cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First post! Need advice from you good fellas!!!

jaxteller
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for reading. My name is Alex and I currently live in Midland Tx. Working in the oil field as a truck driver. I've decided to buy a Fifth Wheeler. Things in the oil field change constantly. Cost of living is high and there's no job security . Some people say this boom will last 10 years others say 5. Who knows. But i want to be ready for any situation.

Reading through your posts, I found very valuable information.

But here's my question:

I decided to buy a used fifth wheeler. Perhaps a 2010 model or newer. What manufacturer builds the stronger fifth wheeler? Not looking for fancy appliances, but strong and high quality structure, frames, walls, etc.

I'm also going to redecorate the RV. Cant find a modern interior design. Most rvs interior looks like my grandma's house.

Anyways thanks for stopping by and i appreciate your input and or opinion.

God bless.
30 REPLIES 30

Luke_Porter
Explorer
Explorer
jaxteller wrote:
Thanks for your suggestions. I'm not trying to be rude with my grandma but so far, most rvs I've seen, have outdated decoration except for the airstream, but that's out of my budget.

Probably a lot of the rigs mentioned here are out of your budget. So--if you want to find something in your budget--you might state what the budget is.....
Yep, actually drove to all of these places---in the last eight years. Missed Rhode Island and New Jersey.

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
New horizons has a 'euro interior ' coming out ,whats your budget?
Forks RV builds a lot for overseas they may have your interior ,FWTW I also think the grannies parlour interiors tedious .
2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
directlink brake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-

jaxteller
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for your suggestions. I'm not trying to be rude with my grandma but so far, most rvs I've seen, have outdated decoration except for the airstream, but that's out of my budget.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
WeBeFulltimers wrote:
I have never seen a TH that looks like grammas house! :B

Really. Most TH's I've seen were built with dirt in mind, with lots of vinyl and laminates, to make cleaning easier. Just my 2 cents...

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

beetle1
Explorer
Explorer
Had a 2003 36'Mobile Suite for 8 years and now 2013 39'Montana 3582. Either brand from 2010 and up will not look like Grandma's house and built well as others in the upper end will be.Matter of floor plan choice.

WeBeFulltimers
Explorer
Explorer
I have never seen a TH that looks like grammas house! :B
2012 Ford F-350 PSD SRW ** CURT Q24 ** 2018.5 MONTANA 3791RD

jaxteller
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Bombero! I've found great tips in this forum. I don't have the truck yet. I'm going to wait til I buy the 5er. I'm going to check into that toy hauler deal, I actually think it can be a good idea because I'm more than certain that I will get rid of most of the furniture and replace it with something newer, modern looking I guess. I love my grandma a lot but most rvs interior remind me of her living room lol. Thanks again for the suggestion.

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome, Alex!

What brand should you get? Lots of possibilities!
Suggest you find time whenever you can and visit some dealers or an RV show.
You can also find most mfgr websites with models and floor plans.

Even if you're not buying new - it will help with ideas of what you like, and what you don't.

You might also consider a toy hauler - even if you don't have "toys".
The "garage" portion is handy for....whatever.

Do you have something to tow a 5th wheel with?

If you don't - that may be an advantage.

However, if you already have a tow vehicle - you will need to match your load capability with what you want in a 5th.

Good luck with your search!

~

jaxteller
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the recommendation Di

Dutch___Di
Explorer
Explorer
Carriage went out of business but the early 2000 & up to 2003 models were still well built and had good quality. We still have and live in our 1996 and updated her back in 2010. Good luck in your search. hugs, Di
2015 Western Brown Pearl single cab Ram 3500 Dually. Aisin Transmission, Pace Edwards auto rolltop cover, DeBoe Slide Step, AMP Side Steps.
1996/2010 Triple Slide Carriage, Mor/Ryde Susp, Kodiak Disc Brakes, Big Foot Auto Leveling System, TST TPMS

jaxteller
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Kenneth. Hard decision to take specially for a rookie like me.

kennethwooster
Explorer
Explorer
A 2010 Carriage or 2011 would make a great used unit. They are solid. Today they are called Lifestyle. Hitchhiker and Excel are also great units. Try to stay away from anything built on Lippert frame.
kenneth wooster- retired farmer. Biblical History Teacher in public HS, and substitute teacher.
wife Diana-adult probation officer, now retired.
31KSLS Full Body paint Cameo
Ford F350 2014 DRW 4X4 King Ranch.
20K B&W Puck mount hitch

jaxteller
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the advice... any other brands? I've read that new horizons, Drv, lifestyle are good also?

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
agesilaus wrote:
Arctic Fox is one brand with a good rep for sturdy construction. They are also highly winterized. Not many seem to show up on the used market tho, which should tell you something.

Great minds! Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Arctic Fox or a Hitchhiker II would be a good starting place. Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021