cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

FRUSTRATED SHOPPING FOR A NEW RIG

bigdw58
Explorer
Explorer
The wife and I our shopping for a new Fiver. We recently sold our 2001 Sunnybrook and are looking for it's replacement. I will be retiring in the next year and we are looking for a new unit and the more I look and research new RV's the more disappointing it gets. We are looking for a mid to upper range unit in the $50-60K range. We are looking at the Montana High Country, Heartland Big Horn, Jayco North Point & Eagle, Keystone Alpine, Forest River Blue Ridge & Cedar Creek, Palomino Columbus. I know there will always be issues with new R.V.'s as I have bought several units new over the years. However after reading some of the review's on line and the horror stories some people have and not getting the factory support is very disturbing. It seems like a **** shoot these days, maybe we get a good one or maybe we don't. Just hold your breath and hang on! These large issues and lack of factory support and or build quality is all across the board and not just limited to the low end entry units. One of my co-workers ordered and bought a new $400K M.H. last year and it has been the M.H. from H%$@LL. They are now in legal mitigation through the Lemon law to get there money back. Sorry for such a long rant, not really looking for answers just venting my frustration. P.S. I have a 2016 F350 SRW Crew cab Diesel 4x4 truck. I have also considered a used high end model unit but they seem to be hard to find. Thanks for listening and feel free to share your view's on the subject.
2016 FORD F350 SD LARIAT 4x4
2001 Sunny Brook 27RKS 5th Wheel
20 REPLIES 20

Chuck___
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking also. At first I thought I could hopefully find a good use 5th wheel in the lower $30k range. For the pass two plus years I have been trying to educate myself on tow vehicles and RV's . First and most important trying to find out what I can "safety" tow. Finally found the answer on this web site RVSEF.com or RUSEF http://www.rvsafety.com/rv-education/matching-trucks-to-trailers . You have a newer truck and can tow a lot more than my old 99 Dodge 3/4 diesel.

I am now looking a both new and used RV's. For new RV in the $50k to $60K range look a Northwood/ Arctic Fox RV. Heard nothing but good things about their RVs. I thought at fist a 30 foot 27-5T model to hopefully get into most state camp grounds. My wife and I just look a Arctic Fox 29-5T that is 33'X11" long. She likes the bigger 29-5T unit. Had a new 29-5T unit price out for $54,775.

For used units if you want a RV around the 34,36 or more long size look at Dream Suits / DRV. They have Disc brakes and other high end features like 3-1/2" walls. I have seen 2007 to 2012 year used units in the mid 40K's to 60K range plus. These DRV units are truly full time designed units.

For Deamers; check out this very high end RV brand I just found, LUXE.
https://augusta-rv.com/luxe/ Could possibly be the highest end brand 5th wheel made. New ones are in the price range of $135000, plus.

I am still dreaming for finding a good used unit, but most private seller want a lot for them, say 2012 to 2016 Arctic Fox units $42,000 to $49.000. You can get a new unit for about $4,000 to $7,000 dollars more.

Good luck and wish me luck also.
Chuck

bswan
Explorer
Explorer
Bigdw58,

My wife and I just sold our 2001 Sunnybrook 31 BWFS last week as well. It was a wonderful unit and it tough me how to look for quality. We ended up buying a 2011 Carriage Cameo F37CKSLS. The new 5th wheel is a wonderful upgrade and will serve our needs well. If I were you I would look for a used DRV, Carriage or Lifestyle. Another option already mentioned is Artic Fox. Your SRW may be the deciding factor.

Best of luck,
Bryan

Aridon
Explorer
Explorer
It is a myth that high end units don't have issues. They have all the same issue but you'll pay twice as much. They are also not built twice as good as the price would indicate. I should know.

You run into a sliding scale where doubling your money does more on the lower end than the higher end. Seems to top our around the Grand Design level. Not claiming they are identical to higher end units, just that the money you spend to go up from there is dubiously spent on a dollar per gain basis.
2019 Grand Design Momentum 395
2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10

2014.5 DRV Atlanta (sold)

2008 Newmar 4330 (Modified) Sold

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
In addition to potential weight concern, don't assume the high end 5ers are immune to problems. There have been postings here about issues with them also.

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
You might put Arctic Fox on your "look at" list. Any manufacturer that goes out of their way to carpet the ceiling can't be all bad. I had the same "mouse fur" on a travel trailer and considered it upscale.

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
Try using RV trader for a used rv. If you are willing to travel to pick it up you should be able to find what you are looking for. Keep in mind that high quality units are typically very heavy and you may need to look at pin weights and what your SRW can accommodate. Actually with any 5th wheel over 30 feet you may run out of GVWR on your truck.

You should be able to find a used DRV Mobile suites in the 60k range but they are very heavy. Dually or bigger. Might also check out Outdoors RV and Arctic fox which are in your rang. Their construction materials and methods are better than most especially in the trailer frame.

Good luck with your search.
2022 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2520 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.