cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Front Bunkhouse fifth wheel

LIKE2BUILD
Explorer
Explorer
We're considering moving up to a 5er. We've had a quad bunk TT for 12 years but we're thinking it's time to upgrade a bit and move to a fifth wheel. I have plenty of truck (just need to watch pin weight due to SRW) so the options should be pretty open.

We definitely want to stay with a bunkhouse RV. Our 2 younger boys (10 and 😎 will be in the house for quite a while and the convenience of bunks is wonderful. In the past I've seen several models that put the bunks in the front, after all, why not have the kids climb the stairs. But in my recent searches I haven't found all that many options.

The Jayco Eagle HT 29.5FBDS seems like a pretty good option. Although it might be a little bit on the small side, it looks like a nice layout.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a FRONT BUNK 5er? Rear bunks might be okay, but I'm kind of stuck on the front bunk idea....that is unless there is another bunk layout that is just phenomenal.

Thanks, I appreciate any suggestions.

KJ
'14 Ram 2500|Crew Cab Long Bed|4X4|Cummins
Curt Q20 with Ram 5th Wheel Prep
2000 Crownline 205BR
1997 Ranger Comanche 461VS
'01 Polaris Virage TX PWC
'94 Polaris SLT750 PWC
3 Wonderful Sons (21, 15, & 13)
1 forgiving wife!!!
19 REPLIES 19

fugawi
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have been looking at the front bunkhouse too, and am liking the Jayco Eagle HT 29.5FBDS so far.

The puzzle I am trying to solve is a floorplan with a 60x80 main bed, and something with an 80" or longer secondary bed, and trying to stay closer to 35'± and reasonable pin weight.

I looked at several models with rear double or queen bunks which were all 74"± long, and thought I could get a larger mattress to extend over the steps. See thread here: http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/29071882.cfm

Looking at the Jayco Eagle HT 29.5HBDS, it looks like the bottom floor of the bunk room could be one large bed with a maximum size of 74"x93", plenty big. And we would still have the top bunks for storage or other sleeping if necessary. It looks like you could do the same thing with the Springdale 320FWFB.

This front bunkhouse floorplan seems like it would be pretty nice, with the bathroom on the main level and a decent window out the back bedroom.

I looked at a couple of front living floorplans, and really like how open they are and how the front is kind of flex space depending on your needs. I actually like these floorplans better. However, they seem to be closer to 38-42' and heavier pin weight. Also, the fold out couches won't be as comfortable as a decent mattress on the floor of the front area. They also have 4-5 slides rather than the 2 slides of the 29.5FBDS.

Anyone know of any other nice front bunk plans?

LIKE2BUILD
Explorer
Explorer
I came across a pretty nicely priced Keystone Springdale 286FWBH. I know it's not a high end RV but the unit available is nearly new and priced pretty reasonably.

The one for sale near me is almost identical to this 2015 Springdale 286FWBH.

Any comments on fit, finish, and durability of the Springdales? It seems outfitted with some nice features, I just don't have any point of reference for overall quality of the brand.

Thanks.
2000 Crownline 205BR
'94 Polaris SLT750 PWC
1 forgiving wife!!!

LIKE2BUILD
Explorer
Explorer
vampirefish wrote:
Nothing but problems with my 2016 371REBH Sandpiper... delamination, windows falling apart, rear jack broke, 2 windows have fallen apart, floor has dents in it... the list goes on 😞 I would steer clear ...

Yikes, that sounds like a mess.

The SandPiper I mentioned was sent back to the factory. Forrest River completely replaced the 'driver' side and also the side on the main slide. So, this wasn't just a patch job, they did a complete re-work of the trailer. However, that doesn't mean there won't be future issues.

Our current TT is aluminum sided, which has it's own pluses and minuses. It seems as I've looked around for 5er's is that delamination is a fairly common issue that folks have to deal with. That concerns me quite a bit because those repairs can get expensive really quick.
2000 Crownline 205BR
'94 Polaris SLT750 PWC
1 forgiving wife!!!

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
How soon are you looking to buy? May have an option w/ ours if your interested. PM me for more info. Not front bunks, but decent BH w/ loft area for storage. BH is in rear.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

vampirefish
Explorer
Explorer
Nothing but problems with my 2016 371REBH Sandpiper... delamination, windows falling apart, rear jack broke, 2 windows have fallen apart, floor has dents in it... the list goes on 😞 I would steer clear ...
2004 Jamboree GT 31W

LIKE2BUILD
Explorer
Explorer
mtofell1 wrote:
I'd be leery of a trailer with de-lamination issues. Basically, with all the good ones out there why buy something that has had problems?

True. If it was just a spot repair I would shy away. The owner told me the problem was a corner around the slide out frame had leaked and water got behind it and caused the delamination. The dealer took it back to Forrest River and rather than repairing the spot they replaced the entire side of the trailer. There was also a spot of delimitation around a window on the slide out. The factory also replaced that entire wall too.

Considering the extent of the repair I'm not too concerned about the original failure. It's kind of like buying a refurbished computer because rather than just being assembled down a line a more experienced set of hands had to look over everything and ensure it is all correct.

I"m not totally sold on it yet, but I wanted to get overall opinions of SandPipers.

Thanks.
2000 Crownline 205BR
'94 Polaris SLT750 PWC
1 forgiving wife!!!

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
I'd be leery of a trailer with de-lamination issues. Basically, with all the good ones out there why buy something that has had problems?

The Jayco you mention was on my list. I ended up with a Keystone Hideout 308bhds. Bigger than I wanted but love the rear bunk room and half bath for mom and dad.

LIKE2BUILD
Explorer
Explorer
Hey folks, I'm back to this topic with a new option. I've come across a 2012 Forrest River SandPiper 32QBBS that is for sale locally. The owner recently had it sent back to factory for some delamination issues and it the work looks excellent. Overall it's really clean with nice equipment. Are there any owners out there? What are your thoughts and/or opinions?

KJ
2000 Crownline 205BR
'94 Polaris SLT750 PWC
1 forgiving wife!!!

southernsnow
Explorer
Explorer
We toured the Highland Ridge RV (Open Range) RF376FBH when we were at the factory this past summer. Their website has floorplans and specs. We have three boys almost grown, but when we were in it our reaction was " this would be perfect for kids!"

Small fridge, tv, sofa/beds and a door to close -- maybe we'd hideout in there!!

Good luck with your search.

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
I'm in the exact same boat and am contemplating the move up the 5th from a TT. I need to watch my weight and am trying to stick to less than 9K dry weight.

I really like the 29.5fbds but I believe it has no outdoor kitchen which was a deal killer for me. The Outback 302fbh is nice the bunk area is small. I think I've decided on an XLite 29RBS but need to sell my TT first so we'll see how many times I change my mind 🙂

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Saw a front BH model a few years ago and if I recall right, bathroom was up the stairs. So with that being said, kinda throws the "make the kids climb the stairs" option out the window. Plus too, I want to say that the bottom bunk was on floor.

We are at the point we'd like to upgrade to a rear LR as we only have 1 kid left at 16yo, so need for a BH is not necessary. Like AP said, just need to plant a new $$$ tree.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

rblake39
Explorer
Explorer
Look at the Columbus 377MB. Its a mid bunk. I like the mid bunks better as the living room is in the rear which is usually where the nicer view is. Check out all the mid bunks. A lot of manufacturers making them now.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
While I have no plans to purchase another bunkhouse RV I am intrigued by the mid bunkhouse floor plans as shown below. There are a few others with this layout

19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

leggy
Explorer
Explorer
We walked through an open range that had a den in front that was similar to bunk house, but it was big 5er. There are also the mid bunk 5ers that are good layout, but again 40' long. We ended up going with a grand design 323bh rear bunk and love it.