cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

first trip in fifth wheel

lancekeys
Explorer
Explorer
Well, we took our first trip in our new to us fifth wheel. Everything went well. Had no problem backing in to the spot. The trailer was not quite as stable as I thought it should be, but the front jacks where on concrete and the back on dirt, so that may have been the problem. Much better than the tent trailer.
1999 dodge 2500 360 V-8
2002 28' Forest River Wildcat fifth wheel
21 REPLIES 21

jbmoo
Explorer
Explorer
we got a 2004 hr savoy 30'. we love it. I made some wheel stabilizer blocks out of 4x4 and ready rod. they work pretty good but still a little shake. not too bad tho. but I figure it is what it is. we can tolerate it. thanks for replies.
jbmoo
2013 ram 2500 cummins
2004 hr savoy

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
We've been fulltime 3 yrs and used the bal rear stabilizers once or twice now we don't, not enough shake to bother us.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu

avantidave
Explorer
Explorer
We miss our boating vacations, so we like a little movement because it reminds us of cruising and sleeping on our boats.
Dave

Coach-man
Explorer
Explorer
Just a thought since you are new, did you use anything under the rear stabilizers, (wood planks, etc.)? Since the rear was on dirt that may have helped with any movement. As I said just a thought since no one bought it up.

fly4fun
Explorer
Explorer
My wife hated the way our trailer shook. It never bothered me, so I got rid of the grouchy wife, problem solved!

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
I put scissor jacks behind the rear tires and crank them up. Works pretty well.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

heaterswa
Explorer
Explorer
Installed the JT Strong Arm Stabilizers today, what a difference in the stability. The 5'vr is rock solid. Pushing on the sides or jumping in the inside causes no movement after installing these. Just need a good drill, drill bits, and I also used the air compressor to tighten up the self tapping screws. Before installing these, the camper would shake around when someone would roll over. That is gone now.

-Bryan
Me, Wife, 3 daughters, and a woof woof
TV: 06 GMC 2500HD D/A SLT 4WD / Prodigy / Reese Signature 18K
FW: 07 KZ Durango 315BH / Fifth Airborne / Sidewinder / JT Strong Arm Stabilizers

Uppercrust
Explorer
Explorer
We have the rotochoks and also the JT strong arms, hardly any wiggle.
2012 F250 CC,FX4, Metallic blue/Silver
2012 Cruiser Patriot 345RF ๐Ÿ™‚ campers mom, dad
19 yr. old son
22 yr. old daughter
Diesel R.I.P.
Lady lab mix 16 R.I.P
Daisy beagle/collie
Misty shepard/husky
Camper's Have Smore Fun
14.5 Rallies
sleepovers 3

wandering1
Explorer
Explorer
When someone is walking around inside the 5er it will bounce/wiggle. Rubber tires will bounce, suspension systems are made to bounce. To eliminate the bouncing/wiggling you need to keep the weight from pushing down on the tires and suspension by making sure your stabilizers are tight between the 5er and the ground. Donโ€™t just let them out far enough to touch the ground, turn the crank more to make sure they are tight so they will not allow the 5er to push down on the tires. Use a bipod/tripod under the king pin. Make sure it is tight between the ground and the king pin, donโ€™t just adjust it till it touches, tighten it so the front overhang will not move. Make sure to check the stabilizers and bipod/tripod every couple of days because they will loosen up over time. Doesnโ€™t make sense spending a lot of money on landing jack stabilizers when the landing jacks are stable and donโ€™t bounce up and down. If you have properly adjusted the stabilizers and bipod/tripod then you shouldnโ€™t have any bouncing/wiggling. This has worked for me over the past 15 years.

Chocks are to keep the 5er from rolling forward or backwards. They do not eliminate the weight of the 5er from pushing down and causing the bouncing/wiggling. If you park on a site that has a incline/decline then you probably want to use chocks to keep your 5er from rolling when you unhitch.

There are a lot of other options out there to โ€œeliminateโ€ the bouncing/wiggling if you have the extra money and want to spend it.
HR

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
We also have scissor jacks installed in front of the tires. We sit in one site for 6 months . Chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
larry barnhart wrote:
ReneeG wrote:
brirene wrote:
Glad the trip went well for you! You could try X-lock chocks to help with the movement. They took out a great deal of movement in mine, although not all. Not as effective as the JT's, but not as pricey either.

We have these too and agree with you. The little jiggle there is doesn't bother us at all. To us it's part of RV'ing.

Maybe to you but not with my wife she like's a solid feel and we have that even in a strong wind. Easy to have it good .
chevman

Well, I gotta admit that our wiggle is very slight. We have rear stabilizers and we use interlocking pads so that the stabilizers are sitting on about a foot tall stack of chocks.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

SanMarMor
Explorer
Explorer
brirene wrote:
You could try X-lock chocks to help with the movement. They took out a great deal of movement in mine, although not all. Not as effective as the JT's, but not as pricey either.

I bought Rotochoks first, but the wiggle I was getting was the rear moving side to side. The wheel choks won't fix the side to side. So I put on JT Strong Arm and now it's stable. As long as I get the JT's adjusted right.

Mark
2007.5 Chevy 3500HD Crew DMax Dually 4x4 w/ Curt Q5 20K Hitch
2011 Sabre 31RETS-6 w/ TrailAir Pin

44 nights in 2013, 37 nights in 2014, 27 nights in 2015, 29 nights in 2016
34 nights in 2017, 27 in 2018

http://camping.morrises.com/

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
ReneeG wrote:
brirene wrote:
Glad the trip went well for you! You could try X-lock chocks to help with the movement. They took out a great deal of movement in mine, although not all. Not as effective as the JT's, but not as pricey either.

We have these too and agree with you. The little jiggle there is doesn't bother us at all. To us it's part of RV'ing.

Maybe to you but not with my wife she like's a solid feel and we have that even in a strong wind. Easy to have it good .
chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
brirene wrote:

2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton