cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fresh water tank question

mr__old_style
Explorer
Explorer
Need a little help in understanding the layout of my freshwater tanks.
I have two tanks 55 gallons each approx. There connected together near the bottom with an approx. 1 1/4" hose. Without pulling them down I cant see all the connections, but it appears each tank has a couple vent lines in the top, I believe the fill line comes into one of them and flows into the second via the 1 1/4" line. I also believe the rear tank has a 1/2" or so line that runs to the pump. That 1 1/4" line that connects the two tanks is close to 1 1/2" up on the sidewall of the tank. That being the case that front tank always has at least and inch and a half of water in it. Is that common or is there a suction line going into that front tank that I'm not seeing. Seriously considering pulling the tanks out and putting the connector line down on the bottom of the front tank and raising it up a little, (or dropping the rear tank down) so the water has a chance to flow into second tank. Any thoughts?

2008 Cyclone 3912
19 REPLIES 19

honda4us
Explorer
Explorer
spin welding They should be able to help you out, note you do need a 1 HP or larger router to install the fittings.
Martin & Wendy
Jessica & Alex
Sundance the guard dog
'15 3500HD C/C LTZ BLACK LMLD/A 4X4,B & W HITCH :B
'12 3500 EC/LB SRW
'13 Raptor 381LEV W/GOODYEAR G614's
4 Honda ATV's,:B '14 Can-AM Spyder RT-Limited :B

Ralleys attended 17 and counting :B:B

mr__old_style
Explorer
Explorer
high desert wrote:
mr. old style wrote:
Jim Cindy wrote:
I like high deserts solution to use the tank drain lines for pump supply. Should make all the water capacity usable.

Therein lies the problem. The front tank has no drain line. The only way for water to get out is through the connection to the other tank which is 1 1/2" above the bottom (measured) making it theoritaclly(sp) impossible for it to drain.

I would definitely add a drain to that tank. You can use a spin weld fitting that will make the job fairly easy.

That would work do you have a source for the fittings?

high_desert
Explorer
Explorer
mr. old style wrote:
Jim Cindy wrote:
I like high deserts solution to use the tank drain lines for pump supply. Should make all the water capacity usable.

Therein lies the problem. The front tank has no drain line. The only way for water to get out is through the connection to the other tank which is 1 1/2" above the bottom (measured) making it theoritaclly(sp) impossible for it to drain.

I would definitely add a drain to that tank. You can use a spin weld fitting that will make the job fairly easy.

06 Silverado 3500 CC DRW 4x4 LT3 D/A
09 Fuzion 393 Touring Edition
Banks SpeedBrake & Economind Power Pack tuner
TrailerSaver Air Ride hitch (TS3)
BrakeSmart
08 Polaris Outlaw 525 KTM IRS
08 Honda TRX 400 EX
08 Polaris Scrambler 500 4x4
Honda TRX 250 EX

Bonefish
Explorer
Explorer
mr. old style wrote:
I have the bottom off mine also, and the line is 1 1/2" up the side of the tank that part I have measured. I just dont know what there thinking when the design/build these things. The drains for the plumbing come out right in the middle of the trailer right above the middle axle, not exactly easy to get to. Would it have been that costly to use an extra 4 ft of half inch house and brought them over within reach of the side wall :h

The lines to drain the tanks should be near the bottom edge of the tank or in the floor of the tank. Any plumbing for access to valves should not be in or near the wheel wells. Reason is if a tire blows or separates the flailing tire tread will rip out any thing it wraps around or hits. It would most likely rip the plumbing out of the tank.

mr__old_style
Explorer
Explorer
Jim Cindy wrote:

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
If you want to modify in order to get the full amount of water, I would leave the factory piping alone. Drill the bottom of each tank and install 1/2" brass fittings. Run a 1/2" poly tube between the tanks for balancing. You don't need it to flow fast, you just need it to flow.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

64thunderbolt
Explorer II
Explorer II
my 122 gal has a sump about 6" square and 3" deep on the end. The supply line is installed there.
Glen
04 Tail gator XT 34' 5th wheel garage model
200w solar 2 GC2's 800w inv
Truma tankless WH
99 F350 CC DRW 7.3 ais intake, adrenaline hpop, JW valve body,
cooling mist water inj, DP tunes, 4" exh sys
trucool trans cooler added
2011 RZR 900xp

Jim_Cindy
Explorer
Explorer
PBH Portable Beach House

2008 GMC 2500HD Duramax Allison :C
2009 Cameo 34CK3
MorRyde IS, Disc Brakes, G614's
PullRite Super Glide Hitch
Propane fueled Yamaha EF 2400is

mr__old_style
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
mr. old style wrote:
I have the bottom off mine also, and the line is 1 1/2" up the side of the tank that part I have measured. I just dont know what there thinking when the design/build these things. The drains for the plumbing come out right in the middle of the trailer right above the middle axle, not exactly easy to get to. Would it have been that costly to use an extra 4 ft of half inch house and brought them over within reach of the side wall :h

The tank is directly above the axle to allow the axles to carry the weight of the water. Access is secondary to structural integrity.

The drains I'm talking about are probably at least 5 feet or more behind the tanks. Both tanks are well in front of the axles

high_desert
Explorer
Explorer
I had the same problem on my Fuzion although on mine there is an outlet to the pump on both tanks. There would still be a bunch of water left in the tanks when the pump would start sucking air.

I tee'd off the tank drain fittings and ran the supply to the pump from there, then plugged the original outlets on the side of both tanks. Problem solved.

06 Silverado 3500 CC DRW 4x4 LT3 D/A
09 Fuzion 393 Touring Edition
Banks SpeedBrake & Economind Power Pack tuner
TrailerSaver Air Ride hitch (TS3)
BrakeSmart
08 Polaris Outlaw 525 KTM IRS
08 Honda TRX 400 EX
08 Polaris Scrambler 500 4x4
Honda TRX 250 EX

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
mr. old style wrote:

The tank is directly above the axle to allow the axles to carry the weight of the water. Access is secondary to structural integrity.
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

WingHauler
Explorer
Explorer
The bottom of my 104 gallon tank has an area about 4" x 4" that is about an inch lower than the rest of the tank and that is where the fittings are for the suction hose. It doesn't appear like the hose would ever catch on anything as it is above the axles.
2012 Ram 3500 Crew Cab SRW
2017 Keystone Montana 3610RL

mr__old_style
Explorer
Explorer

mnichols
Explorer
Explorer
Since I just took the bottom enclosure off my trailer I can tell you my 2 tanks measure 5 1/2" H x 3' W x 5' L. The line that connects the two takes is about 3/4" up from the bottom of the tanks to the bottom of the outlet. I suppose you could drill a whole in the bottom and connect them. Maybe you could tilt the other side of the tank just a bit? Mine seem to have a little room to do that.