the low 40's. Turned it on in the evening and then again in the morning and it actually worked as advertised. Took the rest of the trip to get my foot out of my mouth.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Cummins12V98 wrote:
My wife insisted on one when we ordered our DRV. I wanted more storage.

It's actually functional.

My wife insisted on one, but when we looked at our current rig, she liked it so much, she just said, "well, we can just get a small portable one". :B

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
No.
I would consider a wood stove.
Boats use diesel heaters.

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
our first TT did not have one, never thought much about it. current TT came with a living room electric fireplace. didn't really consider pros or cons because we bought the TT with the floor plan we wanted. rear living and 3 slides we use it in cold weather to augment propane and save propane. we always use shore power (not long term sites) also have a smaller portable electric heater in front bedroom. overall we have utilized and liked it. bottom line is in our non boondocking travels it saves propane and no electric costs to us. everyone's situation is different.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
TXiceman wrote:
The fire place produces the exact same 1500 Watts or 5100 BTUH on the 15 amp circuit that a 1500 Watt ceramic heater produces. It is a big expensive space waster that is fixed to one location. I would rather have the storage space and carry a small cube heater that is stored out of the way when we do not need it.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Ken

x2

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
texanrvr wrote:
We have fireplaces in both the living room and the bedroom and use them both frequently. I changed out both of the plugs that they use to a heavier unit that doesn't get hot under use.

We also use Cheap Heat electric heater in place of the propane furnace. It gives a more even heat throughout the trailer. Depending on the electric rate, the cost difference is negligible and I don't have to lug heavy propane bottles around.

We have one FP in the living area, the wife likes to use it once in a while. We always use our CheapHeat unless away from shore power. Really nice not having cheap little heaters placed around the RV to have go bad or trip over!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

texanrvr
Explorer
Explorer
We have fireplaces in both the living room and the bedroom and use them both frequently. I changed out both of the plugs that they use to a heavier unit that doesn't get hot under use.

We also use Cheap Heat electric heater in place of the propane furnace. It gives a more even heat throughout the trailer. Depending on the electric rate, the cost difference is negligible and I don't have to lug heavy propane bottles around.
Jay-Driver
Stella-Director of Operations and Navigator
Cassie-Schnauzer
'11 Heartland Landmark
2010 Dodge 3500 DRW
SLT