cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Furnace won't turn on

kmgk92
Explorer
Explorer
Our furnace stopped working overnight. Woke up to a freezing 44 degree camper. We have propane. The stove and water heater are both working. When I turn the thermostat on I hear a click but then nothing. I'm not even sure where to look to trouble shoot this. Can someone help me out? I have a 2013 cougar xlite 29RBS
22 REPLIES 22

Durhamcutter
Explorer
Explorer
We had a problem with our heater, the control card that is in it fell out, had to remove cover and stick it back in, works great now.

partsman01
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for letting us know the results, may help someone in the future.

kmgk92
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you to everyone for your suggestions. The end result was a bad circuit board. The reason I could not find the board or rest switch is thanks to the wonderful job Keystone did installing our furnace(NOT!!). Our furnace is under the fridge which is not a terrible spot however, the only way you can actually work on the unit is by disconnecting everything! We do not have an outside access panel. All of the vents, wires and the propane line had to be removed in order to get to the front of the unit. At least now I know when buying my next unit I will be checking for an access panel to work on the furnace! The labor actually cost twice as much as the part.

lee_worsdell
Explorer
Explorer
sounds like a limit switch 6.00 for part. Same thing happened to me at Daytona this year

mountainsam
Explorer
Explorer
We had the same problem. Faulty circuit board. Cost $175 to repair and Suburban would only refund something like $80. We were in Northern Lower Michingan and froze until we got back home to California. Make sure you take it to a dealer, I was at a repair shop who said they were Suburban dealers but I had to pay up front and then deal with Suburban.
2017 Thor Gemini 23TR w/ 3.2 Power Stroke turbo diesel
2014 Ram 6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel Crew Cab, Long Bed 4X4 6 Speed Auto (sold)
2013 Rockwood Signature 8281 WS w/Sidewinder Pin (sold)
DW and Sofie our Black Lab /Boxer and Phoebe our Schnoodle

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
Youtube has some good info on rv furnaces.

rockintom
Explorer
Explorer
You're welcome, and please don't keep us in suspense....let us know what fixed it! rockin'
Rockintom
'12 Excel Limited GKE 33 ft., trailer named "Charm"
'14 1 ton Chevy DRW D/A Reese 20K hitch Fold-A-Cover bedcover - truck named "Bullet" Fulltiming since 2005

kmgk92
Explorer
Explorer
Well even though I'm usually known for being "Mrs. Fixit" I'm throwing the towel in on this one. I bought a portable heater for now. I will have to just pay for the service call tomorrow. But I will remain in eye shot of what he does so I know where everything is in the future!! Thanks everyone for all the suggestions.

rockintom
Explorer
Explorer
kmgk92 wrote:
I have no idea where to find the circuit boards. I'm guessing I would need to pull the unit out.

Not meaning to be a smart-a**, but if you don't know much about the furnace....it may be money ahead to get a RV tech (gas certified) to take a look at it. BTW...the circuit board is behind the exterior panel on a Suburban furnace...unit doesn't have to come out. I agree with others, you have to have basic purge fan operation from the get go or no other circuits downstream will work. It's a safety thing. rockin'
Rockintom
'12 Excel Limited GKE 33 ft., trailer named "Charm"
'14 1 ton Chevy DRW D/A Reese 20K hitch Fold-A-Cover bedcover - truck named "Bullet" Fulltiming since 2005

kmgk92
Explorer
Explorer
I have no idea where to find the circuit boards. I'm guessing I would need to pull the unit out.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
on the housing for a small circuit breaker. The fan must start before any other functions will start.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
kmgk92 wrote:
The fan does not come on. We are not dry camping. I have tried turning the thermostat off and waiting for 20 minutes before turning it back on. None of the fuses are blown. I have a call in for in site service but being a Sunday I don't think I will see them until tomorrow. We are connected to shore power.

Might be a bad control board or lack of 12V to the furnace in the furnace, if the fan doesn't run. That is one of the primary requirements to run. Fan on - sail switch - 15 second purge, gas, spark, HEAT :B

Might be a loose wire at the furnace.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

kmgk92
Explorer
Explorer
The fan does not come on. We are not dry camping. I have tried turning the thermostat off and waiting for 20 minutes before turning it back on. None of the fuses are blown. I have a call in for in site service but being a Sunday I don't think I will see them until tomorrow. We are connected to shore power.

Jerry_B
Explorer
Explorer
Did he say he was dry camping?
Jerry B
Mobile Suites 36TK3