cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fiberglass repair

BlackSilver
Explorer
Explorer
I recently had a tire blow, and lost (among other things) a chunk of the fiberglass on the exterior wall of a slideout.

The construction of the slide wall is a vacuum pressed sandwich of a fiberglass outer skin, about 2" of styrofoam insulation, and an interior wood panel skin. There's also an aluminum tubing framework.
This sandwich is glued together, then pressed under vacuum to form the wall of the slide.

An RV repair shop which I trust says that this type of construction is naturally very strong, but almost impossible to repair to "original" appearance, and that the repair is often not "durable" for very long.

So he went to my manufacturer (Gulf Stream) to buy a new wall. Gulf Stream will not build a new wall, and the shop (who I believe to be honest) insists that there are no accepted repair procedures which he would be able to restore the fiberglass skin. (A section about 2' x 4' is torn away).

This isn't a matter of cost..... I have insurance.

Does anyone have experience with having such a repair done, and what method was used? Did it match the original finish and appearance, such that the repair was invisible? Was the repair lasting, with no cracking or delamination?

I would rather take the hit of the rig being "totaled out" by the insurance company, than risk a "make do" repair job which didn't restore the rig to normal appearance.

For some reason, I can't post an image, but there is a photo at http://s1338.photobucket.com/user/OldSlowHans/media/Damage%20small_zpsrzflf4dz.jpg.html

(Moderator edit)Here is your photo. ๐Ÿ™‚
Barney
Hans, Kร˜HB & Colleen, Kร˜CKB
Master Chief Radioman, US Navy
Heartland Big Country camping trailer
3500HD Silverado Big Dooley LTZ Go-power by Max & Allie
7 REPLIES 7

shadows4
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think you need to look at other repair shops. I took mine to a local marine fiberglass repair shop. They specialize in boats but they always seem to have almost as many RV's as boats waiting to be repaired.

I can tell you my guy would probably cut across under your window, all the way across. Order a new exterior fiberglass vacuum wall piece and fiberglass it in. Then paint to match. That is basically what he did to mine, except the cut was vertical on the fifth wheel part.

Here is a pic of the 5er before it was repaired. If you look close you can see a vertical line running above and below the bed room window. It was like this when I bought it. It was not the right way to repair it.

And this is after the repair.

And the shop guaranteed the repair for as long as I own the trailer. Good luck, John

Moderator edit to re-size pictures to forum recommended limit of 640px maximum width.

2016 4X4 F350,CC,SB,Lariat,6.7L diesel,
2015 Coachmen Chapparal 324 TSRK
B&W Patriot 16K hitch.

soren
Explorer
Explorer
I would talk to a few competent body shops and boat yards. I have had several areas repaired on my older motorhome, prior to having it repainted. It's been over a year and 20K miles, and there is no evidence of any issue. IMHO, I don't agree with your RV repair shop.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Your location given could be alot of places however if there is a boatyard nearby take it to them.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

ksbowman
Explorer II
Explorer II
mbrower wrote:
A picture of your damage would help. Small damage should be no problem for a competent body shop. If its fairly large and the structure of the side wall was intact, I would laminate the whole wall with a new fiberglass skin. I would remove any windows and trim/molding, smooth out the existing skin with 280 grit D/A paper, fill in the missing fiberglass with a mixture of resin and chopped glass if small. Larger areas I would repair with fiberglass cloth. Once cured, I would sand smooth. I would then attach the new skin with a quality type of waterproof contact adhesive. Replace all the items that was removed and any graphics and it should look brand new and durable as well.

This is only a suggestion as I have never done this type of repair. Having said that, I have done body work for 30 years and all types of fiberglass repairs and this is how I would do it if my own was ever damaged.

You can buy the skin and contact adhesive here
This is very good advise. If I were in the same situation this is exactly what I would do. I have patched small holes and dents before with plastic body putty and painted to match with excellent results, but due to the size of your damage I would do exactly as mbrower suggests.

BlackSilver
Explorer
Explorer
ACZL wrote:
Shot in the dark here, but what about taking the coach back to MFR and have them redo it there? That is if they would. Shouldn't be that hard for them to do seeing they should have the build specs on it, make slides for their coaches then install them. If not, not to sound rude, but shame on them.

Like you say, "shame on them". They want nothing to do with me.
Hans, Kร˜HB & Colleen, Kร˜CKB
Master Chief Radioman, US Navy
Heartland Big Country camping trailer
3500HD Silverado Big Dooley LTZ Go-power by Max & Allie

mbrower
Explorer
Explorer
A picture of your damage would help. Small damage should be no problem for a competent body shop. If its fairly large and the structure of the side wall was intact, I would laminate the whole wall with a new fiberglass skin. I would remove any windows and trim/molding, smooth out the existing skin with 280 grit D/A paper, fill in the missing fiberglass with a mixture of resin and chopped glass if small. Larger areas I would repair with fiberglass cloth. Once cured, I would sand smooth. I would then attach the new skin with a quality type of waterproof contact adhesive. Replace all the items that was removed and any graphics and it should look brand new and durable as well.

This is only a suggestion as I have never done this type of repair. Having said that, I have done body work for 30 years and all types of fiberglass repairs and this is how I would do it if my own was ever damaged.

You can buy the skin and contact adhesive here
2001 Chevy 3500 Big Dooley 8.1L (496 Cubes)Allison 5sp 4:10
2008 KZ Montego Bay 37RLB-4

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Shot in the dark here, but what about taking the coach back to MFR and have them redo it there? That is if they would. Shouldn't be that hard for them to do seeing they should have the build specs on it, make slides for their coaches then install them. If not, not to sound rude, but shame on them.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"