cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fix for gelcoat fron caps that are faded?

sk734
Explorer
Explorer
Any body guys or restoration buffs out there. Please read this thread and let me know if this will hold up.
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/pictures-thursday-night-detailing-classes/79542-how-wetsand-cut-buff-gel-coat-boat.html

Thanks
30 REPLIES 30

tahoemc
Explorer
Explorer
Add Dutchmen Denali to the list of **** gelcoat jobs, the front caps on their 5'rs were dark brown and had a whole slew of them back in 2012-13 that went bad within months of leaving the factory. Of course they didn't want to cover, even under warranty. I kicked, stammered, bitched up a storm, they finally agreed to pay 1/2 the cost of a white automotive paint job and supplied new decals.

Hope you find a good solution.
2004 Ram 3500 Quad 4x4 Cummins w/auto 4.10 Reese w/ slider
2012 Dutchmen Denali 262rlx w/Moutain Package

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
If they will pay for gel coat & painting is more, I'd pay the difference for painting.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

kohai
Explorer
Explorer
sk734 wrote:
It's a Crusader. It is a 2015 and it is dark brown. I will probably paint it the tan color to match the side. Thanks for the reply

Prime Time is doing a 3 year warranty on the caps, if I remember correctly because of this problem. Contact PT and you may get them to pay for a local shop to redo it properly.
2014 Primetime Crusader 296BHS
2015 GMC 2500HD Denali

SabreCanuck
Explorer
Explorer
I think if it was me doing it I would spring a little extra $$ and have them paint a stripe on instead of decals. Never have to worry again and cleaning/ waxing would be easier? I know OP already has th decals though.
2011 GMC 2500 D-Max Denali
2015 Palomino Columbus 325RL
Our kids have 4 legs. ๐Ÿ™‚

Paul_Clancy
Explorer
Explorer
sk734 wrote:
Paul Clancy wrote:
Pay for paint and clear. Mine was fixed and looks great. 2014 crusader.

Did you paint it the same dark color?

Mine was done under warranty so yes same colour brown. $1500 if I had paid. Worth it.

JohnG3
Explorer
Explorer
Veebyes wrote:
Wow! The mistake was made the day the gelcoat was sprayed on the mold. Boats should be any colour as long as they are a shade of white. Dark colours on a boat exposed to the sun just do not last.

Weight is not so much a concern so boats tend to have thicker gelcoats than RVs.

An awful lot of labour & material went into restoring that boat. Maybe more than it is worth. RVs can be restored. 300 grit pads are extreme. Better to start with something like 3M rubbing compound. It is available in different grades depending on oxidation.

There is no such thing as one step to fix it. Start with the coarse compound & repeat using a finer compound to eventually multiple coats of a pure wax or sealant. Lots of work. Keeping it looking good will take waxing at least once a year.

If it is really that bad I'd look into having it sanded & painted with automotive paint followed by a couple coats of clear coat. That will have it looking better than new gelcoat.

Our Montana (white gel coat) had decals peel. Removing the bad decals left shadows where the gel coat wasn't faded. I Had very good results with Rejuvenater and a 7 inch buffer polishing out the exposed area. Hard to see where old decals were.
John and Elaine. Furry ones, Bubba, Buddy, Barney and Miss Chevious
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40 SP
Know guns, know safety, know peace. No guns, no safety, no peace.

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
Paint is the only lasting cure. Mine cost $1500.00 plus decals for the front. A couple years later the rear went that was $1050 plus decals. Looked so good when it was done that I got rid of it.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

Bayley
Explorer
Explorer
I had the fading problem on my 2014 Northwood Arctic Fox. I rubbed and polished and spit shined and rubbed some more. No matter what I did it always faded again and kept getting worse. Save yourself the time, energy and frustration......have it painted and never look back!!!
Semper Fi

Tony, Darlene & the boss Bentley!
2013 Ram CTD, Ride-Rite Air Bags, B&W Turnover Ball and Andersen "Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection".
2014 Arctic Fox 29-5K 5th wheel with Reese Airborne Pin Box.

sk734
Explorer
Explorer
I have new decals. The question is whether you repaint and install the decals then clearcoat or must you paint then clearcoat and then apply decals? Basically can decals to be under clearcoat finish?

eDUBz
Explorer
Explorer
Repaint and clear coat - just like a car paint job, PPG - Valspar - Axalta - BASF all top brands.
LBZ - Stealth TH - RZR 900 4 - Honda 450X - Paddleboarder - Fisherman - Kayaker

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
sk734 wrote:
For those who have painted the caps can you shoot clearcoat over the decals to keep them from drying out and peeling later or are they to big to clearcoat?

I dont think that would be wise because there's on way to prep them or sand the existing surface around them.
I did away with the front graphics and actually prefer the clean look.

sk734
Explorer
Explorer
I have been told that the dark color is ok if auto paint is used with clear coat. I am going to consider keeping dark-not sure.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
sk734 wrote:
It's a Crusader. It is a 2015 and it is dark brown. I will probably paint it the tan color to match the side. Thanks for the reply

I'm in the same boat with my Northwoods Fox Mountain. I know Keystone, Forest River, Heartland and at least Jayco all have had problems with the dark brown and the dark grey. I too will get it painted the same light tan as the sides. Ironically a couple years after I bought mine Northwood changed the grey to a lighter grey and the dropped the dark brown for the lighter tan color. I see Jayco did the same thing.

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
If I was good at posting pictures I would show a 2014 brown Redwood that faded from the sun. From a tan back to the original brown using poli glow. It is hard to believe but using poli glow on our white alpenlite I know how great poli glow is.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110