cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fiver-Replacing flooring

alboy
Explorer
Explorer
Going to replace the carpet in the main area on our 07 Newmar Cypress with Pergo 10mm laminate or Tarkett engineered hickory hardwood Checked on past posts,but am looking for more recent installations,issues etc.I,M wondering if the laminate being a floating floor will take the abuse of 2 very heavy slides coming in and sitting on it as opposed to the engineered floor having a solid base.Whats your experience?
12 REPLIES 12

Darlene_S
Explorer
Explorer
We replaced the carpet in our 5th wheel with the stick on vinyl tiles. We left the carpet on the slides. I would love to get rid of that carpet also - it's gross! But I don't know how to do it. We have the slide that has a long bank of floor to ceiling cabinets, and the carpet goes under the cabinets. Any ideas?

oldbeek
Explorer
Explorer
I used the Pergo type floating floor from Costco. The slide does not contact the floor that much or it would have scrubbed up the carpet. You will need to vacuum up sand and gravel or it will scratch the floor when rough camping. Biggest job was pulling all the staples from the old carpet. I slid mine back under the slide. Looks great after 3 years even with wild bird dog tracking in mud at times.
1994 27sl Alpenlite with many mods, 2001 Dodge Cummins 2x4 3.54 Auto trans built shift kit and 2nd gear lock up mod. Mojave Green billet, triple disc low stall torque converter. Gauges and raptor 3/8inch fuel system. 12.5 mpg avg

alboy
Explorer
Explorer
Wondering when you remove the carpet and install a new floor say raising it 5/8 of an inch, is this going to affect how the slides seal ?

cpaulsen
Explorer
Explorer
alboy wrote:
cpaulsen did you go laminate?

Yes I did....got it at Lowes. It was an antique hardscraped hickory...10mm.
cpaulsen

alboy
Explorer
Explorer
Smj what are you going with for flooring?

smj224
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I have been slowing upgrading our 2001 Sunnybrook 5th wheel. Its a great rig other than the interior decor. We are replacing the carpet and flooring this week.

The wife has numerous photos on her Pinterest page under trailer upgrades. I think she is listed as Sherry J on the pages.

It takes some time to do all these upgrades but I am not willing to spend the 80k on the 5er I really want yet.

Regards,
Smj224
Bryan & Sherry
2001 Sunnybrook 31 BWFS 5er
2001 Ford F350 DRW 7.3

alboy
Explorer
Explorer
cpaulsen did you go laminate?

cpaulsen
Explorer
Explorer
I did mine in the 5ver. Left the carpet in the slide out and the carpet staying the bedroom except for the area by the sink/shower and by the stairs. It has held up very well and had no problems with the slide coming in and out.
cpaulsen

oughtsix
Explorer
Explorer
Have you thought about Cork flooring?
2006 Duramax Crew Cab Long Bed pickup.
2007 Coachman Captiva 265EX trailer.

alboy
Explorer
Explorer
Rough measurements about 150 sq ft less the old carpet etc ,so maybe 150 lbs, the good wife may have to cut back on her wardrobe!I would perfer to not have to worry about adding protection , just another inconvience.

RLGetman
Explorer
Explorer
First of all, be careful of the weight. I replaced carpet and linoleum (141 pounds) with all sheet vinyl even on the slides. I did not add any weight. If I would have replaced with the panels, I would have added 500+ pounds. Second, you can use strips of lexon to protect the new floor when you retract the room slides. Thanks

Rossey
Explorer
Explorer
I have been contemplating doing the same install so I will be monitoring this thread for information ......