cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fifth wheel bucking and jerking

MrHavasu
Explorer
Explorer
Any ideas on how to reduce the bucking and jerking while towing? I have a Anderson ultimate 5th wheel hitch and have a 2014 Ram 2500 I tow with. Not u sure If something is not setup right or if I need to buy one of those king pin adapters with built in shocks or air bags to improve this. The trailer is just a tiny bit high in front, 39 foot toyhauler. It was not loaded down last time I just towed. Oh, Trailer is a Grand design momentum 348 with two axles.
Thanks in advance.
15 REPLIES 15

ramgunner
Explorer
Explorer
Someone referencing "the weight police" has been told something they don't want to hear, and are looking for validation to ignore the good advice they were given.

Since they won't post their weights, I suspect they are WAY over and "just want it to work" without being forced to do it the right way.
Editor - http://www.RamGunner.com / http://www.MomentumGunner.com
2014 Ram 3500 Tradesman/CTD/AISIN/4.10/4WD/CC/LB/DRW/VHF/UHF/APRS/CB/SCANNER
Grand Design Momentum 385TH (Polaris RZR800/VHF/UHF/HF)

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
We get all that but posting your weight would help identify how balanced your rig is. The weights would tell if the hitch is positioned correctly.
It's not simply a matter of being within parameters, balance also comes into play.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

MrHavasu
Explorer
Explorer
I appreciate the help, just not the negative weight comments. I am under my gcwr, under my axle rating, under my max towed weight rating. I am over my payload rating, I am aware of that and of how the 2500 trucks are kept at the under 10K payload capacity ratings for a reason. Dont want to get into all that.
I think that some of you have already figured out my problem for me. I should have known, but was looking for some with similar experience. Now I know that I do not have the Anderson setup correctly. Remember,, I said it towed great with the Curt hitch. I need to move the whole thing forward a bit, the king pin is setting to far back and it was further forward with the Curt.
Again, thanks for the input.

bfast54
Explorer
Explorer
Just an observation here

people are trying to help you----- and then you say that" you've weighed and you know you're not overweight"

well then why are you asking us if you don't want to listen to our suggestions?????

Sounds like your weight is not in the right areas

sounds like there could be something loose in your head( hitch or frame)

sounds like you could have a little bit of a load shifting on acceleration or braking

there's multiple possible issues.

I myself think the Andersen frame doesn't have the HEFT-- that us heavyweights have

I tow with the B&W

but that's just my opinion.
2000 Ford SuperDuty F-350 Powerstroke,Dually.C.C.,.The Tow Monster
2005 Open Road 357RLDS
Prodigy Brake Controller:B
Honda EU3000is Generator
Raytek ,,Garmin 7735/GPS
Doran Mfg-RV360-TPMS
B&W/Companion

Rally's attended so far-21

My Blog
Good Sam Member

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
MrHavasu wrote:
I have weighed the package and I know what it is. The last 3
posters got it. Its just not set up right. Thanks for the replies.

If you share the info possibly someone can help you. otherwise we are all in the dark. The more info you supply the better the answers will be. Based on the info you have provided it is hard to provide credible help.
In short it would be nice to have your CAT scale figures since you have them available.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

MrHavasu
Explorer
Explorer
I have weighed the package and I know what it is. The last 3
posters got it. Its just not set up right. Thanks for the replies.

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
You guys dont state if your using the rail version or GN attach version of the Andersen. If GN attach version make sure your GN hitch is properly torqued and secured. Any movement in the GN hitch will affect the Andersen as well. I had this problem when I first got mine and found my B&W Turnoverball was not properly torqued and moving ever so slightly.
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

Seabeedaddy
Explorer
Explorer
Mr Havasu.
I had the same issue this weekend. My issue was when I was going up significant inclines and down declines. It was sliding forward and Back.. I'm way under all my ratings. I have a 2016 F350 SRW Powerstroke.. I sent a email to Anderson Hitch for some advice..
I was trading the fifth wheel in so it was kinda empty, any weight I did have was on the axles of the trailer.. Ill let u know.. I think it is set up!!

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
Short bed or long bed?? My bet you have the center of the hitch on or behind center of axle. Needs to be ahead of center of axle by atleast 2" for that kind of pin weight.
2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have you got set up weighed?

GD Momentum 348 has a DRY pin of 3100# @13,400# UVW
WET Pin is probably closer to 3700# using same % ratio)

2014 RAM 2500 max payload is 3500# (what is your payload on yellow sticker/door jamb?)

2014 RAM RAWR is 6500#

For a reality check go to scales and get weighed.
Real world numbers will help
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Y-Guy
Need to run it over the scales when loaded so you know where the weights are. Once you have that you'll probably find your problem, if not you'll in the top 5% that actually know their weights. Could be not enough weight on the tongue, but without weights it's just a guess.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
Go to the scales.
AAA Motorcycle RV Plus

MrHavasu
Explorer
Explorer
Its not an overloading issue. Please, I dont need the weight police. I am well under my axle rating and have towed my trailer before with a regular curt hitch, and the ride was much better.
Good points made in prior posts, maybe its the nose a little high and how the Anderson moves the trailer back a little. I think I should look into moving the hitch ball forward and see if I can lower the king pin a little.

Searching_Ut
Explorer
Explorer
Need more information about how you were loaded, and what if any mods you've made to the truck. How much is the rear of your truck sagging when hitched? As mentioned, given the posted weights for that 5er you're probably overloading the truck, which can make it ride rough.

It sounds like you are already aware that towing the 5er nose high can exacerbate chucking. Slop in hitches can also cause issues, but in your case that probably isn't the issue given the ball mount setup you're using tends to provide a smooth tight hookup. On the downside, your hitch is probably carries the weight relatively far back in your bed, which combined with overloading the rear end might make things a little rougher.

I'd weigh the setup, and measure and post just how high you are in the front and see if that doesn't help in getting anything more than a wild guess.
2015 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD, 4X4, AISIN, B&W Companion Puck Mount
2016 Heartland Bighorn 3270RS, 1kw solar with Trimetric and dual SC2030, 600 watt and 2k inverters.