cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Experiences with Space Craft?

wannabervin
Explorer
Explorer
I just read this months Trailer Life article on Space Craft, the custom 5th wheel builder, and I am intrigued. We are planning to move from our TT to a 5th next year and go full time. I like the idea of working directly with the builder and not with a dealership. I like to hear if anyone has had any experience dealing with this company.
12 REPLIES 12

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
"Wannaberin" -

For custom build fifth wheels - New Horizons is tough to beat!

The "go to" guy (besides NH factory) is Jack Mayer on the SKP's
HDT forum.

He is a NH "Ambassador" - which means he takes his NH 5th to shows, etc.
Also, he is on (owns) his second one - both designed to his specs.

For lots of details and extensive info on his NH - go to the
Escapees HDT forums and this topic.....

"Our New 44.5' New Horizons"

Also check out his web site - which is in his sig in that thread.
Besides lots of misc great info (tow vehicles, etc) - his website has extensive info on the (his) 2015 NH, with additional links with videos of the factory, etc.
(No need to read through posts to the thread above)

BTW - The tow vehicle of choice for a Spacecraft or a New Horizons
is a singled or tandem HDT. You will find those on the same SKP (HDT) forum.

Why not a MDT? - the HDT is/was *originally* intended for over the road use - with driver convenience, comfort, unmatched HP and TQ and -unlike an MDT- can be licensed as a Motor Home in many states.

~

jims1
Explorer
Explorer
$150's +
Same prices as a full Elite DRV.

Here are some links for those that like to shop
http://spacecraftmfg.com/
http://www.horizonsrv.com/

You need a minimum of a late model 3500, preferably a 4500/450 +
Most pull the 40ft+ units with MDT's and HDT's
A Space Craft 44' unit that we are considering to have built has an estimated weight of 26000lbs with a pin weight of 7000lbs.
Volvo dually Pickup
DRV Memphis
Me, Alie, and Salie
Fulltiming

wannabervin
Explorer
Explorer
Traveler II wrote:
We have friends that have had them build a custom fiver. They are one great quality rig, and the company really stands behind their work, but they really are pricy. If you've got the coin, it's a great way to go.

So...how would you "define pricey?"

wannabervin
Explorer
Explorer
n7bsn wrote:
Pyoung is correct, they make top notch rigs, but aim primarily at Carny and "special" (like "bunk" trailers).

Personally I think the New Horizons aims more at the 'recreation' full-time crowd, while Spacecraft aims at the 'working' full-time crowd.

Of course either will build you a great rig, designed the way you want it.

Either also requires a substantial truck, ie maybe something more then even a '1-ton'

So...New Horizons does custom too?

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
Pyoung is correct, they make top notch rigs, but aim primarily at Carny and "special" (like "bunk" trailers).

Personally I think the New Horizons aims more at the 'recreation' full-time crowd, while Spacecraft aims at the 'working' full-time crowd.

Of course either will build you a great rig, designed the way you want it.

Either also requires a substantial truck, ie maybe something more then even a '1-ton'
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

pyoung47
Explorer
Explorer
I stopped there once, and they were very nice folks. The factory is just off I-70 west of Kansas City. In fact, if you stop at the Concordia rest area in the west-bound lane of I-70, their factory is just over the fence. They make lots of campers for carnival folks and specialized uses. Search on youtube -- there is a video or two displaying their products.

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Not only deep pockets, but a hefty dually to yank it with!!
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

jims1
Explorer
Explorer
Go over to RVNetwork.com (Escapees forum) and ask around. There is also a facebook site that is private but you can ask to join. There are several folks I know of that fulltime in SpaceCraft RV's
Volvo dually Pickup
DRV Memphis
Me, Alie, and Salie
Fulltiming

azjeffh
Explorer
Explorer
wannabervin wrote:
I like the idea of working directly with the builder and not with a dealership.

Another option to work directly with the manufacturer is Luxe.

We chose not to purchase their product due to the lack of service facilities throughout the US.
Jeff
Wonderful wife Robin
2016 F350 PSD Dually
2016 DRV 38RSSA

Traveler_II
Explorer
Explorer
We have friends that have had them build a custom fiver. They are one great quality rig, and the company really stands behind their work, but they really are pricy. If you've got the coin, it's a great way to go.
2011 Cameo 34SB3
2014 Ford 350 King Ranch, Trailer Saver BD3 Air Hitch, Mor/Ryde pin box, IS Suspension, Disk Brakes
Nights Camped in 2012 - 142
Nights Camped in 2013 - 186
Nights Camped in 2014 - 185
Nights Camped in 2015 - 231
Nights Camped in 2016 - 162

ksbowman
Explorer II
Explorer II
When I was growing up my parents had Spacecraft truck campers. The owner of Spacecraft then was John May (could be wrong on the last name). He made a very good product. That was all my parents would buy. He stood behind his units extremely well and did corrections even when they were out of warranty. Now I am 66 years old so that was a while back. Isn't the owner of Spacecraft now his daughter? If so I bet the pride in product is still there.

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
No experience, just know that you need DEEP pockets to order one.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint