cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fiberglass Repair

Gonecamping444
Explorer
Explorer
Crap,Just went to the storage pole barn at our local golf course & the care taker of the golf course told me that a worker backed into my fifth wheel & damage the bottom of the front cap near the corner.Not a hole but there a 2'' x 2'' of fiberglass missing,They said they would pay for it & have someone come out there to repair it,I do know I want to have input of you they get,Any ideas what else I should do?I want a good job but don't know who you to contact.Afraid they will do just a quick fix,I think it happened in November some time & they just tell me now.It's a 2010 CrossRoads Cruiser,Thanks
21 REPLIES 21

Gonecamping444
Explorer
Explorer
Just talked to someone who has done fiberglass patching on rv's said to do a good job he would loosen that corner of the cap so he could also repair it from the inside also.Do you think that's necessary?I told him the size of the hole & he said without looking at it he said he would charge $500-$600,That sounds like a good price.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
excellent veebyes.
bumpy

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am actually quite proud of my learned fiberglassing expertise. With the help of a friend who has more experience than me we built a top for my boat from scratch.

First, we had to build a frame for the mold.

Next it was lining the frame with gloss counter topping.

After that came the glassing part using a couple layers of resin then cloth, then foam, then more cloth.

Things look rough popped out of the mold but from there all the pinholes had to be sanded & filler used in the imperfections.

Multiple coats of primer, wet sanding, more primer before finaly painting

Finally mounting onto the frame & hoisting back on the boat.

Job complete. When you look at it the thing is really not much different than a trailer front cap except that it has far more material in it.

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

lj_cox
Explorer
Explorer
Before you repair it get a repair guy to take a real close look at it. We had the same sort of damage (rental moving truck backed into the front cap) but on close inspection the cap was cracked over a wide area. Repair guy said "cracked like an egg." We were quoted over 2K to repair the damage and the company wasn't sure the repair would last. Replacing the cap was much cheaper, and a better fix.
We're full-timing now, loving our cabin (fifthwheel) on the lake/at the beach/in the mountains/close to the city.

Gonecamping444
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all your info

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gonecamping444 wrote:
What about fading?The sides have gelcoat so the cap must have gelcoat also,So can they even do it so you can't tell it was hit.I have taken good care of the camper & always waxed it,but iknow there must be a little fading,Ticks me off that's why i paid to store it inside to keep it nice,Oh well

A good glass guy can match it no matter what. Even if it means bringing the old back to life.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Gonecamping444
Explorer
Explorer
What about fading?The sides have gelcoat so the cap must have gelcoat also,So can they even do it so you can't tell it was hit.I have taken good care of the camper & always waxed it,but iknow there must be a little fading,Ticks me off that's why i paid to store it inside to keep it nice,Oh well

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I guess all of my fiberglass boats have been made properly by reputable companies. the delamination you talk about is actually faulty construction, leaving air pockets, etc. not a fiberglass layer pulling off of a plywood or other substrate due to water intrusion.
bumpy

diazr2
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
Terryallan wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
yep boat repair services do it all the time but one concern is that in a boat you are usually talking about solid thick fiberglass. will they be working on that or on filon etc. on a backing?
bumpy

You do know the hull on most normal size fiberglass boats is only about 1/4" thick. the Gel coat is around 1/16"

I am very familiar with boats. and unless you get a RV like a molded egg type, you are talking about an entirely different material, for 95% of them out there. have you ever seen a boat delaminate?
bumpy
Yes.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bumpyroad wrote:
Terryallan wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
yep boat repair services do it all the time but one concern is that in a boat you are usually talking about solid thick fiberglass. will they be working on that or on filon etc. on a backing?
bumpy

You do know the hull on most normal size fiberglass boats is only about 1/4" thick. the Gel coat is around 1/16"

I am very familiar with boats. and unless you get a RV like a molded egg type, you are talking about an entirely different material, for 95% of them out there. have you ever seen a boat delaminate?
bumpy

In truth yes I have. More than you think. In my younger days I built boats, and was the "boat Doctor" for a top of the line manufacturer. Our boats were hand rolled not pressed. It was my job to repair "New boats" before they were shipped. Many things can happen to a boat before it leaves the shop.

Fiberglass delamination on boats is caused by air in the fiberglass. Those air pockets puff /bell out, and will crack like an egg and the glass just turns loose, and the outside cracks.

In fact. We covered every inch, especially the sharp edged with various wooden tools to find the air pockets. When you hit one you knew it instantly. And The Doc was called to fix it.

I also had to repair holes drilled in the wrong place, scratches, and lots of other stuff.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

bluka43
Explorer
Explorer
Of course, it's your decision on how to fix it. You don't really need to repair this area with fiberglass cloth and resin. I did some damage to the rounded corner on the front cap of my FW a couple of years ago and repaired it myself. I used the type of plastic filler, similar to Bondo, with fiberglass fibers in it. Tape an area large enough around the damage and roughen it up with 300 sandpaper and a block. Mix and apply the plastic filler with a 4" wide plastic spreader. You can get these at any auto parts store. Let it cure and start sanding using a coarse sandpaper and block first being careful to match the profile of the surrounding area. Sand until the plastic filler gets down enough to start using a finer grit sandpaper to get a very smooth surface. (you should know when you're done sanding) I then used a 2" wide paint brush and painted 3 coats of white gelcoat and sanded until smooth using 800 grit. Now it's time to match the color of the FW. A body shop should be able to do this. Unfortunately there are no paint code numbers so it'll have to be mixed and tried until the exact color is obtained. How do I know this? Because my son owns and operates a full service auto body and paint shop. I did the repairs, he did the match and paint. It came out perfect. No way to tell. I would attach a few photos of the repair process, but I don't remember how.
In your case though, they offered to repair it for you.....go for it.

C-Bears
Explorer
Explorer
I am with most others on this one, call a experienced glass guy from one of your boatyards. Your unit is too new not to have this repair done right.
2014 Montana 3725RL (Goodyear G614 Tires, Flow Thru TPMS)

SPENDING THE WINTERS AT OUR HOME IN SW FLORIDA. THE REST OF THE YEAR SEEING THE U.S. FROM OUR LIVING ROOM WINDOW!

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Terryallan wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
bumpy

bumpy

fcooper
Explorer
Explorer
A couple of years ago, I had to repair a hole in the front cap of my motorhome. I took a few pictures, and the process is documented in the link below.
fiberglass repair

Working with fiberglass is forgiving as you can grind away your mistakes and start over. Getting the paint applied without runs is the hardest part for me.

As other posters have recommended, a boat repair facility can do your repair.

Fred
Fred & Vicki
St. Augustine, Florida