Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Flood Damage Query

Brantime
Explorer
Explorer
Greetings!
We had a call that our van, Ford f250 SD, and 2011 flagstaff fifth wheel were flooded.
The water got into the basement alittle, and the underbelly is saturated.
Where do we begin? Called our Insurance agent and now wonder what we will need to do next.
What all should we be concerned about under the floor of the RV?
Can this effect the integrity of the flooring? (Vaccum floor system). Water in the heat ducting? Any electrical issues that we should make sure that gets inspected?
We are full timers (100% disabled veteran)...
I would appreciate any constructive thoughts, or words of wisdom on this issue!
Thanks in advance!
Just another day in Paradise!
15 REPLIES 15

Brantime
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Happy...thanks for the reminder ...but I would never use a message board as my sole advice source, lol!
Believe it or not, our Insurance Company told us they weren't sure what the SOP was for RVs...
Told us we could get an RV Tech to submit an estimate to them and they would accept it.
That is why I am soliciting advice or options from others ...to make sure nothing falls in the cracks.

Happy_Prospecto
Explorer
Explorer
Have you called your insurance agent? What did they have to say? You would get better answers from your agent than from a bunch of keyboard rangers, don't ya think?

The information is out there, all you have to do is let it in.
Kevin
Retired, Fulltime RV'er, 1999.5 F350 4X4 CC Diesel Flatbed
2007 Alpenlite Defender Toyhauler, 2019 Polaris Ranger
Bob, the Yorkie Terrier helping me prospect til the money runs out

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think I'd become the insurance company's most frequent caller, asking them what is the protocol for flood-damaged RVs? They might be willing to pay for a cleanup if it's required rather than totaling the unit. At the very least and since you mentioned the underbelly got wet, everything underneath needs to be pulled out and dried out. If water got into the underfloor ducting it needs to be drained out and purged, and at least the insulation, if any, needs to be replaced. Hope your insurance covers you for inability to occupy since you're full-timers.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

Brantime
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the responses with words of wisdom, lol!
We are in Eastern Texas, on the Mud Creek...
We have an RV Tech coming out in a day or so, to drop part of the underbelly and determine an estimate of repair for the Insurance Company. I will know our course of action after his visit.
We are staying with our daughter until we have the tech inspect, and our water well repaired.
Thanks again for any and all suggestions!

Irelands_child
Explorer
Explorer
I suspect that you might get the 5er dried out just fine if the flood only reached the storage area though it will take quite a bit of work. A couple days of leaving everything open along with a good mopping may be all that is needed though I suspect that any belly covering will need to be removed and whatever fiberglass batting insulation is there be replaced and any ducting checked and drained - and the sooner the better. I wouldn't try to operate any slides until the motors and wiring have had a chance to dry out if they were inundated. The van - if water got into the electronics, it may be beyond economic repair. If the flood just wet things down at the floorboard level, maybe it can be dried and returned to service. All the above - I repeat, the soonest you can get at it to prevent rot, rust and mold.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Keep in mind several things. Most modern cars and trucks have all the electronics on the floorboard under the seats and/or center consoles. Electronics and water are a bad combination. Also, the sound deadening materials used in the newer vehicles wick the water up into places that cannot be reached. My HHR was flooded and to completely remove all mold and water damage they would have had to remove the entire dash assembly as the water had wicked up all the way to the windshield. Secondly, both your vehicles will have a 'ding' on their history as to being flooded via carfax, decreasing their value. On another note, if you're full timers did you not see the water rising??? Just curious....good luck...Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
At my work, we had a dozen vans and pickups get flooded with about 20" of water in the parking lot. What they did was change the transmission fluid, and inspect the rear axle fluid to make sure they did not have water in them.

Later they replaced the 5 X 200 HP storm water pumps with 4 pumps - 1,200 HP each and 48" diameter water lines leading out into the LA River. Turns out that one of the 5 pumps had a queen size blanket get sucked into the inlet, and shut that pump off.

Anyway the truck is not 'destroyed'. IT really depends on how deep the water got where the trailer is parked. A couple of inches above the floorpan, and it probably will dry out and not leave behind any bad smells. Yet if the smells are around, then that might destroy the trailer.

What state are you in? You might consider going out to Tucson, where it is very dry! It is a lot cooler than Phoenix, where it might reach 100 soon. There is a Escapees park in Benson, I have stayed there many times. There is a nearby Coast to Coast park as well.

Changing the transmission and rear axle fluid is cheap insurance that they are not damaged. Check your oil. If there are any white specks in it, after running it for a minute or so, do not restart it until the filter and oil have been changed. It is really difficult for water to get into the engine, it is pretty well protected against water going in - because cars drive in the rain.

Good luck,

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
Where is your rig at ?
I am in Gilmer and we drove to Lake O' the Pines & Caddo Saturday to look at the rising waters.supposedto crest on Caddo by Wednesday.
There is a mobil rv repair in Longview if you can't move it.

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
I'd let insurance handle it. You don't want to get mixed up in flood repairs unless you absolutely have to.

If water entered the cabin either vehicle it should be totaled. Particularly if it's salt water. I would think that water high enough to saturate the underside of the trailer would total it.

Alllllll that being said, I've had success in restoring flood totaled vehicles. Fresh water. One was fully submerged. It's tedious work but if done right can be good as new. The cost of labor, however, would total it (I did it myself).
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
A lot of the wiring is in the sub structure, at least on my 5ver. So that is a cause for concern. But you should be able to inspect it once you drop plastic sheeting. If it has fiberglass insulation that will all be ruined in any case.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
My Dad's motorhome was in a flood. He had to replace the sub flooring, it became soft and rotted in spots.

Brantime
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure about the fire/flood clean up companies...
I know the Insurance companies deal with autos but not sure about RV technology!

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
curious IF one of the fire,flood disaster companies that do clean up could help you.

Brantime
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks...the water did in fact get into both vehicles...just not sure about our RV.